Collecting new car. What should I look out for?

I'm picking up my new Kodiaq on Friday. Its been on display in the showroom for a few weeks ( I'm buying it "from stock")  so I guess its possible any of the "loose" bits have gone missing, what should be on my checklist (7 seat Edition 2.0 TSI 4x4 DSG, spare wheel )? 

Umbrellas x 2

MagneticTorch in boot

boot nets x 3?

covers for  3? 12v sockets

Spare wheel (i assume there's a jack with this?)

Locking wheel nut thingy

Anything else that could be missing? Any other advice/things to look out for?

Silver plastic caps over the wheel bolts are often left off.

Dust caps on the valves make for easy pickings.

In the spare wheel kit you should see a jack, wheel brace, pair of plastic tweezers (to remove above plastic caps) and metal tweezers to remove the front fog light access panel under the front wheelarches.

20 minutes ago, gojoholo said:

I'm picking up my new Kodiaq on Friday. Its been on display in the showroom for a few weeks ( I'm buying it "from stock")  so I guess its possible any of the "loose" bits have gone missing, what should be on my checklist (7 seat Edition 2.0 TSI 4x4 DSG, spare wheel )? 

Umbrellas x 2

MagneticTorch in boot

boot nets x 3?

covers for  3? 12v sockets

Spare wheel (i assume there's a jack with this?)

Locking wheel nut thingy

Anything else that could be missing? Any other advice/things to look out for?

Does it actually have a spare wheel spec'd? Not the Tyre Goo and an inflator?

34 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Does it actually have a spare wheel spec'd? Not the Tyre Goo and an inflator?

Yes, spare wheel specd

Edited by gojoholo

Enjoy the new car.

Take a good tyre pressure gauge with you. 

When checking your check list items, ask the hand over person what their workshop sets the tyre pressures at, then you check the 4 tyre pressures, then set the TPMS.

If they are not safely set, then ask the sales executive to go get the principal dealer and have them get the Master Tech to take the car back in the workshop to redo the PDI, 

check the transport blocks are removed etc.

Check the Oil level at handover and again when home and at operating temperature. and check where the coolant level is at handover.

• Like 1

Similar to above,

Tyre pressure- my VRS was way over inflated when I got it home. 

Umbrella & Sat nav SD card - When I got the company car, both umbrellas and SD card were missing.

Anything in the spec, I think its the above plus netting system for the boot

Guest FurryFriend

One thing we always make clear when buying a new car, is that it we will only accept it with transporter delivery mileage on it. That should never be much more than about 5 miles. 

We see far too many 'new' cars being mercilessly thrashed down motorways on trade plates these days. 

Not on. 

14 hours ago, LHVRS said:

Similar to above,

Tyre pressure- my VRS was way over inflated when I got it home. 

Umbrella & Sat nav SD card - When I got the company car, both umbrellas and SD card were missing.

Anything in the spec, I think its the above plus netting system for the boot

Does the Columbus unit use an SD card for Sat Nav data? Reading the manual (yes, thats how excited  I am) I got the impression that it didn't use an SD card (based on how its updated)

5afd3599a62f1_ScreenShot2018-05-17at08_55_07.png.535c7200b4657dab013e8006a20dc15b.png

Found this on page 179:

5afd3a21b9d78_ScreenShot2018-05-17at09_14_57.png.680da9dedf8d89f8c1c4f5fdfcc63be4.png

So it looks like I shouldn't be expecting a Sat Nav SD card for the Columbus unit.

Edit:

Thanks MrTrilby, just saw your reply.

Edited by gojoholo
update for other post

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

One thing we always make clear when buying a new car, is that it we will only accept it with transporter delivery mileage on it

The OP is/was picking up a 'stock car' - so it could have been used as a demo or simply just moved around a bit; also, random* cars are picked from the end of the production line for QA which involves driving them several miles around a track.

I totally agree with you that a new car should not have been driven under any other circumstance, but your dealer cannot guarantee that your car won't be one picked for QA purposes.

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

We see far too many 'new' cars being mercilessly thrashed down motorways on trade plates these days. 

All depends on how you buy your car. If you buy it through a broker or it's a lease car, then it may be delivered to you that way rather than you having to go to the dealer to pick it up. Yes, it would be nice if the drivers were as conscientious as you are about your new wheels, but welcome to the human race... you must be new here :tongueout:.

Guest FurryFriend
17 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

The OP is/was picking up a 'stock car' - so it could have been used as a demo or simply just moved around a bit; also, random* cars are picked from the end of the production line for QA which involves driving them several miles around a track.

I totally agree with you that a new car should not have been driven under any other circumstance, but your dealer cannot guarantee that your car won't be one picked for QA purposes.

All depends on how you buy your car. If you buy it through a broker or it's a lease car, then it may be delivered to you that way rather than you having to go to the dealer to pick it up. Yes, it would be nice if the drivers were as conscientious as you are about your new wheels, but welcome to the human race... you must be new here :tongueout:.

Far from it and at 71 years old, I have had a LOT of cars, motorcycles and lorries, probably more than you?? so don't be so cheeky :)

I was talking about NEW cars. Bought privately. Not trade or lease cars for business use. 

To me a NEW car is just that. Yes there will be a little mileage where it's been driven from the end of the production line to storage. From storage onto a transporter. From transporter to dockside for shipping, From ship to dockside again, and from dockside to transporter for delivery to the dealership. 

Add a couple of road test miles, and that should be it. 

I have in that time refused delivery of 2 cars for exactly the reason stated. 

Yes, I am conscientious about my new cars. When I'm spending my own hard earned money on a new vehicle, usually between 20 to 30K, and paying cash, I want it right. And I set the delivery mileage terms to the dealer, so he knows where I stand on it. 

We've all seen the 90mph trade plate drivers having a good old blast, usually at some future unsuspecting customers considerable expense unfortunately. 

Not for me. 

Re Delivery miles.

Do not be fooled by seeing 5 miles or 15 miles on the mileometer and thinking the car has done only 5 or 15 miles, since the factory or the PDI.

There is 'Transit setting', and cars can be set from Transit setting, and start at Zero miles. 

As to thrashed on Trade plates etc.

There is a very large Motor Group in Scotland, actually more than one that might have cars dropped off in Edinburgh but being handed over / sold in Glasgow or vice versa and they are driven to the Dealership, oddly the mileometer at delivery might not show tthe likes of 60 miles on it just 15 miles.

(You need to investigate the ECU to know the truth sometimes, 'ask no questions, tell no lies!'.)

Edited by Offski

Guest FurryFriend

Says it all. And so no surprise that there is still a lot of distrust in the Motor and other trades. 

It shouldn't be a case of customer beware, it should be fraud investigation. 

The car had 6 miles on the clock, and everything was in place, except for the 12v socket cover in the phone box, but the Skoda guy spotted that before I did. In case anyone else wants it, here is my final list of everything that is easily removeable (which includes a few things we didn't think of). This is for a UK spec 7 seat Edition with a Spare wheel:

Umbrellas x 2

Magnetic Torch in boot

3 boot nets (in  single sealed plastic bag) + 2 plastic dividers (the "net programme?") - see photo

cover for 12v socket (in phone box, the one in the boot is attached)

Spare wheel, brace, jack, plastic tweezers, small metal loop (fog light access?), large metal towing loop, Locking wheel nut - see photo

wheel nut caps

valve caps

Ice scraper in fuel filler cap

Tonneau cover 

The floor of the boot (its not connected to anything!) - should be a level boot floor with the sill

Spare wheel bits:

IMG_20180518_185807.thumb.jpg.946cb26f6b78a370a349876a01268ec4.jpg

Net Programme:

IMG_20180518_185658.thumb.jpg.528e5712a89ca4813b0f3660d2e8a88d.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Edited by gojoholo
  • Like 1

..... that the cruise control works (I once drove away in a car where it didn’t)

....... that the heating SYNC control works from the RHS and not the LHS

..... that the rear Tri-Zone heating control works 

all based on fact.

On 18. 5. 2018 at 22:00, gojoholo said:

2.5 bar

If you check the car specifications (driver side door frame/fuel flap), for 18" and 19" it's 2,8 - 3.0 bar. Was actualy surprised because i normaly pump my other cars till 2.5 bar. The 225/55/R18 pirelli tyres that came with the car were at 2,8 bar.

- check the seat fabric for tears where there are plastic inserts (ISOFIX, seatbelts, etc)

- check the piano black finish interior and exterior paint for scratches

- check the chrome arround the windows for corrosion

- check all 4 door handles for gaps between door trim and door side

- check the infotainment for any problems when you start the car (car->car status)

- check the windows for cracks (especialy the front windshield, should be cleat so easily spoted)

- check if they filled it up for you (they don't but you can say "whats 50 bucks for you, you getting 7000 for selling me this car anyway!", this works if you're old and grumpy and the salesperson is young)

MOST IMPORTANTLY, take your time no need to rush. If they rush you, than you know they are trying to hide something.

6 hours ago, McGyles said:

If you check the car specifications (driver side door frame/fuel flap), for 18" and 19" it's 2,8 - 3.0 bar. Was actualy surprised because i normaly pump my other cars till 2.5 bar. The 225/55/R18 pirelli tyres that came with the car were at 2,8 bar.

The inside of the fuel filler on our UK Kodiaq lists 2.4 bar as the correct pressure for normal use for all wheel sizes. It lists 2.7 bar as “eco” pressure. It’s only for driving fully laden with full luggage and 5 people on board that it suggests a range of pressures between 2.6 and 3.2 bar (depending on wheel size and front or rear axle).