Abs failure loads of warning lights on at 4500 miles

Anyone had problems with warning lights coming on.

my 1.4 tsi suddenly shows 4 or 5 different warnings with beeps. Turns abs, Hill hold, front asist, parking pilot, engine stop off.   Resets itself after 2-3 minutes. Dealer has now but can’t find problem as yet - replaces abs sensor and now trying new abs module? Has beem escalated to Skoda engineers.  Any ideas anyone else had this issue?

As you can probably tell all those faults / warnings rely on various braking system sensors.

The dealer isn't likely far wrong by going down the ABS sensor / module route, although the faults logged on their diagnostic scan should get them pretty close.

If they're liaising with Skoda UK technical support then it's likely they're stumped. If it then gets progressed to support from the factory in the Czech Republic then you know the fault is pretty serious or difficult to correctly diagnose.

I guess as cars get more and more complicated, and increasingly reliant on electrical systems these types of faults are going to become more frequent.

Give me a suspension knock or rattly exhaust / heat shield any day of the week :D

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Thanks for you post Silver 1011. 

Hope it gets sorted quickly as missing the Bear already - they have supplied a Passat as a loan car - so i’m Mobile. 

Just want them to keep in touch. 

• Like 1

Might be a shot in the dark but on my last skoda I had an issue where when I hit a bump it set off most of these warning lights. It turned out to be an intermittent brake pedal switch. That switch appeared to be key to all these systems and when the fault occurred when bumping the car it triggered a number of brake related systems warning lights. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree essentially. Just a thought from my previous experience .. 

Latest news. 

My dealer has had to order special “adapters” in order to test the wiring of the car before VAG will authorise replacement of the ABS control Module “ is this the Teves problem I have heard about?

wont get them until Tuesday 

The Teves MK60 problem is ancient, it dates back to 2007, I suffered it on our 2008 Octavia, 3 days before the warranty expired...

I'd hope Skoda / Continental-Teves have learnt their lesson!

Dealer had to order special cables to interface car with test equipment in order to test wiring.  Unfortunately 3/4 of the through the tests aborted. Dealer has now connected car directly to Czech factory so they can analyse. They think it may need new abs control unit but reluctant as over 1800 pounds.   

Getting more than a little peed off now..

pete

• Like 1

I hope they gave you a Kodiaq as your courtesy car.

One of the perks they have sitting around or Skoda UK have to be sold after 3 months / 3,000 miles.

They can be as reluctant as they want,  but they need to get in a Technician that can fault find and then fix the fault,

or there is nothing to stop them replacing your car with one that is fit for purpose.

Going to cost them more than £1,800 to do that and they would still need to fix your car, then resell it.

The part is not £1,800 cost price top Skoda CZ.    Milking warranty costs with Skoda UK might be the £1,800.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, Grimbleweed said:

They think it may need new abs control unit but reluctant as over 1800 pounds.   

Tell the dealer to think themselves lucky.

The car they're preventing you from driving cost you close to £30,000, £1,800 is a drop in the ocean. 

6 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

£1,800 is a drop in the ocean.

It's over 15% of the cost of the car, so it's not exactly a drop in the ocean. Plus all the labour costs to diagnose and then fit the part(s) - you could easily be looking at 20-25% of the cost being spent* here to fix it.

But yes, it should be sorted out no matter what the cost - even if the cost is a replacement car.

EDIT: 5%... and 10-15% inc. labour. Sorry, half asleep trying to do maths!

Edited by WiggosSideburns
Dodgy Maths :-)

£1,800 is an inflated figure, the price for someone walking in off the street, not the true warranty cost. An annoying tactic a lot of dealers adopt to make it look like they're doing you a favour.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Cost of the car is the Manufacturing cost.  Then they make a profit, Skoda UK import and make a profit, the dealership make a profit and supposedly taxes are paid on profits, and whoever buys the car, Lease Company or Private buyers pays taxes.

The diagnosing of the fault is a lesson for the Dealership & Skoda / VW, it will not be the first or the last having the the same fault.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  

Fix snagging faults quickly, and learn from them and do not inconvenience the Owners / Drivers / Customers. 

Interestingly -the car this is replacing a 2003 seat Alhambra is still going strong after 177k - no major faults only usual service items.

they arranged a car via Enterprise rental I have a very Passat auto - not bad but I miss the bear..

hopefully some news tomorrow or I’ll start to push for kodi loan car. I need the extra seats.

the dealer seems totally dependent on Czech factory with no way of huuying them along.

thanks for all your comments 

pete

• Like 2

Escalated to Skoda Uk this morning as no news from dealer. 

They are frustrated too as they want to move on. 

Hopefully Skoda will come back to me this afternoon with some answers. 

Skoda customer services have escalated to a ‘manager’

told this will take 24/48 hrs - so now expecting a call on Monday - that will be three weeks. 

Got phone call from VAG customer something - they are upgrading the hire car to something the same as Bear - but they promised to ring back but haven’t. 

Great service Skoda. 

Monday's Update.

Eventually the dealer has heard from Factory - they wanted them to check the wiring to the abs sensors - all came back ok.  Unfortunately the dealer only had the wiring diagram for a LHD vehicle. The factory sent through the RHD version after a couple of hours.

No fault found with the wiring- however factory now need the have the wiring swapped from one abs sensor to another to make sure the fault still remains. Once this is done they hopefully will give the go ahead for the ordering of the ABS control unit. 

Unlike the old days apparently these need to be coded to the car and so it may be a few days yet before it it resolved ..... or maybe not.

Following Offski's suggestion I pushed for a more appropriate vehicle and now have an Audi Q5 - much better for me as I have arthritus and it is easier to get in to and mostly out of.

Skoda UK are trying to push as well.

p

• Like 1

Just ask them for a Q7 if you have not the Kodiaq back by Friday and then keep it.

Needing coded to the car will just be like the ABS Recall,  Emissions Scandal Recall etc, 

Trained people with the gear and more than just an idea.

Wonderful how VW Motorsport & Skoda Motorsport teams can have vehicles up and running in a few minutes at service as there really are Fully Trained Technicians.

Why do Skoda UK or Main Dealers turn a drama into a crisis.    They just need to be honest and say, stumped, best ask a 10 year old about Coding, ECU's ABS units, 

needle sweep, anti hijack locking etc.

58 minutes ago, Offski said:

Just ask them for a Q7

...and cash to cover having to buy 2 parking tickets everywhere because it won't fit in one space? :D

I like your thinking, but apart from the lack of 7 seats, I think the Q5 is a more comparable size to the Kodiaq than a Q7.

Ha ha .. and I teach coding to 8 year olds!!

i agree - actually my wife was trying to get used the the size of the Kodi now is buzzing around in the Q5 so Kodi will be no problem. 

Not a good day today - wiring checks have discounted abs control unit at present - may be a wiring fault after all - factory told them to swap some cables but this didn’t work either. Factory have now said to dealer they can’t help any more ????

They are running an auxiliary loom tomorrow to see if they can identify where a problem might be.

dont know what to do now?

no 1.4 auto sel on the market at present so don’t really want to back this motor yet.

• Like 1

They will do what Skoda / VW always does, the Robert the Bruce Spider technique.   try try and try again.  part, part and try another.

2nd biggest car manufacturers in the world and every fault or failure is a new one on them, and when another has the same issue again never heard of that before.

No wonder VW are not in F1. 

How they will get on once they really get into EV's is anyones guess,  electric, controllers, batteries, wiring and H2o, and UK Main Dealerships.

Fingers crossed, but there are reports (in the Superb section) that rodent (mice, rats etc) damage to wiring looms give rise to the Christmas tree warning syndrome. Damage can be in very remote places in the car and modern eco wiring is apparently tasty for critters.

Hope it's not that as warranty will not cover it though your insurance might.

• Like 2