Blackvue Installation

You could alternatively run it along under the floor mats and up.

I wanted an extension from the power socket in the boot to the front for a while for my phone as I didn't want wires all over the place and so I just carefully ran it under the inside rubber sills (pushed it up underneath them) and between the carpet and up so that the cable just stuck up by the phone holder.

No unsightly cable, no radio interference. Neat and tidy.

• Like 1

I've been giving it some thought alright. There is some trim it looks like I could use to hide the cable handy enough.

I had initially booked a Halfords fella to do it on the 12th. But have been thinking since that I would like to do it myself: no one loves my car like I love my car. As mentioned, my concern is about the airbags though. 

The Halfords guy has apparently fitted a few of these in Octavias and apparently recommends the Power Magic Pro. I'm now leaning towards doing it myself and using the OBD2 port, but there are still things I'm not sure about. 

- airbag locations

- any potential downsides of using OBD2 port

-  OBD2 VS PMP Hardwire - seems same functionality/ same draw on Battery and electrics?

It's a new car, so I want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to do anything stupid or make the wrong choice.

Don't use the OBD port. Its not what its designed for.

If you want a Power managed system go with the Power Magic, if you want to run off an Ignition Switched supply or Battery Permanent then piggy back at the fuse box - loads of information if you search on here.

I'd avoid Halfords touching my car like the plague.

Don't worry about routing around the A Pillar Airbags, it is quite clear and easy to do with the correct trim removal tools.

42 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Don't use the OBD port. Its not what its designed for.

If you want a Power managed system go with the Power Magic, if you want to run off an Ignition Switched supply or Battery Permanent then piggy back at the fuse box - loads of information if you search on here.

I'd avoid Halfords touching my car like the plague.

Don't worry about routing around the A Pillar Airbags, it is quite clear and easy to do with the correct trim removal tools.

Ok - fair enough - dont use the OBD port, but have you any reasons as to why not? I'm trying to understand this.

If I dont have to go screwing around with the fuse box, I'd rather not. The OBD option sounds the elegant solution, so trying to understand what the specific disadvantages are.

On 02/07/2019 at 19:36, Otto_Octavius said:

Ok - fair enough - dont use the OBD port, but have you any reasons as to why not? I'm trying to understand this.

If I dont have to go screwing around with the fuse box, I'd rather not. The OBD option sounds the elegant solution, so trying to understand what the specific disadvantages are.

I wouldn't touch the ODB to be honest. Diagnostics port is not something you want to fiddle with even ifs its to run a 12v/5v source from, as mentioned that just not what it was designed for.... disadvantages are if you burnout the plug or damage it it will cost a hell of a lot more to repair than a piggyback fuse holder.

The fuse box is simple to configure to run either a constant or switched 12v to your camera, there are dozens of posts on 'how to'. Requires a piggy back fuse and removal of the glove box.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I wouldn't touch the ODB to be honest. Diagnostics port is not something you want to fiddle with even ifs its to run a 12v/5v source from, as mentioned that just not what it was designed for....

the fuse box is simple to configure to run either a constant or switched 12v to your camera, there are dozens of posts on 'how to'. Requires a piggy back fuse and removal of the glove box.

Any insight in to how/where you ran the cabling from front to back?

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I tried to remove some of the trim to go around airbags and freaked out. Trunk trim was a nightmare too. Only just about managed to remove the gromits in the back and gave up. Went to Halfords and they did a fantastic install - very clean, very professional. Absolutely delighted with the result, it's a tidy unit.