Switching off Parking light

Hi all,

This morning I ended up with an empty car battery, because I apparently left on the parking lights of my Skoda Fabia 3.

As it turns out, when I use the left or right indicator lights before parking, and turn off the car without switching back the indicator handle first, it leaves on the parking lights...

Too be honest, this is quite a stupid function as turning back the indicator after parking the car is something you easily forget (as the indicator lights switch off automatically). 

Is there is a way to disable the parking light function? Please note: I do not want to disable the indicators, just that it turns on the parking light when switching off the engine. :) 

Many thanks!

54 minutes ago, Offski said:

Just incase you ever need the parking lights because you have to park where legally they are required why not just put a post it on the dash or a little scrap of paper in the ticket holder. 

I see your point, nevertheless, I rather assign it to another button which makes more sense (e.g. like the turning wheel on the left side of the steering wheel which is used to set the lights) or enable it when I need it (which, in Southern Spain, is almost never) :)

Edited by RJ88

Location location location thing then,  i use the indicator down lots when parked in lay-bys or at roadsides where i want a single front and rear sidelight and a number plate light as parking lights but where i would not use side / position lights.

Someone will hopefully be able to code out the Parking Lights for you.

Might not apply to Fabia, but my Yeti has some sort of simply clever setting.  If you leave headlights switched on, they go off when you turn off, but leave them off and put indicator on, you get Park lights.

cant remember what happens if you turn off with sidelights, as I never use that setting 

It only bleeps if you get out of the drivers door.

It will not bleep if you exit via the passenger door. :o

I haven't tried the rear doors yet. :)

Thanks AG Falco

This is a common function of many vehicles. My brother fell foul if it a few times in his age-old Vauxhall Calibre. He had a fairly old battery which the sidelights would drain quite effectively, rendering his battery useless. A well charged battery and LED sidelights, front and rear, will help enornousely! As for disabling, i think you just need to get used to it!

I had it happen a few times to me on the Mk 11. When I turn left off the road and immediately left again into my parking spot, it doesn't always activate the pawl to cancel the indicator,. I had no beeps or warnings as you would if you left the lights on.

Fortunately I have some good neighbours who came to my door to tell me.

Haven't had it happen on my current Mk111 yet.:blush

One point is, when you use the indicator to light the parking lights, only one side lights up (indicator right=right side parking lights on), so this is an extra feature, and not the same as turning the parking lights on from the lights switch.

Why would you exit from the passenger door if you were driving the car? (do I really even want to know that :) )

5 hours ago, the_raz said:

Why would you exit from the passenger door if you were driving the car?

The parking at work is so tight we park 6 cars in a space made for 4 cars.

Every car that arrives backs in and parks up tight to the car on the drivers side.

We have to park up so tight you can only get out to the passenger side door.

Thanks AG Falco

2 hours ago, Offski said:

the_raz,   the lights turned on with the light switch are called 'sidelights' in the UK or position lights and not 'parking lights', 

According to the manual for my Fabia Mk III MY17 there are two options for parking lights when leaving the vehicle, one sided using the indicator lever (switch off the ignition, use the indicator lever to choose the side) or both sides using the normal light switch (turn on the ignition, turn the selector to the sidelight position, turn off the ignition). Both are described as parking lights though the manual does not make mention of sidelights and I doubt there is any functional difference in the bulbs actually used depending on whether the ignition is on (when I would call them sidelights) and when the ignition is off at which point they are referred to within the manual as parking lights.

A

Read your Highway code about being stopped and parked and using Sidelights or Parking Lights.

Yes the same bulbs / light units are used and putting out the same amount of light.

Parking lights being just the light at the roadside, front and rear and sometimes one number plate bulb.

*As it is the crap Batteries from the VW Group will have you with a flat battery even using Parking Lights where required over a few hours, 

leaving 'Side Lights' on for several hours guarantee you a non starter'.*

(Some other cars switch off the sidelights when you switch off the ignition or remove the key, some allow the 'sidelights', 

as in 2 to the front and 2 to the rear and the registration plate lights to stay on.)

They will allow the 'Sidelights' to be on as Parking lights, as in lights used when Parked,  Not Sifdelights left on.

one sidelight / position light to the front and one to the rear and the registration plate light'.

So German Owners Manuals translated, to Czech, Spanish, American English, English and any other language.  So much gets 'lost in translation'.

UK Higjway code knows what Parking Lights are and when you can or should use Parking Lights.

'Parking lights'  as some of us remember were a little light that you put out on the drivers side window, or the passenger side window depending which side of the road you were 'parked at', and it plugged into a cigarette / cigar lighter.   White to front, red to the rear.

Waiting and parking - Parking at night (248 to 252) - The Highway Code.mhtml

PS,

The UK Highway code still refers to 'Hand Brakes' when they mean 'Parking Brakes', now some have Electric Parking / Emergency brakes' requiring no use of the 'hand'.

Some day the Highway Code will get up to date with technology, and things like driving with Sidelights on in Street Lit areas with a Speed Limit will be changed to must put on Side Lights and Dipped Head Light. 

Lighting requirements (113 to 116) - The Highway Code.mhtml

Edited by Offski

17 hours ago, AGFalco said:

The parking at work is so tight we park 6 cars in a space made for 4 cars.

Every car that arrives backs in and parks up tight to the car on the drivers side.

We have to park up so tight you can only get out to the passenger side door.

Thanks AG Falco

Then that makes sense. I can fully understand that the warning sound does not go off if the driver's door is not opened.

17 hours ago, Offski said:

the_raz,   the lights turned on with the light switch are called 'sidelights' in the UK or position lights and not 'parking lights', 

Whatever -  they are not supposed to be used while driving, only when leaving the car in poorly lit conditions; :) at least not where I come from 

The UK Traffic Law and the Highway code covers poorly lit conditions.

Poor visibility, the hours between sunset and sunrise etc.

The outdated stuff is that 'Sidelights' are allowed to be used in Street Lit roads with restricted speeds, not NSL's.

That meant years back 30 mph, but that is not always the case and there are those that do use 'Sidelights' on roads with street lights.

even more muppets with DRL's on in the gloom,  (Daytime Running Lights or actually Day Time running lights)

Others with Sidelights on with Front Fog lights.  Or stopped / parked with them on.

In the UK and with EU Type approved cars they have to be on when Headlights are on. 

They are not supposed to be used in the UK when stopped at a roadside here with the engine off or on.  ie Parked.

Waiting and parking - Parking at night (248 to 252) - The Highway Code.mhtml

Lighting requirements (113 to 116) - The Highway Code.mhtml

Edited by Offski

I may be wrong but i thought when i was tinkering with my carista OBD toy there was a setting to switch off the parking light....cant be sure without going and plugging it in to check.

Not sure if this helps

You can turn the DLR lights off via the Bolero Infotainment system.

On 5/15/2018 at 13:08, the_raz said:

Then that makes sense. I can fully understand that the warning sound does not go off if the driver's door is not opened.

On my other two cars it works on any door that you open if it turns the interior light on.

Thanks AG Falco