Why different tyres on the Scout?

Hi everyone,

I'm about to view and hopefully purchase my first Skoda tomorrow which will be a Roomster Scout 1.6 TDI. Why are the tyres on this model lower profile than the other Roomsters? 

I've never driven with tyres this size and am slightly worried about pot holes. Should I be concerned? 

Thank you

Hi Ashley and welcome to Briskoda.

I've owned both Roomster Scout (16" Bridgestones) and Roomster SE (15" Dunlops).

The difference between the two in terms of ride quality and road noise had to be experienced to be believed!

And yes - I potholed a Scout tyre within two weeks of ownership.  Something I never did with my SE.

Why are Scout tyres lower profile?  Because Skoda UK say so.

For reasons best known to Skoda UK, 16" wheels were standard issue on Scout with no option to specify the 15" wheels fitted to every other model.

I had the same issue with my Yeti.  SE models are fitted with 17" wheels, with no option to specify the 16" wheels of the S model.

Utter madness!

However, if I were to buy another Roomster I would choose Scout over SE any day.  I thought it a much nicer car.

Scout seats were slightly firmer, which for me were considerably more comfortable.

And I preferred the look of the Scout, with its black panels and foglamps.

Much as I love my Yeti, I would swap it in a heartbeat for a brand new Roomster Scout.

I consider my Roomster Scout the best car I have ever owned.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input! I much prefer the look of the Scout too but only just realised the wheel size differences. I still think I’ll go for it. Guess I’ll have to miss the potholes. 

As you say it would be nice to have a choice! 

Thanks a lot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, dibujo said:

I bought a new Roomster Sept. 2008 1.9 tdi level 3 trim that came with 205/45 R16 as standard so not just fitted to the Scout.

Correct! 

When I bought mine in 2009, 195/55 R15 was standard fit on all models except Scout.

205/45 R16 was standard fit on Scout and optional on all other models.

Edited by Robjon