When the lockdown is eased to allow more freedom to head off doing more touring and road trips i have my OLPRO Extra Large Pop Up Toilet tent and Porta potti ready to go, 

literally.  Along with my camping gear.

Trying to avoid the usual tourist hotspots and get on the best driving roads in Scotland and were there is a lesser chance of the midge.

But then many others will have the same idea & maybe even busy out and about this winter where usually you can find quiet places.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

When the lockdown is eased to allow more freedom to head off doing more touring and road trips i have my OLPRO Extra Large Pop Up Toilet tent and Porta potti ready to go, 

literally.  Along with my camping gear.

Trying to avoid the usual tourist hotspots and get on the best driving roads in Scotland and were there is a lesser chance of the midge.

But then many others will have the same idea & maybe even busy out and about this winter where usually you can find quiet places.

I would recommend to anyone who loves scenery to head out to Ardnamurchan Point(Peninsula), The most westerly point in main land uk. I done this route over a weekend last year and bar the north west coast it the most stunning drive I’ve done in Scotland -

DB77BEC9-30EA-42AC-9D26-4A02D6BD705D.thumb.jpeg.651b9279b78ff73c49176f80fd8aa253.jpeg

Driving out to Ardnamurchan (Point C) is unreal as your driving through what was ancient volcano’s and the road goes right through the middle of one, Then when you arrive at The peninsula your greeted with Sanna Bay & the Ardnamurchan lighthouse.

FD4E3705-18A7-4D64-9F7D-F2D01F0D60C0.thumb.jpeg.2135425bfe02c614e5c9f1baa2f269bb.jpeg

10E8A205-0338-4AED-85FE-B287C853DF83.thumb.jpeg.9701a974829cdbbe610f2e469d5fdb2f.jpeg

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

E05C0B0D-6A13-4D85-B67D-64FB6115FFFD.thumb.jpeg.f1d6961be79f533f739026508e552ab3.jpeg

8918D88C-D689-4132-98C9-EBDC2D869BF9.thumb.jpeg.f529ee2c089ddae863811cfbf3be3d55.jpeg

Sanna Bay

680FE655-C1AB-4F85-9982-A4D6CCA85537.thumb.jpeg.6bb83da48c381290556b8523e454784b.jpeg

622FE29E-519B-470D-9382-04EE22D63B87.thumb.jpeg.30a531ab4e3ebe80312d3a7d1d928d10.jpeg

04FB7FC0-23C3-42E1-97F3-BD12B82F35C3.thumb.jpeg.5cfd03ef637f5f74bea1089d625f3cfc.jpeg

10E8A205-0338-4AED-85FE-B287C853DF83.thumb.jpeg.9701a974829cdbbe610f2e469d5fdb2f.jpeg

Lots of camping spots and tons of history to be had around the area and places like Caslte Tioram & The silver sands of Morar not too far away.

30A5C499-F39C-409B-878F-A5D6D65E77AF.jpeg.1d583ce528acbdaba53c7bd1dad9163d.jpeg

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 2

On 12/06/2020 at 14:26, MickA said:

Following my post in April I had to make a decision whether to carry on with our plans to tour Scotland, including the NC500 or just forget about it for this year.

Well that's been made now, we cancelled everything. For the good of our health really I'm asthmatic and just don't want to risk it this year. Plans afoot to do it neaxt year now, everything crossed we can get there.

Gutted for you mate.

I’m hoping I can squeeze a couple of trips in later in the year, I was booked to go my dream trip to St.Kilda however the pandemic ruined that.

If I could give you any advice before you head up here it would be to add a few days onto your original  plans, Every trip I come back  with the same feeling of wishing I’d had another few days.

Edited by Mickmartin

@Mickmartin

I have been fortunate enough to have done most of the coastal roads and cross country and glens by moped, motorbike, pushbike, campers, vans and cars over the years.

You mentioned Lochgilphead, my uncles was the head postmaster for that area  and i have a cousin that is still in the area but i have not been there for quite a few years.

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 172.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 177.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 179.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 333.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 355.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 325.JPG

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

21 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Mickmartin

I have been fortunate enough to have done most of the coastal roads and cross country and glens by moped, motorbike, pushbike, campers, vans and cars over the years.

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 172.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 177.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 179.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 333.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 355.JPG

Arrochar, Oban, Mallaig 325.JPG

I've seen quite a lot  but not enough for my liking , My list of places to visit here seems to grow and grow.

I’m hoping to try get to all the western isles in next  few years, I’ve Visited a few but the smaller ones still deceive me, Next year I’m driving the west coast of Ireland and can’t wait, Now looking at the possibility of lapping the whole of the Irish coast.....Odd hotel here and there but I’m quite happy to throw up the tent and get a fire going.

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

I have all the charging points checked out for doing free EV charging and fully intend getting my 20,000 miles a year's allowance from my motability car.

Spare batteries for an E-bike as well to revisit places that i have not spent much time at.

Sooner i get starting off the better.

49 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

Gutted for you mate.

I’m hoping I can squeeze a couple of trips in later in the year, I was booked to go my dream trip to St.Kilda however the pandemic ruined that.

If I could give you any advice before you head up here it would be to add a few days onto your original  plans, Every trip I come back  with the same feeling of wishing I’d had another few days.

It would have been our third time in as many years. Just about getting the gist of it now and had planned on staying at stops longer this time.

We started off by doing one nighters, not enough time spent anywhere even though it was over 18 days. Second time we stopped off for two nights at places.

This year it would have been longer at places, 4 nights on Skye, 3 nights Inverary,  3 nights Aberdeen to name a few. Up the East, down the West coast 18 nights total.

Us 2017....

IMG_20170923_122603300.jpg

Edited by MickA
add image
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, MickA said:

It would have been our third time in as many years. Just about getting the gist of it now and had planned on staying at stops longer this time.

We started off by doing one nighters, not enough time spent anywhere even though it was over 18 days. Second time we stopped off for two nights at places.

This year it would have been longer at places, 4 nights on Skye, 3 nights Inverary,  3 nights Aberdeen to name a few. Up the East, down the West coast 18 nights total.

Sounds awesome! If i could convince the wife to move  I’d be living on that north coast no bother!  

Edited by Mickmartin

3 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

Sounds awesome! If i could convince the wife to live I’d be living on that north coast no bother!  

We've met some fab people on our travels around Scotland. Stayed in B&B's pubs even an hostel once at Applecross. The most weird was at Armadale, a Dutch lady on her own she was quite elderly and she ran this old farmhouse on her own with just help to do the beds each day. No TV no breakfast as such, basic stuff but with the charm of an old rickety farmhouse. Just help yourself to whatever she had in the larder/fridge, it was great but very different.

11 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@MickA 

I hope you have had the chance to use the A93,

or the B974 Fettercairn / Cairn o' Mount, and the A930 Lecht / Tomintoul routes, and by Grantown-on-Spey to the Moray Firth.

I've got a book full of stuff to visit routes to take, I'll make a note to do them, so much to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MickA said:

We've met some fab people on our travels around Scotland. Stayed in B&B's pubs even an hostel once at Applecross. The most weird was at Armadale, a Dutch lady on her own she was quite elderly and she ran this old farmhouse on her own with just help to do the beds each day. No TV no breakfast as such, basic stuff but with the charm of an old rickety farmhouse. Just help yourself to whatever she had in the larder/fridge, it was great but very different.

I’ve drove 100’s of miles single track roads and whether it be on mainland or island I end up seeing little houses or villages in the middle of nowhere and the same though goes through my mind of how life is sustainable in such rural parts.

Recently visited the Isle of Mull for a weekend, Absolutely stunning and a nature watchers dream. Walked 12 miles to find a 30 million year old fossilised tree and two waterfalls, Worth it once you get this view -

AC51603B-93F3-473B-AB8B-47E455DB2864.thumb.jpeg.f90a9ec5267f94046438863a344142d1.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 12:55, ilsonbhoy said:

Fantastic Review and Images. Recently retired love my Superb Estate 4x4. Hoping to do the NC 500 in 2023. Just joined BriSkoda.

Same. I've now got an Octavia Scout so I can explore mountain tracks, as far as I dare. Spent 6 weeks in N Spain Sept last year. I recommend looking at roof tents as a way of stopping off the road and not having the faff of sticking tent pegs in the ground. Also very speed set up and go in the morning.

I used to do lots and lots of winter mountaineering in Scotland so have visited most of the northern parts on NC5oo, but intend to get back up there this early spring.

On 21/01/2023 at 11:08, ilsonbhoy said:

We toured France and Spain in July all the way down to Gibraltar 4448 miles in total over 24 days it was absolutely fantastic

Excellent!

I'm planning the Eastern side of the Adriatic as far south as a ferry to the toe of Italy, then back up through Italy.

At 70 I see my mortality a lot clearer than at 20 or even 60.

Gonna burn the kids inheritance & disappear in a flash.  No fade away!

• 2 weeks later...