Stretching tyres or other options?

Hi all,

I have recently bought some new alloys. No problem with the fitment however tyres will need a slight stretch. 

Current standard alloys on the MK2 facelift VRS are 7.5j and the alloys I have ordered are 8j, I know the tyres can be stretched a touch and 7.5 - 8 is minimal.

However is there a different size tyre I could use instead of stretching the current 225/40/18 tyres that I have that won't look too big and would give me the slight rim protection the current tyres do whilst unstretched?

I am not fully educated on tyre sizes and fitments to certain alloys.

If I went 245/35/18 I would lose some tire height though? Am i gauging that correctly?

Am I really gonna notice if I stay on the 225/40/18 with a slight stretch from 7.5 to 8? If not I may as well just do that, if I am losing a different aspect by getting ew tyres like height it probably isn't worth it?

Overall diameter of tyre is smaller by 1.2% which is negligible. It all depends on which tyre you choose and how important the rim protection is to you. The wider tyre might have some different driving characteristics and there's the insurance aspect to consider. 

• Thanks 1

Appreciate the replies!

Rim protection is kind of important but if it is barely noticeable and 7.5j to 8j will still give a little rim protection then it could work for me. I just want to make sure I have the best tyre fit I can for the alloys. I don't want to be having to change any tyre specs on insurance ideally either.

13 minutes ago, andyoctavia said:

Personally, I would always fit the tyre to the rim as indicated and not try to "push" it - from an insurance and saftey point of view.

That is what I am trying to acheive and checking on all alloy/tire sites it is saying the 225/40/18 I already have are the best fit for 8j alloys so I guess I will just have them taken off the current alloys and put on to the new ones :)

I think the simplest solution would be to try your existing tyres and see how they fit, as fitting costs are only a small part of the overall. 235 40's are 1.2% bigger diameter. My understanding is that with bigger tyres you lose acceleration but gain max speed. I don't think anyone would easily notice 1.2% though!

• Thanks 1

Thank you, yeah I am gonna get the original tyres swapped to the new alloys and have a look. I have seen pictures of people who have done the same and you cannot really see a difference in 0.25" either side of the alloy :)

Thanks everyone!

rim width range for a 225/40r18 is 7.5" to 9".  If anything it will be a more appropriate fitment.

You'll also get a 235/40r18 or 245/40r18 on there without speedometer error issues or scraping (assuming you aren't running ET35 offset or super-low springs).

• Like 1

On 11/08/2018 at 17:58, Longship said:

225 or 235 are the best fit for an 8j. 215 and 245 are the min/max. 

My daily driver (not a Skoda) has 7j wheels with 265 tyres! :blink:

You need to take into account rim diameter and sidewall profile / height.

Thank you everyone, you have put my mind at ease!

Hopefully the new alloys will be here in the next few days, I can ceramic coat them and then look to get them fitted to the car. I will keep you updated!

I ve got 235/40 18 on 8J alloys, they look perfect , just enough rim protection .. I’ll take a pic if you want. To see how it looks like. Let me know

Edited by vrsdx57

22 hours ago, vrsdx57 said:

I ve got 235/40 18 on 8J alloys, they look perfect , just enough rim protection .. I’ll take a pic if you want. To see how it looks like. Let me know

Yes please if you don't mind :)

On 12/08/2018 at 03:50, HarleQuinn said:

Thank you.

So any benefit by getting brand new 235/40/18 tyres over having the current  tyres stretched 0.5 of an inch?

There will be 2 benefits: first your alloy will be better protected because the tyre will sit a couple of mm outwards, second 235 has the wall a few mm higher (tyre wall height is percentage from it’s width),  can’t remember how much exactly without the tyre calculator, but it will contribute a bit to ride comfort; if it matters to you. PS 225 should not be stretched on 8j it will probably sit at the same level with alloy..

Edited by vrsdx57
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

Yes please if you don't mind :)

235/40-18 on 8j pics

As you can see there’s 2-3mm of tyre over the alloy; you should be  alright with 225 also, probably levelled. 

59ECB8B3-0F35-4F07-AD94-B0DEDDEC5EF7.jpeg

3C55333A-E0B0-4038-A09E-E898DB85DF6D.jpeg

13 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

Thank you for the pics!

That looks alright. What I might do is have these 225s stretched and then when new tyres are needed just get a set of 235 put on :)

Why do you keep saying stretched?  The manufacturers recommended rim width for a 225/40r18 is between 7.5" and 9".  8" is not stretched

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

Why do you keep saying stretched?  The manufacturers recommended rim width for a 225/40r18 is between 7.5" and 9".  8" is not stretched

The term is stuck in my head I guess as that is how it was explained to me! It's good to know they will fit correctly :)