Octavia Estate Greenline owners

Hi all,

Any Greenline owners around? I am shopping around for an Octavia Estate (2014-2015 plate) and the Greenline's mpg looks too good to be true (88-90mpg). I realise that this is from the manufacturers tests and generally it's impossible to achieve the same results in real life driving conditions but how far off are the results?

Is it worth getting the Greenline from a savings point of view? I would be looking at using it in the coming years at weekend trips to the Lakes/Wales?Scotland (from Leeds) also one trip a year to France.

Or perhaps a standard Octavia 1,6 engine TDI CR is more than capable enough to return a decent fuel consumption? Also does it make a difference in terms of engine/spec/etc what year the car is from, say 2014 or 2015? I would like to get a new one as much as possible but realise I am limited by my budget.

I would be looking at spending up to 10k pounds and hoping to get a car with less than 50k miles on it. Not many cars around that price/mileage but enough come through every now and then.

I realise some of these questions might seem silly to some of the more experienced owners/drivers on this forum but I don't really have friends that know much about cars and don't know who else to ask. I also got a bit ripped off when I purchased my first car (Fabia Estate 1.9 SDI) as the dealer saw me coming a mile away :blush: so would prefer to avoid a similar situation.

Thank you

The biggest benefit of the greenline over the standard 1.6 is the taller 6th gear. The 5 speed box does not pair well with the 1.6 in my experience. The 7 speed DSG is better though, as the final drive is taller. Expect to see about 55 MPG as an average with over 60 possible but 70 is harder to achieve real world. The engine was the same throughout production but for MY16 the media unit was upgraded with a larger standard screen and SmartLink compatibility for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. TBH, I would go for a regular 1.6 as it’ll be cheaper to buy and you’ll have more to pick from so a nicer spec could fall in budget.

I have been running a 1.6 SE sport estate for nearly two years now and regularly get 60+ mpg ok recorded on the in car dash rather than  actually calculated by me. My regular commute until recently was a 29 mile one way trip a mixture of a roads, motorway  and the car park called the M25! It's has taken us across to Lubeck twice this year and is about to take us to France. Performance doesn't set the world on fire, but it ticks along nicely. Reasonably comfortable and a reasonable spec, OK the SE sport was a run out model before the facelift, but the standard SE is a put ok spec.

You are not going to get the claimed 80/90 mpg returns in normal use because that would be the urban cycle claim and that would only be possible in similar circumstances to the laboratory test. Around 20 deg C temp, fully warmed up engine, averaging around 70kph and driving very carefully then you might get that figure.

Real life involves DPF regens, cold weather starts (with winter fuel), use of air-con in hot weather, traffic, or high speed highway runs, rain, wind, heavy loads!!! All of which will compromise consumption.

However with a modicum of care and mainly longer journeys then 60+mpg (possibly better according to some) should be feasible.

If your regular commute is very short then consumption may drop into the 40's and you should consider a petrol engine option.

Another factor is whether the cheat 'fix' applies to the 1.6d (I cannot remember) and that is another story.

On 03/08/2018 at 14:31, SashaGrace said:

The engine was the same throughout production

According to the brochures (which are well known to be riddled with mistakes) the engine was only EU5 emissions before MY16.

The Greenline is supposed to be slightly lighter, have a better drag coefficient and different tyres/pressures for reduced rolling resistance. A whole load of options weren't available on the Greenline, presumably to keep the weight down.

• 8 months later...

I test drove one the other day on a mixed route and got an indicated 71.7mpg. Needless to say I bought the damn thing. The figures were still climbing by the time I got it back to the dealership.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2019 at 09:34, gregoir said:

A Greenline  and the Vrs?

I had to sell the vRS, sadly. It was going to be wasted on my new daily 75-mile commute and since it only had 64k miles on it I didn't want to ruin the value. Hence I sold it to another car guy who I know will look after it and bought something that'll hopefully be reliable while also doing 70mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2019 at 16:33, No.733 said:

I test drove one the other day on a mixed route and got an indicated 71.7mpg. Needless to say I bought the damn thing. The figures were still climbing by the time I got it back to the dealership.

Yes, I can get into to 70's quite a lot in mine.