Water inside footwell

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

Are you certain it's not coming from the door carrier seal? Telltale clue is water on the horizontal bit of the door orifice seal after rainfall.

Picture of a rear one:

20180721_120909.jpg

I can feel the water on the footwell wall, up behind the glovebox. 

Will pop a pic up in a minute.

Easiest way to clear it is probably to remove nearside front wheel, and wheel arch liner, then hook out any debris from the exit point of the drain.

This is the (rectangular slot) drain from inside the 'waterbox', the big bunch of loom cables in the foreground goes down to the engine bay, ECU and other stuff.

20180714_165532.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wino said:

Easiest way to clear it is probably to remove nearside front wheel, and wheel arch liner, then hook out any debris from the exit point of the drain.

This is the (rectangular slot) drain from inside the 'waterbox', the big bunch of loom cables in the foreground goes down to the engine bay, ECU and other stuff.

20180714_165532.jpg

Thanks. Ill have a look into it tomorrow if its dry. Would have doneit tonight but currently having floods of rain

2 hours ago, Wino said:

20180714_165532.jpg

Btw is this picture taken looking up from the wheel arch? 

And does clearing the rectangle hole not just push it back under the scuttle panel? 

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

No. Looking down into/along scuttle.

Thats the route im hoping to take, just found an old thread showing how to take it all apart. Just a bit concerned about removing the wiper motor, can it be accessed without removing that? 

Also need to pre order the 3 little clips that hold the panel on.

This one should help you orientate yourself.

Reason I suggest going from outside is that the wipers have to come off to get the top of the scuttle off, and they can be a right bugger, scarily corroded onto their spindles and hard to remove even with a wiper puller tool. Wheel arch liner is just a load of T25 torx screws. Edit, If you do go from above/inside, there's no need to remove wiper motor, that's at t'other end. This view is with front of scuttle also off, but you probably don't need to do that.

20180714_171120.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Wiper motor is actually a piece of cake to remove, if you ever need to. Two easily accessible screws, one electrical connection. Will try to find a pic...

20180714_174251.jpg

Edited by Wino

Yeah, the 3 'Christmas tree' clips just stop the front edge flapping about, you can manage without them quite happily in the short term. 

If you do decide to go in this way, make sure you have a wiper puller that can fit on the wiper arms, and I'd advise just slicing the tops off those three clips with a sharp blade under their heads rather than trying to pull them out.  Also, the rear edge, that seems to slot into the bottom edge of the windscreen, at first glance, doesn't really. There's a downward facing lip on the scuttle lid that fits into a slot on that bit that goes onto the windscreen.  Start at the end and pull the scuttle lid upwards, at right angles to the windscreen. The lip will peel out of the slot, leaving the part still attached to the windscreen, you can just about make it out in the picture above showing the wiper mechanism screws.

I'm still fairly sure that if you just want to clear the drain, wheel arch access and hook out the debris is going to be easier.

Not sure if it will help any but on a drain tube on a different vehicle, I used a thin nylon tool that electricians use, to pull wiring. kind of cable, with a metal bit they connect the wire to, in order to pull it back though conduit, etc. It is very thin, very tough and may help push any sheltie through and clear a pathway for the water.

I can't think for the life of me what it is called, unless its just a cable puller!

If the metal tip is a bit thick, just cut it off with pliers.

Just discovered a photo from a while ago that I'd forgotten I had.  Looks very much like the outside of the drain, viewed from the wheel arch.

Drain hole from outside.jpg

And from slightly further away:

Scuttle drain left.jpg

Edited by Wino

21 hours ago, Wino said:

Just discovered a photo from a while ago that I'd forgotten I had.  Looks very much like the outside of the drain, viewed from the wheel arch.

Drain hole from outside.jpg

And from slightly further away:

Scuttle drain left.jpg

So dont have to remove the arch just the wheel then?

No, that's with the arch liner removed (during a clutch change, I think). Look at your car!

You may be able to get there with only removing the screws from the rear half of it and bending it out of the way though.

• Like 1