Sticky rear brakes... after washing

richie

Evening all. Not posted on here for a while, but I need some advice.....

In a nut shell, the rear brakes on my sons car stick badly after I wash the car and leave it standing over night. The last time I washed, the rear nearside brake stuck on so bad, the wheel locked and left a 20 foot skid mark down the road!! Once the car was reversed, the brake released and it's been fine ever since. It's a 2013, 63 plate Sport.

My son is looking to change the car in the next few months but I need to get this fixed ASAP, either new brakes or an effective repair. The car didn't do this when we got it and has been serviced as per the schedule (once we established the previous owner missed the 2nd service.. Long story!!)

Advice, tips, solutions etc all gratefully received and if anyone can recommend some where in the West Kent area, even better.. Cheers folks.

VAG cars have always been prone to this. I had an instance on a M reg Passat in a Gatwick airport car park where I had to clump the drum hard with a mallet to release the shoes. My advice, particularly as you are selling it soon, is to leave the handbrake off and put it in gear when standing after washing. Also, if coming through deep puddles prior to leaving the car, make sure the brakes have been used a few times to warm them up prior to parking overnight. There is no guarantee that changing the drums/shoes will stop this happening. 

• Like 2

Just a google or Briskoda search of 'sticky rear brakes after washing',  will show years of threads and posts on the same issue, especially in the Fabia Mk2 section.

Same old, same old way of dealing with it, strip and service brakes, clean, grease back plate, springs, brake cables, and it still continues.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.   You get used to it because there never was an advance in technology, and it can even happen with discs at the rear.

I think this happens to pretty much all cars depending on how long it's been sitting after it's been washed.  Happened on my old focus, the wife's C-max and now my Octavia.

As above, when washing the car put it in gear and leave the handbrake off :)

I have considered leaving the hand break off, but my drive is sloped and I worry about the damage it could cause the gear box.... I know I could use a couple of house bricks to chock the wheels, but It could cause strain and damage to the gear box, couldn't it?

And I don't have any issues with my Octi or the wife's Ferbi…. Must be a drum break issue? 

Edited by richie
Forgot some thing... What a twonk!!

No damage done for the gearbox. Not any kind. 

Is slope is steep enough the engine wouldn't keep the car stationary. That's the only risk. 

Just now, Emil said:

No damage done for the gearbox. Not any kind. 

Is slope is steep enough the engine wouldn't keep the car stationary. That's the only risk. 

I think it wold, but I really don't want to risk it.

If you don't want to put it in gear take it for a short run and use the brakes significantly to dry them out. Also a good idea not to spray too much water round the rear brakes. If you have steel wheels take the trims off to clean them. Your chances of gearbox damage are in the realm of 0%.

It could be bad for the engine if it is turned backwards. You can prevent that risk by selecting reverse gear if car is parked uphill. And 1st gear when car is parked downhill. 

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Just a google or Briskoda search of 'sticky rear brakes after washing',  will show years of threads and posts on the same issue, especially in the Fabia Mk2 section.

Same old, same old way of dealing with it, strip and service brakes, clean, grease back plate, springs, brake cables, and it still continues.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.   You get used to it because there never was an advance in technology, and it can even happen with discs at the rear.

I'd repeat sticking of the rear brakes on my old Octavia. Cleaning up and freeing never sorted it for more than a few months. The hot brakes reinforced my belief in changing brake fluid as per the service schedule.

I also had a Mk 3 Golf with rear drums. The linings were badly rusted to the drums after leaving it on the drive for a few weeks. Other cars similarly, but usually freed off with a bit of usage.

Edited by gregoir
Addendum

Had this on a Polo and Mk1 Fabia, turned out to be the pivot of the handbrake actuating arm, which is attached to one of the shoes, stopping the handbrake releasing. Bit of PlusGas, working the arm which can be done in situ, then lubrication mostly cured the problem as there was still very slight stiction of the shoes to the drum but nothing like where I also dragged a locked wheel down the road with the Polo. 

Got he car booked in at a VAG independent garage in a couple of weeks, it needs an MOT, so get it all done in a day