Availability of the 1.4TSI

11 hours ago, eastendpar said:

Can't believe that Skoda can't plan things better than this.

I'd say Skoda have planned things perfectly. The Kodiaq is selling well and they haven't got an excess of stock. That's a perfect balance of supply/demand as far as they are concerned.

No offence to you or anyone else, but Skoda aren't going to care if you don't buy a Kodiaq - there are enough other people ordering them right now.

8 minutes ago, eastendpar said:

have a production gap of their best selling Kodiaq variants

How do you know they are the best selling variants? And how do you know they have a production gap? It sounds to me as though they have filled up the order books for the factory right up to week 32 - don't forget it's one factory supplying everywhere, not just the UK. The minor problem is that they are not filling order slots after week 32, but if they then open the books again in June, all it will mean is that the order to delivery time decreases for a while as the orders fill up and take all those unallocated slots, before creeping back up to the usual 12 weeks or so.

SKODA UK know the contact details for Auto express, Autocar, What Car etc if they want to announce the Opening of the Order Books of the Kodiaq 1.5 TSI in the UK with a Press Release.

And Skoda Main Dealership Principal Dealers  / Sales Executives know Skoda UK's Contact Details.

So someone is not telling  or someone does not know yet, like maybe Skoda UK.  which is strange as supposedly Skoda is 'Simply Clever'.

So ask the Importers, they can ask Rod McLeod head of Skoda in the UK, and he can ask Paul Willis head of VW in the UK.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

It'll be the dealers that are likely to be as miffed as the customer.

A customer walks into their showroom with the intent of doing a deal on a Kodiaq with the 1.4 TSI engine.

"Sorry sir I can't take your money."

"OK, I'll have the 1.5 TSI then instead." "Sorry sir, I can't order one of them either, so again I can't take your money."

"When can you take my money?"

"August, maybe July."

"OK, thanks, bye!"

Whilst Skoda will care less about what we think, if their dealers are upset then this won't be good for Skoda UK, especially if sales of the Kodiaq are as good as they're being made out to be.

• Like 1

VW Group UK like positive, 2 positives for every negative.   A teacher is taught....

Say how well they do, how many more they first register than last year etc etc.  Never be negative.

Promote Front men / woman with lots of front and a little deaf, dumb and blind are always welcome at the head of VW Group UK.

http://fleetworld.co.uk/top-level-staff-changes-at-volkswagen-group-uk 

Instead of Das Auto or Vorsprung Durch Technik it is now 'Mushrooms' 

Keep in the dark and shovel with Sh!,t.

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.3d0cd25182f29ac829db4d9064ddc2cf.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

The way it works is the factory looks at the build slots and parts needed (I think it is a daily computer allocation algorithm) and then issues a stop taking orders notice when it reaches max quantity by chosen date

Does not help any salesperson or potential customer as suddenly they are withdrawn.  

The daft part is that there is no link up with opening the orders for the replacement engine.  Of course in a customer focused world, would open the orders for 1.5tsi (even if deliveries not expected until August), instead of current crazy situation where you cannot order either.  But its actually worst than that as the order opening date is withheld.  In my opinion should be an orders reopen date, rather than letting everyone guess if it is a week, month, 3 months away.    Those coming off PCH and PCP deals need more clarity if they should be waiting or finding something else.  

The new emissions test is just a smokescreen, there have been plenty of brochures over the years where consumption is TBA for a new engine or revised version of the car.   Logically should still be able to order (even if ordering blind to final specs).  In fact this is a continuous event (every brochure has note specs may change since going to print).  Should be the customer who chooses to wait, or accepts the risk that spec as delivered might be updated

Although Kodiaq is too big for me, I have a PCH that runs out end Sept.   Now I'm not sure if Skoda will be able to deliver me a car by that date.   Seems easy way to lose a repeat customer.

Not only do the tests need carried out on vehicles built and available for the testing in the EU.

VW Group paid 1.1 million for the UK Governments testing of sample VW Group vehicles coming into the UK.

So no more Grey Areas, 'Implausible / Irregular' results.

When they say under the new tests these results can be achieved then if re-tested under the test conditions they must be achieving them.

So there is a reason to not take orders that leave the customers not only without an idea when they get a vehicle, 

but actually what they can have, engine / drivetrain / gearbox / tyre sizes / can tow or can not, needs extra cooling / wiring.

'Simply clever'.  Skoda UK needs to move their butts.

The 1.5 TSI will have  PPF - petrol particle filter to be "green-er" and needs that extra .1 boost of volume to maintain same engine power output due to exhaust gases slowing down when travelling through this new filter.

German engineers have calculated that the most efficient engines are 500ccm/cylinder and that the bore diameter must be smaller than the stroke, that's why all german engines are moving to:

1.5L - 3 cylinder

2.0L - 4 cylinder

2.5L - 5 cylinder

3.0L - 6 cylinder

4.0L - 8 cylinder

Now with the 3 cylinder engine there's the problem of unballanced firings and with bigger the engine, the more vibrations it gives out, that's why the 3 cylinder engines are 1.0L - 1.2L. But you still need a gap between and 1.4L 4 cylinder was the gap, and adding more filter elements and comlicated exhaust systems, you need to increase the volume.

And with the 1.5L addition, VW can cancel 1.4L AND 1.8L and just make more 1.5L and 2.0L engines, this is than more marketing involved.

VW (Audi, VW, Škoda, SEAT) is what it is, but still more reliable than many other car brands like Land Rover, Jaguar, FIAT, Ford, Alfa Romeo, Pegeot, Citroen and now even MB!

Must be all that monkey testing they do....

Are we sure the 1.5 TSI is actually a 1.5, or is it a rebranded 1.4?

Seems suspicious to me that the headline performance numbers are exactly the same between the two engines (148bhp and 250Nm @ 1,500 to 3,500rpm).

I wasn't sure if calling it a 1.5 was a marketing exercise to offer some differentiation / distance from the outgoing 1.4?

• Like 1

Not calling them PPF are they (Petroleum Particulate Filters)  going with GPF are they not Gasoline Particulate Filters. 

& the 1.5TSI EVO as they have with more tweaking until they can not get away with that for the Hybrids.

Only Skoda need to announce, then there will be no doubt.

PS

VW / AUDI, JLR, BMW / MINI right down at the bottom or reliability out of warranty, and has been for years.

Mercedes / Renault / Nissan engines another story,   Ford with Volvo was a joke.  Suzuki / Fiat peed of VW who bought into Suzuki.

They are all dodgy at some point in history.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Elsewhere its been reported that 1.4tsi engine production will cease wk 26.

Replaced by 1.5tsi probably fitted with a GPF (gasoline particulate filter) - required by the introduction of Euro 6d emission regulation which comes into effect in June. Note no GPFs are currently fitted so it's effectively a new engine variant and will probably drive differently to the current version as it requires remapping and regen management.

All petrol engines will be undergoing changes due to Euro 6d.

Euro 6d reduces the max particulate emission for petrol engines to be the same as for Euro 6 diesels.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Euro 6d in June also sees the phasing in of the new WLTP/RDE (World Harmonised Light Vehicle Testing Procedure/Real Driving Emissions) tests for car fuel economy and emissions. So all cars will have to be retested/recertified.

Edited by xman

From September 2018 is that not.

The phasing in was from last September was it not?

In depth_ how carmakers performed in the first wave of real world tests - Unearthed.mhtml

New UK real-world emissions tests start today _ Autocar.mhtml

Important stuff here. 

VW, FCA, others could face big fines for missing EU emissions targets.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a reply today from SUK reference the 1.5;

"I have discussed your query with our Product Marketing Team, and they have advised currently there is no release date for the 1.5 TSI engine to be introduced to the ŠKODA KODIAQ range in the immediate future. Unfortunately, I am unable to advise if the emissions will be the same as the ŠKODA KAROQ. I am sincerely sorry for any disappointment that this may cause."

• Like 1

It would take implausible / irregular VW testing results to have bigger / heavier vehicles with the same engine / drivetrain emitting the same emissions.

But then they have done it plenty in the past,  but then they got found out as cheaters.

1 hour ago, Falkster said:

Here is a reply today from SUK reference the 1.5;

"I have discussed your query with our Product Marketing Team, and they have advised currently there is no release date for the 1.5 TSI engine to be introduced to the ŠKODA KODIAQ range in the immediate future. Unfortunately, I am unable to advise if the emissions will be the same as the ŠKODA KAROQ. I am sincerely sorry for any disappointment that this may cause."

I'd have had to don my 'awkward' hat at that point and reply by saying something along the lines of...

"well in that case you'll be continuing to accept new orders for the 1.4 TSI then?"

Stopping orders for the 1.4 TSI is fine, I understand the need to clear the floor ready for the 1.5 TSI, but to not share the date for the release of the 1.5 TSI at the same time is poor. They know it, they simply aren't willing to communicate it yet.

Just now, silver1011 said:

I'd have had to don my 'awkward' hat at that point and reply by saying something along the lines of...

"well in that case you'll be continuing to accept new orders for the 1.4 TSI then?"

Stopping orders for the 1.4 TSI is fine, I understand the need to clear the floor ready for the 1.5 TSI, but to not share the date for the release of the 1.5 TSI at the same time is poor. They know it, they simply aren't willing to communicate it yet.

I did copy and paste Skoda's own press release (the L&K announcement including the new 1.5) but judging by the way its worded I get the feeling that the office junior has the job of replying to emails at SUK:D

• Like 1

Yep, I've had the same via email. That's why I love their Live Chat function, it's makes drilling them for more information easier :D

Edited by silver1011

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

Yep, I've had the same via email. That's why I love their Live Chat function, it's makes drilling them for more information easier :D

I might just put the kettle on tomorrow, get the Jammie Dodgers ready and do that.....it is garbage though.....

• Like 1

On 29. 3. 2018 at 20:52, Offski said:

PS

VW / AUDI, JLR, BMW / MINI right down at the bottom or reliability out of warranty, and has been for years.

Mercedes / Renault / Nissan engines another story,   Ford with Volvo was a joke.  Suzuki / Fiat peed of VW who bought into Suzuki.

They are all dodgy at some point in history.

Not accoarding to surveys. Lexus, Toyota, KIA, Hyundai and Škoda top them. MB is near the middle under BMW  for the past few years

My personal experience with cars:

- old VW were very reliable, reliability droped in the past 10 years

- used to own few used MB's (E-class, SLK, S-class) and BMW (3,5 and X5), their reliability dropped since 2006

- pre-2004 Jeeps with Crysler petrol engines (6 and 8 cyl) are indestructible, now they are ****

- old pre-2000 Renault and FIAT were very reliable, FIAT dropped to the bottom after grandpappy retired, Renault is still good but too pricey for what you get (same as VW)

- Peugeot was and still is unreliable (always had problems with them, even from new), heard same about Citroen

- old Audis weren't as classy as MB and BMW but were and still are very reliable (more than MB and BMW)

Problem with car manufacturers:

- to stay ahead they need to develope new tech and don't bother testing it properly (that's why Škoda is the most reliable brand from VAG, because it uses older VW/Audi technology - check the surveys)

- Japs and Koreans are ahead at reliability because if you look at their cars they are all outdated (except for Lexus), because they take their time with testing them

- FIAT is **** because the CEO is the old owners grandson and he's a bussines-man, that's why he bought all the US companies in 2008 crash and now has trouble allocating funds for engineering new tech

- Audi is on a downhill slope (closely following MB) because their mentality is now: "We don't need engineers, we need more economists" which they've said many times out loud by their R&D heads, this is why they are using Renault/Nissan engines and why new MB cars are a flop (GLC in particular)

- fool-minded diversification -> luxury brands competing against economy brands (1,2, and 4 series BMW; A and B class MB; A2 and A3 Audi and ALL THE COUPE'S) This is one of the reasons MB ran out of money for car development and just rebadged Clio->A series and Nissan -> X-class and used their long-wheelbase 4-Matic system (GLE and GLS) on their middle-wheelbase cars (GLC) withouth proper modifications. Not to mention that Audi Q7, VW Tuareg and Porsche Cayene are the same cars just sold at different prices and badges, same as Macan being an even more expensive Q5.

You have to pick a survey, any survey.

USA / North America & Canada, South America, Continental Europe, UK / Europe, or Global / Rest of the world/ Third world countries.

Pick one where Skoda comes high and ask on a Forum like Briskoda how many responded to the Survey.

(there are several threads on that if you search, asking members if they do surveys, maybe they are shy and just do not want to admit to doing them when asked....)

Look at the numbers from a Warranty Company on the out of manufacturers warranty claims. That is a regular Motoring Magazine article to run and the media republish.)

Look at a survey where the MG owners (or maybe others,  sales staff) of cars sold in few numbers rate them very highly.

Maybe look where a German Automobile club were caught cheating the survey on VW's.

http://carsalesbase.com/adac-admits-fraud-car-awards 

http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542797/Germanys.html 

Look at what IS or the Taliban drive or the UN, NGO's,  people that run cars in countries with poor roads and fuel and part availability.

There are either highly disposable vehicles, easy come easy go paid for by Governments, or ones that last 'Long time Mr', all night...

The Peugeot 504.

now there is a French car that was made to stand up to War and civil unrest.

Edited by Offski