High presure pump offset

Hi,

Changed today the cambelt at 152.000 km just to be sure there are no surprises and service said that the high preasure pump was offset by 3 teeth.

The car had the ea189 fix 5 months ago.

Is this normal? It's part of the ea189 fix?

Edited by AlexVicol

From what I understand about the EA189 engine is that the timing of the fuel pump is not of the utmost importance, that is why it has adjustable mounting slots in it's drive pulley to help in timing belt fitting. However 3 belt notches is a surprise.

Injector timing on this engine is electronically controlled.

I think if the engine is starting and running OK I would leave it as it is. What does your service garage recommend?

It is the PD engine (which the EA189 is not) where the pump timing is very critical.

4 hours ago, Roots Supercharger said:

It is the PD engine (which the EA189 is not) where the pump timing is very critical.

Not really when the PD engine doesn't have a HPFP :D

I would time up the engine as in the manual, you wouldn't think the timing would matter on a HPFP on common rail because the pump has nothing to do with the actual timing of the injection but its in the manual so it can't hurt to do the job right

Edited by SuperbTWM

On the PD, the tandem pump on the engine pressurises the fuel in pulses: if the timing is off, the pressure won't be there at the injectors because either it hasn't build enough, or it's on the way down. The unit injectors can only work with what they're getting from the tandem pump.

On the CR, the HPFP is also pulsed rather than continuous so if it's off, again there will be problems at the injectors since the rail pressure is not at maximum when needed during injection.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chimaera said:

On the PD, the tandem pump on the engine pressurises the fuel in pulses: if the timing is off, the pressure won't be there at the injectors because either it hasn't build enough, or it's on the way down. The unit injectors can only work with what they're getting from the tandem pump.

Never heard that one before, do you have any information on this?

Edited by SuperbTWM