Autoglym Lifeshine

anna_banana

9 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Nit quite sure I fully understand that but it maybe suggests that they are going to use remaining product rather than a full kit?  Others migh5 well want to comment on that.  If it’s done right then it should be OK and even if it’s quoted as “free” it’s part of your deal so you would be in your rights to look the car over and challenge the finish before you accept the car.  Maybe, if possible, look at the car before and after.

if your not going to get it done elsewhere I guess any body protection would be worth having.  Whatever you decide I hope it works out well for you, whatever, don’t let it rob you of the joy of the new car.

Sounds like they are using the remnants from another paying customers kit and not the full kit, its one of the high profit bolt on items.

They often do 5-6 a day depending on how busy they are.  The detailer whom i got a quote for, takes 2 days, 1 days prep and 1 day for the ceramic protection to apply and cure inside a temp controlled room.  I can see why it costs £500 for that level of service.

3 minutes ago, thompma30 said:

Sounds like they are using the remnants from another paying customers kit and not the full kit, its one of the high profit bolt on items.

They often do 5-6 a day depending on how busy they are.  The detailer whom i got a quote for, takes 2 days, 1 days prep and 1 day for the ceramic protection to apply and cure inside a temp controlled room.  I can see why it costs £500 for that level of service.

I bought my kit of bits from a couple of really helpful guys in Derby, ShopnShine, who took time to understand what I wanted to do and advised against buying product that I’d not need.  They have a deatailing studio next door and whilst I’d never want to expend that kind of effort it does show what can be achieved.  Sounds like your going to get a great job that will set the car up for the rest of its life if you take time to maintain it.

16 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

How do you know its been done 

The only way you'd know any kind of wax/sealant has been applied is that there would be lots of beading when it's rained.  The car should continue to bead for months/years if the product lives up to the hype

Indeed. No coating will ever protect against bird stuff etching. Besides, what do you do when your paint needs a decontamination after a year ? Both Tardis and Iron X will remove that expensive coating immediately, not to mention polishing. They make no sense whatsoever. Money for old ropes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If I was going to spend in the region of £200 on getting my car done, it wouldnt be going on Lifeshine (or any of the other dealer sold products). 

The products used are not bad. But they’re not worth £200, even when you take into account labour cost of applying, which likely won’t be great. 

I had the outside of my car done with a ceramic treatment. chap normally does Ferrari so I know its been done right. he told me that as long as I wash it as he instructed it will last going towards 10 years. I have to say when he'd done It, it was loads better looking than the day I picked it up. 

More discussion on this subject over in the Styling and Car Care forum. Consensus of opinion is buy the gear and do it yourself. I am not alone in finding car cleaning therapeutic and allows me time to be alone in my head. 

• Like 1

I've had Supaguard etc. in the past (usually discounted) but having gained more knowledge in recent years of washing the car (moved on from just one bucket and sponge when I bought the A6 - though the Yeti just gets that sometimes!) I wouldn't have it done again.

Gave the TT an application of Autoglym HD wax yesterday (long overdue as no beading when washing) and it looks a treat, though to be honest metallics usually do anyway if just washed. If you run a finger over it you can feel the odd imperfection but I've never gone as far as clay barring etc. Maybe one day when I've fully retired.