Arm rest retrofit question

Hi I have a 2001 Octavia 1.9tdi Hatchback and after searching on Ebay for a center console with an arm rest for about a week I've had to give up as I couldn't find one and if I did it was the wrong colour.

So my question is what other VAG models would provide a direct fit of the armrest? I know I'm gonna have to butcher the center console but I'm ok with that.

Any suggestions? I've looked on forums but most of the pictures are expired and I can't see whats being talked about :)

The armrest in my Octavia is made up from about 4 or 5 different cars I found in a scrapyard :D However all the parts came off either an Octavia or a VW Golf Mk IV. I believe the armrest itself in mine is from a Golf but the metal mount that attaches it to the car is off an Octavia and the trim pieces that surround it I believe were also off an Octavia.

I think the Golf IV arm rest will fit inc. the metal mount but you may need to butcher the centre console as you describe, thankfully I got lucky and didn't need to do that. I did find that the armrest lid catch was broken on every one I came across so bought a £3 new replacement off eBay and it worked a treat :)

One thing to bear in mind though, the armrest gets in the way of the hand brake, so mine is usually folded back.

The arm rest is a separate part to the centre console. There should be a tray at the back of your console, this pop's out to fit the arm rest. A Mk4 Golf arm rest will fit but the mounting bracket will need trimming to go around the cigarette lighter. Also the Golf side trims will need trimming to fit the console as the Golf one is slightly different.

40 minutes ago, Skoda_Driver1972 said:

I've seen this one and it doesn't say it fits an Octavia and id rather pay more than have to chop up a bracket for the 12v lighter, thats what I've managed to read up.

That's fair enough, you don't have to chop up the bracket you just need to trim it to fit around the cigar lighter. Many Mk1 owners have fitted the Mk4 Golf ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

So the arm rest that I bought from the link above which was 2x the price of the one that the other person posted was EXACTLY the same even though it said its a straight fit for an Octavia and had to be modified. For anyone reading this in the future and wanting to do it here's a few pics:

chgqJAl.jpg

PxpsfjD.jpg?1

7GAu08b.jpg

ctJkAKE.jpg

YO0J8jI.png?1

fQFepbg.jpg

L600gzf.jpg

For those wondering how the metal bracket has to be modified, ive forgotten to take the picture of mine but i found one on the internet and outlined the "ridge" that has to be cut. Its doable with a hacksaw if you know what you're doing.

yic51iR.jpg

Edited by WelshSkoda93
  • Like 2