Thoughts on depreciations ?

Looking at buying a 15  plate VRS.  Diesel hatch around £14500.  Dsg low miles. But I Was shocked to find the price of these cars with mileage is identical to an Audi A4 s line dsg. For me the Octavia is more suited with 3 kids howver far less refined and less toys over the Audi.  slightly worried about depreciation.  Looked at 2011-12 plate a4 s lines which seem to still hold around £12500. 

Howver i I have found that the shape of the 15 plate Octavia VRS came out 2013. So can't really compare other than a 2011 reg Octavia which looks very similar to me however now quite as new/ refined. But these alarmingly seem to be around 8-9k. 

Really interested in the octavia however if the £15000 price tag is only worth around 8-9k in 4 years I would be inclined to steer well clear. I was hoping they would hold the value a lot better as I was surprised the 15plate octy goes for around £15000 in the first place. Anyone think they should hold the value and maybe it's abit unfair comparing it to the pre 13 shape ?  Thoughts would be great. 

Car tech - especially cabin tech - is moving on at greater speeds all the time, making models obsolete/less desirable faster than ever. 

Buy the car you want. That’s what I do. It’s makes for a more enjoyable ownership. 

That's true scott. The car I want is the s line however boot wise the Octavia is better for the family. Bother really nice cars But knowing they are the same price The Audi has more toys. and knowing the Octavia potentially 4K more depreciated in say 4 years has changed my decision from head over heart. To now just really confused lol. 

Autotrader does not tell you a cars 'Value' it gives an idea of 'Prices', 

Put a cars Reg Number and miles etc into WBAC and that is what they Value them at, and then who sells them after buying or WBAC's Dealers selling them have the Asking Prices with a Grand or 3 on the WBAC valuation.

3 year old Diesels out of Manufacturers 'Value' is anyones guess, it is how desperate a Dealer is to get their money back that they paid out.

Audi Dealers are getting real, as will Skoda ones soon enough.

As more buyers and manufacturers are turning their backs on diesels, the market for a 6-8 year old diesel VRS in 2021-2021 will be very weak. If you really want the car and will get a lot of enjoyment out of it then buy it, if depreciation is a concern then try to stretch yourself into a petrol VRS. 

I've got a 2nd child due at the end of the year and am considering replacing my BMW X3 with an Octavia while my disposable income will be choked by nursery fees for the next 3 years. Through Carwow I have received 20% discounts on 1.5L SEL Octavia Estates. The pickle is choosing between that, a used Octavia or used VRS Estate. Just need to do a bit more math and figure out whether depreciation is so steep that I'm financially better off buying a more premium car.

Currently residual values are very poor for sedans and estates across the board. Although pricier, SUVs have the strongest resale values right now.

Interesting, I’m also looking for an Octavia Vrs for that budget but in a manual, hadn’t considered an A4 if I’m honest. Assumed they would be a lot more. I do prefer the Avant though 

Would the running costs of the Audi be significantly more? Parts , servicing etc 

Standard servicing costs are the same for minor service at Audi. Major Is £30 more. Tax is the same roughly.  Iv drove both and the wife. Got 2 kids seats and a 10 year old. I think the Octavia was slightly bigger in the bar for legroom for the eldest. But the boot is a huuuge difference on the Octavia over Audi. 

May be diff for manual.  But we want auto. And a 15 plate s line. Is the price of a VRS. If not generally lower mileage which is what has surprised  me 

12 hours ago, orangeandy said:

Looking at buying a 15  plate VRS.  Diesel hatch around £14500.  Dsg low miles. But I Was shocked to find the price of these cars with mileage is identical to an Audi A4 s line dsg.

I'm assuming the list price of a new A4 is greater than that for a new Octavia? In which case, isn't it the A4 that has had bad depreciation, while the Octavia has held its value better?

£6k depreciation over 4 years is ok in my book, especially  if it's the car you need or want.

it's only £1500  a year, some people are losing way more than that in depreciation

When I started looking at Octavias in Jan/Feb there were slim pickings within my criteria (2.0tdi, Elegance, manual, estate, >£9.5K, <90K miles, >=2013) but I was struggling to find ford Focus/Mondeos with similar searches within that budget, let alone Audis :D

The one I ended up with has Park Pilot & Park Assist too (didn't realise that until a couple of days into ownership) and I paid £9K for a December 2014 registered model with 76K on the clock.  It wasn't "cheap" by any stretch and not exactly low mileage (I figured with 25K PA going on it the DPF probably wouldn't be an issue).

This was only after I'd revised my budget though, initially I was looking at older models but they were still up (IIRC) around the 6K-7K mark which I thought was still quite high for 5+ year old cars.

I guess they drop a lot in the first 3-4 years and then plateau out a bit. 

13 hours ago, orangeandy said:

That's true scott. The car I want is the s line however boot wise the Octavia is better for the family. Bother really nice cars But knowing they are the same price The Audi has more toys. and knowing the Octavia potentially 4K more depreciated in say 4 years has changed my decision from head over heart. To now just really confused lol. 

Are you comparing like for like e.g engine, year, mileage and gearbox?

30 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

£6k depreciation over 4 years is ok in my book, especially  if it's the car you need or want. 

Exactly. A new car will depreciate a lot more than that.

Today I spotted a brand new VRS Estate

Retail price: £31,650

42 months at 10,000miles/year

Optional final payment: £10,663

Basically. £6k depreciation is a lot less than £20,987 which is just over 3 times the amount.

I wonder if the higher used prices for the Octavia are due to the current long waiting times on new ones meaning there is more interest in secondhand ones hence keeping the price artificially high. If this is the case then there should be a correction in price once all the new regs and testing have gone through and waiting times are back to more normal levels.