Healthy Competition for Fabia mk3 variants coming

Loads of cars available from the manufacturers in many prices, many sizes with choices of engines, petrol or hybrid or EV Hatch or Estates, 2 or 3 pedals.

Currently to buy / lease Skoda are very limited in the choices of Small cars with Manual or Auto. 

1.0 litre petrol Manual or DSG and a Citigo with a manual or a pretty poor Automated Manual.

Things can only get better. 

10 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Had a virtually new hire manual Kia Ceed 1.6d in the UK last year in hatchback styling for a couple of thousand miles. I think the basic design was a few years old and in need of replacement and not just a refresh.

Quite comfortable seating, very economical when I got the hang of  compensating for the long gearing and sudden torque drop-off below 1600rpm, the halogen headlights with side-turn illumination were pretty good.

Reversing was a right royal pain, the view out the small high rear window was useless as was the vision to the rear three quarters (thick C pillar and 'stylish' rising side window line). The side reversing mirrors were of the very wide angle distorting perspective and distance, the low resolution reversing camera was useless at night and only useful for straight back vision for less than 5 metres. Reverse parking was a complete gamble and the occasion when I met a tractor with huge hay trailer on a very narrow Dartmoor lane and I had to reverse 200 metres to a field opening to let him pass was the most needlessly difficult reversing manoeuvre I have ever experienced due to the absolutely useless design aspects I've mentioned.

Ride was ok and handling was ok but uninspiring. Decent Michelin tyres fitted but interior road noise seemed actually louder than my own basic Octavia on similar rough surfaces.

Really appreciated getting back in the Octavia 1.4tsi  which for me is just much more enjoyable to drive and windows on the estate you can see out of in all directions.....and so easy to reverse!

The Ceed you had on hire was the 2012 onwards version and it does appear to have reduced rear vision compared to the earlier version especially the estate we had.

We tried 3 more Octavias in late 2016 before ordering the Superb. The 1.4 TSi estate was noisy, the 2.0 estate was noisy, so no improvement from 2010. But the 1.4 TSi hatch we tried was actually OK for road noise and we considered ordering one. But when we asked they had stopped taking orders until the upgrade arrived in March 2017 and there were no cars to u=our spec in stock. Happy we got the Suberb having had it 15 months now.

Not sure if I just have low standards or just lucky with the car we got. 

I would expect the Superb to be a better car but too big for us.

Edited by Gerrycan

Gerry, we get the new Ceed in a month or two over here and from what I've read it's not only a looker, but is much more refined and better designed than the one you had last year. One thing you can say about Kia, and Hyundai is that they learn very quickly what the customer wants. 

Well after a lot of looking and driving I think I've finally decided on, and found, a Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet SZ5 SHVS to put a deposit down on...   ;-)

14 hours ago, skomaz said:

Well after a lot of looking and driving I think I've finally decided on, and found, a Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet SZ5 SHVS to put a deposit down on...   ;-)

Suzuki have a good reputation for reliability here in Aus and I admire the current range for Suzuki's ability to substantially reduce vehicle weight over their competitors.

Good for performance and economy. 

Even Aus testers with their Frankenstein like lead footwear still get good economy out of every review I have read, although there are usually some quibbles over the quality of interior materials/plastics to achieve those savings.

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Suzuki have a good reputation for reliability here in Aus and I admire the current range for Suzuki's ability to substantially reduce vehicle weight over their competitors.

Good for performance and economy. 

Even Aus testers with their Frankenstein like lead footwear still get good economy out of every review I have read, although there are usually some quibbles over the quality of interior materials/plastics to achieve those savings.

Enjoy!

Agreed some of the interior plastics could be better but as an overall package it seems to have it nailed compared to the competitors.

Hopefully enjoyment is on the cards!!

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:16, skomaz said:

Agreed some of the interior plastics could be better but as an overall package it seems to have it nailed compared to the competitors.

Hopefully enjoyment is on the cards!!

Well I'm committed now - all paid for so I'm just awaiting delivery...

Skomaz, well done. I'm sure you'll be very happy when it arrives. Be sure to not forget us and DO list your initial impressions of the car so we can all drool! After all, the Suzuki brand is almost fully at the top of the JD Power reliability survey. Must mean something!

No problems with reliability, well built cars. Some adverse comments on ride quality and road noise. As Estate man says, it will be interesting to see your impressions once you've had a chance to get used to it.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2018 at 13:46, skomaz said:

Well I'm committed now - all paid for so I'm just awaiting delivery...

Just heard it should be with me on Monday...   :-) 

13 hours ago, Leprejohn said:

Really debating a new face lift fabia, or suzuki swift sport

Just had a look at the Swift Sport - is it just me or are there echoes of the Fabia Mk II with the sloping roof line?

Bill :)

6 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

Just had a look at the Swift Sport - is it just me or are there echoes of the Fabia Mk II with the sloping roof line?

Bill :)

I think it sort of does but at first I thought the swift was ugly but it seems to be growing on me