Canton Speaker

Hi All, 

Have just got into a new Kodiaq after a couple of years in a MK3 Superb. I am loving this car however I have a small issue. I'm fairly underwhelmed by the Canton system, it's much worse than the Canton system I had in my Superb and I think that is possibly due to the fact that the two speakers on the front doors labelled "Canton" next to door release aren't functioning at all. Can I please confirm with anybody else who has a Canton system whether or not sound is easy to hear out of these speakers? I can hear highs out of the speakers embedded into the window sills near the side mirrors but nothing out of the Cantons. I'm suspecting an amp issue given that they are both not working. I have emailed the dealer and will hopefully get it looked at next week. 

Cheers, Ben

I find this canton rather good compared to original or non canton soundsystem on kodiag...this was awful. Problably you played with settings already? 

10 hours ago, drex said:

the two speakers on the front doors labelled "Canton" next to door release aren't functioning at all

I couldn't hear anything. If they are doing anything its not much. 

1 hour ago, gojoholo said:

Hmmm. I had the Canton system on my Octavia, and it was pretty awesome - and the little speakers in the doors definitely had sound coming out of them. Together with the upgrade to the Columbus Nav, they were my 'added luxury'.

Didn't go for it in the Kodiaq though - my 'added luxury' this time around was Area View, and I'm so glad I went for that. Also, the sound system has bedded in quite nicely and after nearly 2,500 miles it sounds pretty good. Has required some fiddling with the equaliser, but to my aged non-audiophile ears, it's plenty good enough (but admittedly not as good as the Canton in the Octavia was!).

I remember seeing an online review which said those mini speaker grills at the top of the door with the canton badges were only branding and had no actual speakers inside.

sorry can’t remember where

Thank you for the replies.

5 hours ago, fuzzz said:

I find this canton rather good compared to original or non canton soundsystem on kodiag...this was awful. Problably you played with settings already? 

Yeah have played around with the equaliser settings, even going from -9 to +9 for the treble and mids doesn't seem to make a huge difference, you can definitely hear a change but not as drastic as I would have expected. 

3 hours ago, gojoholo said:

Thank you, very good to know. I will still get them to take a look :)

1 hour ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Didn't go for it in the Kodiaq though - my 'added luxury' this time around was Area View, 

We have everything wrapped up into a couple of packs here, I have gone Tech and Luxury to bring it close to the spec of my old Superb but area view is a new thing for. Definitely takes some getting used to. The 9.2" Columbus is a huge step up from the 8" on the superb. 

1 hour ago, Rayskoda said:

I remember seeing an online review which said those mini speaker grills at the top of the door with the canton badges were only branding and had no actual speakers inside.

Will take a look around. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Rayskoda said:

Whatever next, it will be exhaust exits without exhaust pipes... those dastardly designers...   As long as the online reviewer wasn't as gifted as the XR3 owner sagely telling me both his left hand speakers had blown.....I had a check, turned the balance from full right to centre and voilá the speakers were unblown :biggrin: oh yes, my canton speakers do work. 

3 hours ago, Rayskoda said:

The brochure says Canton comes with 10 speakers. 2 in each door (not including the badged ones) equals 8 plus the dashboard and the sub makes 10, so I guess the badged ones are just for show.

On 2018-05-20 at 06:38, drex said:

Hi All, 

Have just got into a new Kodiaq after a couple of years in a MK3 Superb. I am loving this car however I have a small issue. I'm fairly underwhelmed by the Canton system, it's much worse than the Canton system I had in my Superb and I think that is possibly due to the fact that the two speakers on the front doors labelled "Canton" next to door release aren't functioning at all. Can I please confirm with anybody else who has a Canton system whether or not sound is easy to hear out of these speakers? I can hear highs out of the speakers embedded into the window sills near the side mirrors but nothing out of the Cantons. I'm suspecting an amp issue given that they are both not working. I have emailed the dealer and will hopefully get it looked at next week. 

Cheers, Ben

i agree but if you adjust the sound and make it best fore the driver on the stereo it is mutch better but long from superb standard you can choose front driver or all on mine and if i choose driver it is mutch better.

On 20/05/2018 at 22:09, gojoholo said:

The brochure says Canton comes with 10 speakers. 2 in each door (not including the badged ones) equals 8 plus the dashboard and the sub makes 10, so I guess the badged ones are just for show.

I am guessing the non canton setup may have speakers behind those grills, same door card used for whole range.

I have the Canton system and am completely underwhelmed. The Bass is basically non-existent so not sure if it is right!
I was hoping for a nicely balanced sound system, but i seem to get only mid and treble. - this is with turning the "Sub" up to 9. - at -9 or +9 it seems to make no difference to the bass whilst sat in the front.

I’m not an audiolphile by any stretch  of the imagination, but I do not understand the emphasis of the Sound systems:

The basic noise in the car is around 69dB when drivning, so What is the point of fine tuned audio systems, when there is a 69dB base noise?

I have lots of treble middle and bass...sometimes even too much bass. Just set sound focus to DRIVER to actiavate the front middle speaker. Disable surround and here you have acceptable sound. Radio station varies from quality...but cd-s spotify and bluetooth sound is absolutely great. 

Thanks Fuzz I'll give this a go when i'm out at my car next.
It is on the Radio where I have been underwhelmed, listening to some Capital Xtra!
I'll connect up some bassy music on Amazon Music and try that so if it makes any difference

Edited by Andy_G
forget the quote

49 minutes ago, Andy_G said:

Thanks Fuzz I'll give this a go when i'm out at my car next.
It is on the Radio where I have been underwhelmed, listening to some Capital Xtra!
I'll connect up some bassy music on Amazon Music and try that so if it makes any difference

I know a lecturer that uses Capital stations as an example of how to ruin sound by the application of excessive compression 8-)

2 hours ago, fuzzz said:

I have lots of treble middle and bass...sometimes even too much bass. Just set sound focus to DRIVER to actiavate the front middle speaker. Disable surround and here you have acceptable sound. Radio station varies from quality...but cd-s spotify and bluetooth sound is absolutely great. 

Went out at lunch, played with the settings, putting the sound focus as front and turned off surround and it is much much better thank you!

1 hour ago, Jfhuk said:

I know a lecturer that uses Capital stations as an example of how to ruin sound by the application of excessive compression 8-)

I tried both on Capital and Kiss, Kiss was far clearer so your known Lecturer may be correct

Think the problem is more to do with the infotainment unit's equalizer/software than speakers. Because when I enhance bass on my phone through an app (like Poweramp) and stream over Bluetooth I get very deep clean bass. So the speakers are definitely capable of delivering rich bass-heavy sound. But unfortunately, the built-in EQ won’t allow you enhance and refine those low frequencies.

Dealer couldn't find a fault with the speakers (and confirmed that the Canton grills next to the door release are just for show) but they also informed me that each source has it's own individual sound settings, I thought that this would set for all sources so I will have another play around this weekend. 

In my book a full size spare is a must have on a car of this size, so didn't pick canton. I am actualy realy satisfied with the stock system, not as good as Infinity sound system like i had before, but much better than stock on other cars.

19 hours ago, McGyles said:

In my book a full size spare is a must have on a car of this size, so didn't pick canton. I am actualy realy satisfied with the stock system, not as good as Infinity sound system like i had before, but much better than stock on other cars.

Its nice that you had that option! In the UK they most specs can only have space saver spare wheels (All specs except "S" have 235 width tyres, "S" has 215/65 R17). On some specs you cant order any spare at all!

5b07bba4be181_ScreenShot2018-05-25at08_29_33.thumb.png.dc766a729aa82387dbb2c4a4089fda2f.png

Most dealers can now supply an add on kit that allows a space saver tyre, jack etc to be installed on those Kodiaq’s that don’t have it as an option. I’ve one installed on my five seat SEL.

• Like 1