Fuel filter issues

Hi all,

I was giving the 2007 1.9TDi octy a full service today before our big road trip on friday.

After opening up the housing I've discovered the fuel filter the motorfactors have given me is wrong, it comes with an olympic rings style gasket and quite a large middle opening, the one I need has small openings and not much else.

Its UFI housing, I guess I just need to tell the motorfactors that?

I've had to put it all back together for now anyway.

Something that did concern me was that sitting on top of the old fuel filter were some tiny silver metal filings!

is this something I should be concerned about? especially now I've had the filter apart, could any have made it beyond the filter?

Where have they come from?

Cheers

Rob

No body think there is anything to worry about? 

Where would the filings be from? The in tank pump? I have noticed a "shhhhhh" noise from the tank area of the car when you put your foot down. I guess that would be the pump making that noise?

Anyway I'll get the correct filter tonight, use a syringe to suck out the old diesel and as much of the filings as possible and top up with fresh diesel hopefully that will be ok. Got a few thousand miles around France coming up. 

Regarding the wron fuel filter, I think its a case of pot luck, whenever I'm servicing a new VW/Skoda/Audi car for the first time I always buy all 3 types just incase, the motorfactor never gets the right one if I just buy what they say.

As for the filings, that doesn't sound good! But not sure where they would be from? Lift pump perhaps? Are you definitely sure they were metal flakes?

HI, thanks for the reply. Got the correct one now and fitted it fine.

I syringed all the old diesel out and cleaned up the housing and filled with fresh diesel.  

Here are some pictures of the original filter, i think they are definitely metal flakes due to how shiny they are, also I think that could well be the original filter or at least the first service one (car is on 99k now) so it has had a long time to accumulate those flakes, although I am a little worried now.

IMG_20180530_180259_1.jpg

IMG_20180530_182002_1.jpg

To be honest, that filter looks about right, ive seen them taken out at 10k and been that dirty. Took mine out when I first got the car and it had what looked like mayonnaise or pork fat half way up it! Really silted up with rubbish.
Not sure what those flakes could be, as its not on the engine end and has been stopped by the filter, so its something from the tank to the housing :wondering: