Farewell

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I'm leaving the fold with a loud, unintended *bang*.

Reason for that sound was a 30t tipper truck (5 axle), driven by a younger fella in a baseball-cap. As such head wear typically implies - that was a typical case of a highly-aware driver. Using his top-notch skills he managed to totally miss a decent sized car in the mysterious realms of dead-angles. That unfortunate being was me and my Octy. I have to admit, the truck driver accuracy was amazing - he managed a very rapid line-change attempt, hitting my car in the exact "sweet spot" - the very center of my left rear wheel. What followed, was a staged 180 spin with me ending in the wrong direction.

The result ****ed me off like hell...enough to say - not a single piece on left side was left undamaged. The crash expert used 1.5 A4 pages to list bits that must be replaced / repaired. Seeing welding on this list, L-F and L-R suspension busted, I gave up. Insides still untouched (no bags came off) but outside looked like an old banana - still in shape, but dents everywhere. It's sold and I'm trying to get balance from insurance.
To make things spicy the whole clash took place in a crowded tunnel during morning rush-hour; low speed (yay), but no place to move (crap). If it was not for my counter-reaction, the right side or front would probably get similar treatment as left side, but this time from the tunnel wall.

To make things yet spicier - it happened less than a week after I spent 4hrs detailing the car...just to see it demolished soon after.

I know I was inactive for some time, but now I guess I'll go dormant for longer...that is until I get another Skoda that is ;)

Cheers

PS: I really do not recommend seeing a truck logo 30cm off ones face...during the drive

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by john999boy
Non Freedom element removed.
  • Sad 1

I'm okay - car did it's job very well protecting the soft bit inside. Speed relatively low, and if not for enormous momentum of that truck, the car would go out of it with repairable damage...30t leave no room for negotiations it seems :/

Anyhow - I got seriously ****ed, because that Octy was to me more a friend than a machine...but I'm letting it go and chilling now ;)

Sucks to hear - when I crashed mine and airbags went off, I thought it was a gonner but..  I managed to get it repaired since the damage was not so big.

But hey, you can always take the chance to now get some new extras or some better engine.

Just be glad you walked away, since a car can always be replaced.

Tell later what you replaced it with ;)

Wow that's unfortunate and hope you get it all sorted without much hassle :sadsmile:

As above, metal easily replaced, injuries or lives are a bit more permanent. Least you walked away from it.

14 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Sucks to hear - when I crashed mine and airbags went off, I thought it was a gonner but..  I managed to get it repaired since the damage was not so big.

But hey, you can always take the chance to now get some new extras or some better engine.

Just be glad you walked away, since a car can always be replaced.

Tell later what you replaced it with ;)

Well, since my wife is having now the "big family machine" I could sneak under the radar with smaller bit...2 door, funky color, a bit more HP...well a bit more than a bit more ;P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Glad too hear you are safe and well wlange.  Metal can be replaced unfortunately you can't.

Safe driving from now on

AG

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, wlange said:

As for the replacement: it's small, yellow and angry!

2.jpg

Admit it now... You just went to sit yourself next to that truck in the hope it would turn on you so you could get the Audi :)

nice upgrade you got there - congrats :)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Admit it now... You just went to sit yourself next to that truck in the hope it would turn on you so you could get the Audi :)

nice upgrade you got there - congrats :)

I consider it a moral and emotional compensation for bleeding eyes I had when I saw what that $#^$#^* (nice person) did to my Octy! B)

Let's hope Skoda will come up with a 310HP+ Superb in 3-door body then I'll be back :rofl:

I gotta say - the FWD 180HP TSI I had in Octy was nice, but 4x4 / 310HP combo is yet nicer :angel:

2 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

On that we fully agree, since I am pretty sure our cars share a lot of underpinnings ;)

I'd say 80-90% DNA in common. One of main reasons for going with TT. I was initially opting for 435i for quite a long time, but insides did not convince me, whereas TT was a "wow" thing from start...that steering wheel I'm telling ya!

Nice bonus at the end was insurance and taxes that were both just few percent higher than my L&K 1.8 Octy. In case of beemer, despite similar value, assumed expenses came with a punch.

Anyways - I can recommend this change for everyone who does not need all that room Octy gives ;)

• Like 1