Advice... which Citigo?

Shaunieboy

Hi there. I'm a Superb owner so feel a little bit like playing away at Leeds coming onto here :D

I'm looking for some advice on behalf of my mother in law.

She is keen on a Citigo but im embarrasingly uneducated on this model.

Which one should she go for? Apparently there are 2 different 1.0 engines? Are there any major problems to look out for, do they handle higher mileage? Are there any trim levels to avoid/go for?

Thanks in advance.

The two engines offer 60PS and 75PS outputs, but both are mechanically identical. The only real difference is that the 60PS version is electronically restricted above 5000rpm to reduce power. Within normal driving conditions both will feel and perform identically unless pushed pushed beyond 5000rpm - where the 75PS will (slowly) pull-away. Neither engine feels sporty, but they are refined and fast-enough for most situations.

These engines handle mileage well but the gearbox does tend to get noisier with age. Reaching 100,000 miles shouldn't be a problem so long as the car is well looked after.

If you are looking for a used model, my advice would be to go for one with aircon and low-mileage. There are lots of low-mileage Citigo's around so take your time and pick one that feels right.

If it is a new car then check comparison websites. Drivethedeal.com are currently offering brand new Citigo Colour Editions for £8188 (with over £2500 discount). This spec includes any choice of colour, aircon and alloys. Also consider the Seat Mii and VW Up as they are virtually identical to the Citigo. I just purchased a Seat Mii Design Edition for my daughter with >£3000 discounted off of list price. There are good deals to be had.

Overall, the Citigo/Mii/Up are reliable and very cheap to run. They also have a higher safety-rating than any other city-car - which I why I chose one for my daughter.

• Like 1

Parking sensors are available in combination with cruise control and trip computer as part of a pack if factory ordered. 

Greentech models are below 100gm per km. So no road tax 

Elegance model gets heated seats and electrically adjustable heated door mirrors. 

• Like 1

Just like to add, the Monte Carlo version of the Citigo is in no way sporty. The suspension, brakes, engine etc are identical to other models, so if MIL likes the look of one or you find a bargain take it. The wife liked the interior of our Monte Carlo, so we got one. An Elegance with a bit more kit would have been my choice, but the Monte Carlo is well specced for a second car and does the job well.

All Citigo are a bit pants on hills.

Edited by Luckypants

On 04/07/2018 at 15:02, Luckypants said:

Just like to add, the Monte Carlo version of the Citigo is in no way sporty. The suspension, brakes, engine etc are identical to other models, so if MIL likes the look of one or you find a bargain take it. The wife liked the interior of our Monte Carlo, so we got one. An Elegance with a bit more kit would have been my choice, but the Monte Carlo is well specced for a second car and does the job well.

All Citigo are a bit pants on hills.

I heard the suspension was 10mm lower on the monte & greentecs  :D