DTUK Box insurance

Hi, I've just purchased a Tri channel DTUK box (not yet fitted) and I've been doing some insurance quotes/ research.

I'm currently with Admiral and when I phoned them they said NO, they could not cover at all.

I've done comparison websites and entered the modification as 'chipped/ engine management system' (that's the only option available to tick) and prices are coming out at around £700. LV and Admiral both quoted with this modification selected

I phoned LV (previously mentioned on here and recommended by DTUK) and they said they couldn't cover it. Even though they quoted via GOCompare.

I phoned Adrian Flux who quoted £1080.

I'm almost 35 with 10 years no claims so these quotes seem very high to me!

If it's going to cost £1000 to insure then I don't think I'll be fitting it afterall.......

Can I ask what other people have actually described it as? 

Thanks

I think from an insurers perspective they ask during the quote stage if a car has been modified. 

Once the policy is in place they’ve kind of got you by the spuds. 

Once that box is ticked it must flag up all sorts of warnings as they automatically assume anyone who wants to tweak their vehicle must automatically drive like a ****. 

Of course that’s not true but I guess they can afford to stereo type as it’s them that’s picking up the bill in the event of a claim. 

About 12 months ago I tried the 2 x channel box and my insurers wanted about 50 quid more if you set the power increase <20%.

I've got the hatch version of yours and didn't like the DTUK box with the DSG box though. But I bought the DTUK pedal box a couple of months ago and running that in standard sport setting with the DSG box in D rather than S - works great.

1 hour ago, Cymru Blackline said:

About 12 months ago I tried the 2 x channel box and my insurers wanted about 50 quid more if you set the power increase <20%.

I've got the hatch version of yours and didn't like the DTUK box with the DSG box though. But I bought the DTUK pedal box a couple of months ago and running that in standard sport setting with the DSG box in D rather than S - works great.

which insurer were you using? are you now using the pedal box and tuning box together? if so, whats that like?

Aviva or quote me happy (same group i think). Tuning box would be good on manual, but found whilst it did make my dsg 4x4 more aggressive, it shows up the Skoda 6speed dsg isn't that good a gearbox, so sent the tuning box back. 

For me, the pedal box on its own gives way better throttle response whilst working better with the dsg. I use D rather than S on the dsg.

• Sponsor
On 5/17/2018 at 20:32, thomas5265 said:

Hi, I've just purchased a Tri channel DTUK box (not yet fitted) and I've been doing some insurance quotes/ research.

I'm currently with Admiral and when I phoned them they said NO, they could not cover at all.

I've done comparison websites and entered the modification as 'chipped/ engine management system' (that's the only option available to tick) and prices are coming out at around £700. LV and Admiral both quoted with this modification selected

I phoned LV (previously mentioned on here and recommended by DTUK) and they said they couldn't cover it. Even though they quoted via GOCompare.

I phoned Adrian Flux who quoted £1080.

I'm almost 35 with 10 years no claims so these quotes seem very high to me!

If it's going to cost £1000 to insure then I don't think I'll be fitting it afterall.......

Can I ask what other people have actually described it as? 

Thanks

Hi,

If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take another look at the quotation to see if there is anything further we could do.

Regards,

Dan.