Rear strut top mounts being difficult

Superfi

Just replacing the rear sus arms and I cannot for the life of me get the strut top mount off the old arm! The bolt came off fine, but the mount is stuck solid. Anyone come across this and what's best to do? Getting new mounts is a very last resort due to finances and er..lack of transport to get them! TIA.

Hi mate not sure what you mean, to remove the shock absorber from the arm it should be one bolt at the bottom then the two bolts at the top on the mount to remove the shock Absorber. You shouldn’t have to remove the mount from the shock absorber to change the rear arm? Or do you mean you are changing the shock absorber and can’t get the old mount off the top once the shock absorber is off the car because it’s spinning? I think when I changed mine I just gripped it in a vice to stop it turning using a towel so I didn’t mark it. Should come off easily.

Sit the thing at the edge of a bench with the piston of the shock against the edge. Hold the bit on the bench tight and **** the threaded top of the shock with a hammer.

If you have a vice, even better, just hang the shock through loose jaws and hit as above.

5 minutes ago, SyVRS said:

Hi mate not sure what you mean, to remove the shock absorber from the arm it should be one bolt at the bottom then the two bolts at the top on the mount to remove the shock Absorber. You shouldn’t have to remove the mount from the shock absorber to change the rear arm? Or do you mean you are changing the shock absorber and can’t get the old mount off the top once the shock absorber is off the car because it’s spinning? I think when I changed mine I just gripped it in a vice to stop it turning using a towel so I didn’t mark it. Should come off easily.

I'm changing the shock arm and once you remove those 3 bolts and take the arm out, the top mount needs to be removed and refitted to the new arm. I've taken the nut off the very top and it should just pull off but it's not even spinning! Can't find anything online about this problem so assuming it's not usually a problem, just my luck!

I've been smacking it with a hammer, had it in the vice with moles on the end of the arm but it's just seized tight to it. Pretty narked with it as I'm not lacking in strength for this sort of job! Left it sitting upright with the top soaked in WD40, will see if it gives in the morn. Mate says it will come off eventually, so will persevere tomorrow, and tackle the nearside too lol. Cheers guys :thumbup:

Liking the body colour TMB :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

The missus's is also that colour. Arguably the main reason she picked a Fabia...:D

You can't beat a red car, best colour for photographs ;) :inlove:

Top mount just wouldn’t shift, so mate picked up a new one this morning for me, and took the grinder to the old one to salvage the bump stop and sleeve. Sorted - and what a difference!! 

• Like 1

Problem here might have been, damper lasting too long, bump stop lasting too long coupled with plenty road salt being thrown up into that area?

• Thanks 1

I'd have stuck new bump stops on as they tend to rot away causing the plastic damper rod sleeve to fall down. I do understand you're doing it on a tight budget though.

• Thanks 1

On 13/08/2018 at 20:22, rum4mo said:

Problem here might have been, damper lasting too long, bump stop lasting too long coupled with plenty road salt being thrown up into that area?

Quite possibly, that’s it on 182,600 mls so they’ve done ok :) will replace stops at some point. Baffling thing is it was the offside!?!

i've found that new suspension bits on offside had rusted over the the few winter months they were in and i think it was purely down to being parked most of the time with the offside facing traffic driving past. car was not even driven the whole time. Nearside was almost entirely fine.

I think the traffic driving on the wet salty roads just kicked up salty spray

Edited by corndog
  • Like 1