1.6 Tdi CR- bunch of problems inc DPF

Due to a severe lack of time I've had to keep using my Fabia over the last couple of weeks despite the ECU and glowplug lights coming on.  It's also started to lose power quite badly.

Today I finally got a chance to read the fault codes and it's not looking good! Four different codes for DPF, DPF differential pressure sensor, turbo boost control position sensor, and a fourth one (B2aaa) that I haven't deciphered yet. 

Sticking my head under the car, I've also found that the exhaust has broken just in front of what I assume is the DPF. I'll try to attach a picture of that. 

The other picture is of what I think is the DPF sensor? 

Replacing the DPF sensor looks relatively simple, except I believe that it needs calibrated to the car- and there's no point doing that if the system is faulty elsewhere.

I'm curious about what effect the break in the exhaust is having. Should I get this sorted first and then reset the fault codes and see how the car behaves?

received_10155970915093071.jpeg

received_2092232204123716.jpeg

Edited by Baxter
Added photo

No expert here but I would say always look at the obvious first and that would be that all your problems will stem from the broken exhaust.  That is going to massively influence pressures throughout the system that will be so far outside normality that the diagnostics is going to assume sensor failure.  After all If you had a flat tyre with a 6 inch nail through the sidewall your first step wouldn't be to replace your tyre pressure gauge. ;-)

You have to fix the exhaust any way, so I would do that first then decide whether anything else needs fixing.

I would second that... The exhaust will almost certainly influence the sensors as they-well-sense! They are telling you there is a fault and the blindingly obvious one is the exhaust!

So I'm booked into the garage to get the exhaust welded but they're so busy that it'll be another couple of weeks before it gets done.

Before I noticed the hole/break in the exhaust, I'd had a fault code come up for the DPF pressure sensor. Looks like an easy enough job to swap out IF I can find someone nearby with VCDS to calibrate it.

But now I'm wondering if maybe the sensor fault was actually the first sign of loss of pressure in the exhaust?

Secondly... the DPF obviously won't be able to regen at the moment... but half the exhaust gases must be going out the hole, and not through the DPF... so I'm wondering whether continuing to use the car will kill my DPF?

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Where are you where there are no blacksmiths or welders?

Would that be an option? The DPF is connected to the car by various fuel pipes etc, I don't know if it could be welded in-situ (you'd need a car hoist anyway, so still a garage job) or whether the whole thing has to come off the car (again, a garage job I would have thought?)

If it's possible to just whip off the DPF without any special tools/skills then that's great news :D

What year is your car? My DPF is at the top of the engine I have a 2010 1.6tdi elegance model. The break in your exhaust appears to be after the DPF. 

I drove mine for 2 weeks with the exhaust and glow plug light on and eventually it went into limp mode and wouldnt go above 30mph, I really struggled to save the DPF but eventually i managed it with a cleaner and forcing a regen with VCDS

Edited by JakeCov

27 minutes ago, JakeCov said:

What year is your car? My DPF is at the top of the engine I have a 2010 1.6tdi elegance model. The break in your exhaust appears to be after the DPF. 

I drove mine for 2 weeks with the exhaust and glow plug light on and eventually it went into limp mode and wouldnt go above 30mph, I really struggled to save the DPF but eventually i managed it with a cleaner and forcing a regen with VCDS

The item in the picture looks like the cat to me. DPF will be straight after the turbo usually on  VW engines.

18 hours ago, Baxter said:

Would that be an option? The DPF is connected to the car by various fuel pipes etc, I don't know if it could be welded in-situ (you'd need a car hoist anyway, so still a garage job) or whether the whole thing has to come off the car (again, a garage job I would have thought?)

If it's possible to just whip off the DPF without any special tools/skills then that's great news :D

I would be very very worried if your DPF had fuel pipes going to it.

Edited by SuperbTWM

OK I thought I'd read somewhere that fuel pipes went into the DPF, something to do with performing regens. I guess that was wrong then!

Thanks for the headsup on whereabouts the break is in the exhaust, might make things easier to fix.

2 hours ago, JakeCov said:

Mine is also a 2010 1.6tdi Elegance.

I'm guessing I'll need access to VCDS in order to install/calibrate the DPF differential pressure sensor- unless the sensor is actually fine and it was just a symptom of the exhaust starting to leak?

1 hour ago, Baxter said:

Mine is also a 2010 1.6tdi Elegance.

I'm guessing I'll need access to VCDS in order to install/calibrate the DPF differential pressure sensor- unless the sensor is actually fine and it was just a symptom of the exhaust starting to leak?

I would still fix the exhaust leak first and then do some diagnostics. You could attempt to take the car on a good run and try and let it regenerate but if the sensor is the issue its not going to and you risk blocking your DPF to the point it needs to come off to be replaced or I believe some places can clean them.

VCDS is a really helpful tool in the VAG world, you can manage without it but it makes life a whole lot easier and can pay for itself instantly if it stops you having to take it to a garage.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: car has now been into the garage and they've said that the exhaust break is indeed at the DPF, not the cat.

Bad news is that they don't think it can be repaired- not possible to weld onto the dpf itself. They reckon somebody has bodged a repair here previously and added a section of flexi.

So it could be time for a pretty big bill. I'm waiting to hear from them about their price for a new DPF. In the meantime, is this the sort of thing I am looking to buy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soot-Particle-Filter-Diesel-Particulate-DPF-Roomster-Rapid-Fabia-Ibiza-POLO-6R/401443044393?fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item5d77debc29:g:3xAAAOSwmOJZ~G4D

39 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Isle of Skye

Ah I’ve got a downpipe with a cat and a dpf sitting here. 

Only thing wrong with it is we had to cut out the sensor between the cat and dpf for my new downpipe but you could easily cut that out yours and weld it in. 

C7B7EB62-5232-4573-85F9-64154E508D38.jpeg

CB3A1F12-9CBE-44B8-A771-D9AA9B11E641.jpeg

@AMD87 you might have to translate that for me, but as I understand you had a DPF clean carried out and then removed it altogether with 66k on it? So should have a bit of life left.

Garage are quoting silly money for a new DPF (more than half the value of the car), whereas I can get a new one for under £500 off eBay.

The fault codes I was getting also involved the turbo, so I'm wondering if the whole shebang is choked with soot.

Two questions...

1) Am I going to cause further damage by continuing to use the car in limp mode?

2) What are the chances that a new DPF is going to fix *everything*- and if some faults remain, are these likely to be economically repairable?

Yeah the full downpipe was taken off at 66k. 

You can take the inlet pipe of the turbo and see what it’s like and if there’s play in the turbo and the shaft. I did have a spare turbo but sold it to a friend when he blew his last month but you can get them on eBay for £200. 

You can get an android app called vag dpf and it will tell you how much soot is in the dpf. 

Limp mode is designed to protect it but long term I can’t comment on that as I’m not a mechanic.