How to increase ride comfort

Hello all, 

I have bought a used 2011 TSI model and it came with:

• 16" wheels, i.e. 195/45R16
  • lowered with (as I've been told at least) Seat Cupra's springs

Although, I love the car, what annoys me is the ride comfort. 

I can feel almost every bump on the road. 

Is there any way to ease ride comfort? 

As I see it, my options would be:

1. Changing wheels to 15", so that there's "more tyre" between the road and the alloy, which would probably absorb more bumps. 
    This would probably be quite costly, right?
  2. Changing springs or coilovers.

What do you suggest?

Thank you!

@ItsChris - You've got a good handle on the answers; revert to standard springs and/or higher profile tyres.

It may be possible to fit narrower and higher profile tyres on the 16" rims, but that will depend partly on the wheel width.

• Like 1

If in doubt get rid of the springs that might or might not be from a SEAT Ibiza and might or might not be right for a 1.2 TSI.

Then the dampers might be pretty well rubbish.

If you can fit coil overs and you think worth the money as the suspension needs upgrading anyway that is maybe what to do.

Not much wrong with 195/45 R 16 tyres. Seems hardly worth changing the wheels and tyres IMO.

@tweenster - That also makes some sense, but there is no one "correct tyre size" for a given wheel size. There may only be one OEM tyre size for a given wheel size but any given wheel diameter and width can accept a range of tyre widths and profiles.

• Like 1

I heard a rumour that a certain Mr Rolls and his buddy, Mr Royce, came up with a quite comfortable personal transport carriage some years ago. :tongue:

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2018 at 21:27, tweenster said:

Isn't the correct tyre size for the 16" wheel 205/45? That is what is on my 1.2TSI and would give you an extra 4.5mm of sidewall.

Yes, you're totally right, I got it wrong. 
I have 205/45/16, and specifically Bridgestone Turanza T005. 
Previous owner had Toyo Proxies which where quite bad in terms of cushioning bits of the road (probably due to their age though).

On 6/28/2018 at 13:08, Offski said:

If in doubt get rid of the springs that might or might not be from a SEAT Ibiza and might or might not be right for a 1.2 TSI.

Then the dampers might be pretty well rubbish.

If you can fit coil overs and you think worth the money as the suspension needs upgrading anyway that is maybe what to do.

Not much wrong with 195/45 R 16 tyres. Seems hardly worth changing the wheels and tyres IMO.

I will be going for a service next week and will ask them to check the state of the springs. 

When you say that the dampers might be rubbish, you mean that they might need changing regardless of the springs?

• Like 2

If you have 205/45x16 then it must be the lowering springs causing the harsh ride. Replace the springs with Eibach or H&R and have the standard shocks checked. If knackered replace with either standard or decent aftermarket, eg Bilstein.