Rear indicator LED replacements mk3 FL

After reading all of the older threads, some of the links are no longer valid. Can someone please point me towards the current recommendation for a plug and play LED rear indicator replacement for a Mk3 FL? 

Edited by Lordch

20 minutes ago, mumphie said:

Dunno. But AliExpress was ok - delivered in about 2 weeks, with no fuss

I’ve ordered this today following your reply, I just went for the free shipping-was that what you did? 2 weeks is pretty good. 

50 minutes ago, mumphie said:

Yeah - I wasn't in a big hurry!

Nor me - but also I hate it when the shipping fee is more than the item!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lordch said:

Nor me - but also I hate it when the shipping fee is more than the item!

That too!

Incidentally, you'll have some fun taking the light clusters out. Not too bad, but not too easy either...

8 hours ago, mumphie said:

That too!

Incidentally, you'll have some fun taking the light clusters out. Not too bad, but not too easy either...

Ok so I took off the black plastic strips in the hatchback gulley to reveal the 3 screws holding the cluster. That’s as far as I went (not having the bulbs yet) so that looked ok. Sounds like there’s a bit of wrestling during the next stage :^]

1 minute ago, Lordch said:

Ok so I took off the black plastic strips in the hatchback gulley to reveal the 3 screws holding the cluster. That’s as far as I went (not having the bulbs yet) so that looked ok. Sounds like there’s a bit of wrestling during the next stage :^]

That's the easy part! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mumphie said:

That's the easy part! 

Ok great thanks - def have those notes to hand when underway!

I did this to Skippy last November.

Changing rear indicators on Skippy.

The replacement units I ordered were described as CANBUS compatible so I didn't need to do any recoding.

Funnily enough I spent an hour today changing the front fog lights from filament to LED units and had to recode.

10 hours ago, edition82 said:

It's interesting that you've shown this link.  It shows the led bulbs to have offset pins.  On my 66 plate Octavia SE L it uses a standard orange coated bulb with straight pins.  Might be differences between models and years.

I’m sure it’s been posted on here in the past, but using error free bulbs is seen to be a bad idea. Something about it not being good to fool the BCM...maybe. Can’t remember exactly. 

I guess one problem is that if the bulb dies, you won't be warned. Apparently, the resistors can get hot, too, but that should only be a problem if you use them for permanently lit lights, ie. Headlights, taillights, fogs. Indicators aren't lit for very long so shouldn't develop the heat.

42 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

I’m sure it’s been posted on here in the past, but using error free bulbs is seen to be a bad idea. Something about it not being good to fool the BCM...maybe. Can’t remember exactly. 

OK well I was under the impression that as long as the bulb was drawing say 5W then this was enough for the system to spot the bulb, hence no error, and also you would get the bulb out warning as a result.

Am I misunderstanding?

24 minutes ago, Lordch said:

OK well I was under the impression that as long as the bulb was drawing say 5W then this was enough for the system to spot the bulb, hence no error, and also you would get the bulb out warning as a result.

Am I misunderstanding?

Yes, even if the LED fails the resistor will still be in circuit and drawing current so the BCM cannot tell that the LED has failed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1