Air filter box

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how to open the air filter box on the 1.4tdi engine, there doesn't seem like there any obvious ways in I cant see any bolts/screws or clips, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

It is possible/probably that the filter assembly is located on 2 or 3 or 4 wasted pillars and the plastic box has big rubber bungs with holes that locate down on these wasted pillars, so maybe try heaving it up, it will not come up/off easily so you need to use quite a bit of force, that will let you remove any associated pipes then invert the plastic box and unscrew the top from the base and open it up?

Lucky you if that parts listing is correct, so just 9 screws that are accessible from the top, or maybe you need to pull that air up of what is listed as 4 waisted pillars to get access to some of them.

Edit:- you can see where these 4 waisted pillars are on the retainer plate ref 14.

Another edit:- I think that these screws are accessible only from the underside of that air box if you look at the other posting about 1.4TDI air cleaner currently still on this page.

Edited by rum4mo

9 screws seems exessive... I remember the old days, where there was a clip or two! I think my Fab2 is simpler then this.

5 minutes ago, mrgf said:

9 screws seems exessive... I remember the old days, where there was a clip or two! I think my Fab2 is simpler then this.

Yes, and the logical way seems to be what is shown in the parts listing, but actual photos of 2 of these engines shows that the screws go in from the underside.  My wife's old Polo 2003MY 1.4 16V 75PS had quite a few screws holding the top to the base of the air cleaner box - all the positions were numbered for order of reassembling/tightening the screws - just self tappers into plastic, I'd hope this one has metal nuts moulded into the top cover.

Thanks all for the replies but it turned out that the car had been in a pretty bad accident sometime in it's life & not repaired properly, it was returned to the garage for a full refund.

Hum, I did not spot that it was "you" again, maybe you should have stuck with the initial posting of this general air cleaner issues!