Kodiaq Scout 150 TDI 4X4 Stalling

Good Afternoon

We took delivery of a new Kodiaq Scout TDI 4X4 about a month ago. Since the day we picked the car up we have been having issues with it occassionally stalling.

It seems to be when decelerating (with the clutch still out), so approaching roundabouts and junctions etc. 

We have turned off the Stop-Start and it still happens.

Unfortunately the dealer cannot find any fault with the car but its definately got a fault - it has done stalled when I have been driving and the wife notices it more (its her car)

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

The car is at the dealers at the moment and the service manager is taking it home tonight to see if he can get it to fault. If they dont get it to fault then I will be contacting skoda and asking for a loan car until its fixed!

Manual or DSG?

I'm surprised they haven't already put you in a courtesy car.

Make sure they do tomorrow. If the dealer tells you in the morning that they couldn't replicate the fault, that's not your concern. The car stays with them until they can identify the fault and tell you what they've replaced or adjusted to fix it.

It's a brand new £30,000 car, it absolutely has to be 100% fault free. You've already been inconvenienced by experiencing the fault, making contact with the dealer and dropping it off. Plus then speaking to them tomorrow, picking it back up etc.

You should be in one of their cars already, and one equivalent to your Kodiaq. If they don't have one then they can hire one. They hired me one the other week when they didn't have enough cars of their own.

Good luck.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Has the Official Skoda Dealership not arranged that car yet.   No point having a dog and barking yourself.   They get paid to be Warranty Agents.

What does the Service Manager usually drive as a perk, one Skoda UK own for 3 months, maybe get it.  

It is a safety critical fault, funnily Service Managers and Techs sometimes refuse to risk their lives.  Odd how it changes with the wind with them.

No issues myself but I did have a stalling issue with my previous diesel Skoda. Followed a fill up from Tesco which had a dodgy fuel batch that would cause a stall when decelerating. Don't think the new engine helped as it was tight and fairly intolerant to fuel quality variability. New tank of fuel from Shell resolved over the course of 300 miles. Sounds like yours is more persistent however rather than over the course of one tank of fuel.

If they force you to take the car back then drive it home, put it on the drive and ring Skoda Assist. Tell them it stalled as you drove into your street.

They'll send someone out, if the fault can't be found they'll arrange for the car to be transported back to the dealer and a hire car will be arranged and delivered for free.

Keep the hire car and only accept your Kodiaq back when they've found and fixed the fault.

This way the pressure is on the dealer / Skoda UK, and not on you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There were one or two reports of stalling from Yeti owners with the 150 Diesel engine but it turned out to be their driving style, ie keeping the car in too high a gear when driving slowly. 

?

If the Dealership could not find a fault, did the person that drove it, someone like a technician actually experience the 'stalling' but could not identify why it stalled?

ie, could not find the fault.

No idea why the Service Manager would take it home for a road test and to see if it stalls unless they are a Qualified Technician and not just a desk jockey.

A recent post, but no further info from the OP.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/450349-stalling-octavia-beware 

Edited by Offski

Would it not be far simpler if a mechanic accompanied you on a route where you experience these issues? Then get the mechanic to drive the same route. Then try it with one of the Dealership vehicles with the same engine and see if it happens whilst you drive that one?

There is the slight possibility that it may actually be your driving style. 

What worked in your previous cars and the driving style you have used for however many  years may not be suitable for your current vehicle. 

On 6/22/2018 at 22:08, stokie_nav said:

Good Afternoon

We took delivery of a new Kodiaq Scout TDI 4X4 about a month ago. Since the day we picked the car up we have been having issues with it occassionally stalling.

It seems to be when decelerating (with the clutch still out), so approaching roundabouts and junctions etc. 

We have turned off the Stop-Start and it still happens.

Unfortunately the dealer cannot find any fault with the car but its definately got a fault - it has done stalled when I have been driving and the wife notices it more (its her car)

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I've had this same issue for the last 6 years , i just did a post yesterday looking for answers . Mine is also a 4x4 TDi , i've owned since new 2008 and has 59,000kms

Copied from my own post "I have an odd symptom on my 2008 2ltr TDi Skoda Octavia (140bhp BMM engine , 6speed manual 4x4 , travelled 59,170kms)
I can drive for days without an issue, then as i'm slowing to a set of lights or a sharp corner the engine will die. If i am deft enough i can use the momentum of the engine to get it restarted (in gear) and just continue , and if i cant then i am stranded for 30 to 50 mins with no fuel on cranking yet will splutter with starting fluid spray. After X amount of cranks it will eventually get some fuel and splutter into life and away i go again.
This always happens in the most inconvenient and dangerous places.
The symptom is almost like the engine gets starved of fuel or its cut off, then has to bleed itself full again."

^^^ Welcome to the forum.

The Issues in Australia was eventually recognised and admitted by VW and there was a recall for the faulty injectors.

(like eventually the DQ200 DSG RECALL was done, a proper recall, not like Service Campaigns in Europe.)

?

Was your Skoda not part of this recall and actions and repairs carried out?

eg UK 

with a post by an Australian member before your authority forced VW to own up and do the right thing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/234767-injector-recall 

Australia.

Volkswagen to include Skoda cars in massive defect recall.mhtml

VW recalls cars due to mechanical problems.mhtml

Edited by Offski
  • Confused 1

Hmmm i'm in Australia , i never got a notification if mine was  officially effected . i should enter my vin on skoda site . Will report back in a bit

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Offski said:

^^^ Welcome to the forum.

The Issues in Australia was eventually recognised and admitted by VW and there was a recall for the faulty injectors.

(like eventually the DQ200 DSG RECALL was done, a proper recall, not like Service Campaigns in Europe.)

?

Was your Skoda not part of this recall and actions and repairs carried out?

eg UK 

with a post by an Australian member before your authority forced VW to own up and do the right thing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/234767-injector-recall 

Australia.

Volkswagen to include Skoda cars in massive defect recall.mhtml

VW recalls cars due to mechanical problems.mhtml

I just loaded the Skoda app and entered my info and Skoda doesnt understand my own vin O.o https://gyazo.com/1807a2dc75c6f56922761c014fb3d81e

Theres no where on the site to check TMBKE61Z182061819 as far as i can tell :( 

Here is a photo of my VIN https://gyazo.com/34890a3ce02f9ed9c5777069dca3f554

Edited by 928nic
forgot link

Luckily you being in Australia and it being a Safety Critical recall you can ask Skoda or VW in writing or on the phone and see if yours slipped through the net.

Many do with the VW Systems of VIN's and Imports etc.

Years after the fact you can maybe have them do what they should have done.

• Thanks 1

Yes, thanks , i should phone the scallywags up and just ask , though its now 5.09pm and Friday :p 

HAHAHAHA

Thanks very much for your welcome and advice , am guessing Parts and Servicing inquiries will be closed till Monday now , its how we roll here, ugh....

29872730_614565075548765_5242334309307799728_o.jpg

had a kitchen flatpacked in the boot and bamboo worktops and plywood on the roof . ( the joys of living on an island with no bridge :)  , if it fits in the car or on it , its legit :biggrin: )

Hiding between trucks !

62f5729240fda1a4552d8e450c92b03d-jpg.jpg

• Like 2

Oh and since new, the rear suspension has been woefully soft in the bum (its exceptionally annoying) , i have some firmer shocks to try off a VW Golf , i believe they should fit. The replacement shocks and springs were free, so worth a try :) 

On 6/30/2018 at 03:11, silver1011 said:

Wow, is that on the bump stops!?

I just had the wheels off the back end of my car, one bump stop was disintegrated , i have ordered a pair of new ones and some cheap spring helpers as the rear has always been really far to soft from new, i guess they just used VW Golf springs not allowing for the extra length of the car.

I guess flatpacked kitchens in the boot was a bit much . LOL

Heres the link for the spring helpers 
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-Type-C-Car-Auto-Shock-Absorber-Spring-Bumper-Power-Cushion-Buffer-131mm/323012685981 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Offski said:

They do the job. 

Over the years i have used Grayston spring assisters on various vehicles.

SPRING-ASSISTERS.jpg.d5b3799238e189c7e383e44dfeb021ab.jpg

I used to see them commonly in parts stores in the UK in the '90s . 

But i escaped in 2004 :) 

I tried looking for some on ebay australia , if these $20 ones done work out then i'll persist in finding better ones. 

Thanks for the follow up :) 

• Like 1

In the UK the Grayson Spring Assisters are just £10-£20.

As to the Estates rear springs, they are a different poundage from a Hatch or Golf Hatch, even when they estate or hatch has the same Max Gross Carrying capacity.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Offski said:

In the UK the Grayson Spring Assisters are just £10-£20.

As to the Estates rear springs, they are a different poundage from a Hatch or Golf Hatch, even when they estate or hatch has the same Max Gross Carrying capacity.

1 hour ago, Offski said:

I have 2 off 2008 TDi Octavia wagons , the 4x4 one has always had a soft bum compared to the fwd 1.9

I live on an island with no bridge , so one is island car and the other is kept on the mainland :) 

I did find these and saved the link https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRAYSTON-COIL-SPRING-ASSISTERS-RAISERS-26-38mm-Gap-Pair-2-GE14-Towing/263461696023

Are these the thickness you use generally ?.

Thanks

Edited by 928nic
spelling !

Sorry no idea what you need, i use them on offroaders with long challenge springs when i want to stiffen them up for road use and put on 2 on each spring.

I just pick them up at my Local Motor Factor.

New springs and broken one 006.JPG

Edited by Offski