Octavia 3 vrs clutch sticking

Just been out in the vrs and I noticed the clutch has started to stick about half way out intermittently. Iam guessing  i have a slave cylinder problem bit was wondering has anyone else on here had or know of any issues. Car is 2.0l diesel and has just turned 40k miles. 

Edited by donny1972

Start saving up!

Could be very likely you will end up needing to remove the gearbox. You could try bleeding the slave cylinder see if that makes any difference

Edited by SuperbTWM

9 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Start saving up!

Could be very likely you will end up needing to remove the gearbox. You could try bleeding the slave cylinder see if that makes any difference

Might be time to change this cars address lol.

• 2 months later...

Well after 3 months this ugly problem has raised it's head again. Pulling out at a junction today and the clutch was right at the floor. Had to put in neutral and put my foot behind the clutch to pull it back up. Anyone know the cost of replacing both slave cylinders?

Does Octy have some spring which pulls the pedal to the top? Usually it should?

Just wondering if your issue might be actually trivial. Does it work normally if you pull the pedal out with your foot?

My 2010 VRS CR did this last year, clutch dropped but could be pulled back up. First time the RAC pumped some brake fluid into the reservoir which was enough to get it working and drivable to the garage. They diagnosed and replaced the master cylinder. It was fine for a week then dropped again, this time the RAC couldn’t get it working so towed the car back to the garage. This time they replaced the slave cylinder (got a full refund for the master) and said that “the bearing has gone”. No problems since then.

Main cost was the 5 hours labour to remove and replace the gearbox in order to access the slave cylinder.

I have the same issue on my 2013 2.0 TDi. Just reached 40k miles and the pedal is OK about 90% of the time. Then randomly (possibly when the engine is hot) the pedal will not return normally after pressing it to change gear. Sometimes it just sticks momentarily and then returns but occasionally you need to put your toe under the pedal to lift it back up. It always disengages the gears, it just doesn't return properly.

In an attempt to remedy the problem I bled the hydraulics and that seemed to resolve the issue, however a couple of months later it is back to the same problem. I will be very unhappy if it is a problem with the slave cylinder, that is not going to be cheap!

Mine had another symptom that something wasn’t right. Pulling away in 1st with a cold engine, I’d barely released the clutch, the pedal was an inch or two up off the floor and it’d engage 1st gear fully, much earlier than usual, and the car would surge forwards. It was only a couple of times a week so I just thought I’d forgotten how to drive. Thinking back that was probably happening for about 4 months before the pedal dropped.

At the moment I don't have any other symptoms. I have just bled it again using the exact method described in the workshop manual using compressed air as opposed the pumping the pedal. I'll see what it is like over the next few weeks. So far the car has been less reliable than my Octavia II. I've already had a shock absorber fail and now this :-(

Excact same symptoms on my 2014 with 60000km. The dealer bleeded the system, no change. A few days ago i almost jumped on top of the car in front of me as the clutch gripped 100% immediately. Seriously creepy. Called the dealer and they mentioned slave cylinder. We’ll see next week. Thank heaven for 5yr warranty.

Mine has been behaving itself the last few days. Spoke to a local independent and he said he would start with the master cylinder at the clutch pedal and if that didn't cure it then it will be a gearbox out job as the slave is internal.  Maybe buy a dsg next time 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...