GAP Insurance Quote

Car should be here on Saturday, so getting a few quotes on GAP insurance.

ALA have offered me a price match against Total Loss GAP for £84 on the VRS 245 - is that comparable to what others have paid?

Cheers!

I would be reading the Terms and Conditions as a few years ago, I paid £495 on an Audi A6 Diesel for 2 years and cost of £10k purchase price so £84 seems TOO cheap

12 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

I would be reading the Terms and Conditions as a few years ago, I paid £495 on an Audi A6 Diesel for 2 years and cost of £10k purchase price so £84 seems TOO cheap

That's generally just dealers making a massive mark up. Fully comprehensive GAP cover is achievable in the £100 region.

I don't think I've ever been offered GAP by a dealer for less than £300, and ALA which the OP was quoted by are one of the most reputable places for GAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brother in law picked up a new 440 gran coupe on saturday - BMW did him a 'deal' on GAP for £395, just did it via total loss and ALA to and its now £130.

ALA are well known and respected and ive used them before so no issue there, was more more in regards to the price.

The £84 was for £5k over 2 yrs.  All i need to cover is my exposure on the lease deal.

45 minutes ago, Ursicles said:

Brother in law picked up a new 440 gran coupe on saturday - BMW did him a 'deal' on GAP for £395, just did it via total loss and ALA to and its now £130.

ALA are well known and respected and ive used them before so no issue there, was more more in regards to the price.

The £84 was for £5k over 2 yrs.  All i need to cover is my exposure on the lease deal.

Yeah that sounds fine then, wasn't clear from your original post that it was a lease :)

Try Pistonheads Gap (which is run by ALA) for a quote and use code PISTON12. When I got mine I think that was cheaper than going to ALA directly. Quick check suggests £72 instead of £84

https://www.pistonheadsgap.co.uk

17 minutes ago, Ursicles said:

How did you get to that price?

I tried, but can only get to £110!

Doh... Ignore did it quickly and entered 5k as the vehicle price, wrongly assuming that first field was the amount of cover required. Apologies.

Edited by ahenners

• Sponsor

Hi,

Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance well feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.

Please feel free to take a look if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/

Regards,

Dan.

• Sponsor

Good evening Folks.

I thought I might take the opportunity to point out a few things here:

• Not all lease (e.g. Contract Hire) agreements need GAP insurance.   It depends on the specific terms of your contract but generally speaking if the finance company is VWFS there's usually a need for it, but with some companies (LEX for example), there's often no need.  It's worth checking.  If you need help working this out, please speak to us.
  • With three budget GAP insurers based in Gibraltar and Denmark having gone bust since 2016 (Enterprise, Elite and in recent weeks Alpha) it'd be wise to stick with larg(er) A-Rated insurers.  This can sometimes attract a premium but not usually considerable.
  • Our Contract Hire GAP insurance policy is almost identical to the one offered by ALA except for the fact that in the event you cancel your policy early and wish to take the unused premium back as a refund, they'll deduct a cancellation fee. We won't.
  • BRISKODA members get 10% discount off our prices using discount code "BRISKODA10".

See www.gapinsurance.co.uk for more details.

@Ursicles - I *think* our price after forum-member discount is probably going to be somewhere in the region of £89 but, if you'd care to share a few more details with me via DM I'd happily look to see if I'm able to beat your price of £84.

HTH

Edited by David@GAPInsurance

1 hour ago, David@GAPInsurance said:
  • With three budget GAP insurers based in Gibraltar and Denmark having gone bust since 2016 (Enterprise, Elite and in recent weeks Alpha) it'd be wise to stick with larg(er) A-Rated insurers. @Ursicles - I *think* our price after forum-member discount is probably going to be somewhere in the region of £89 but, if you'd care to share a few more details with me via DM I'd happily look to see if I'm able to beat your price of £84.

I'd agree with the sentiments of staying with grown-ups.

I work in the industry and the collapse of Alpha (and Enterprise last year) provided us with a massive uplift in (particularly) taxi policies.

I wonder how many taxi drivers who used Alpha are driving around unknowingly uninsured?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, David@GAPInsurance said:

@Ursicles - I *think* our price after forum-member discount is probably going to be somewhere in the region of £89 but, if you'd care to share a few more details with me via DM I'd happily look to see if I'm able to beat your price of £84.

HTH

Yep .. bang on £89, ill DM you a few details and see what you can do :)

• Thanks 1