Spaceback / Amundsen satnav issue - constant turn offs on motorway

Hopefully this won't sound too confusing, but I have an issue with the ECE 2018/2019 map update on my 2016 Spaceback.

Basically, on longer journeys, it seems to like getting me to turn off at junctions on the motorway, take the slip road up, and then back down the other side to re-join.

Now, admittedly, I have been caught out by this little "feature" a few times. Mostly because the kids have been making noise in the back and I've not noticed until I'm stuck on the turn off, in traffic, for 10 mins. 10 mins that could have been avoided had I check the map and seen that it wanted me to do a "quick" up and down manoeuvre.  

So now, I always remain zoomed out a bit further, and I double check when I'm told to take the next left.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

It's happened a number of times on the M27 leading up through Southampton, and I think it's caught me out before on the A24 leading up to Leatherhead before also.

Cheers,

Just to add to the fund of knowledge - or mystification - I get this too with my Amundsen (still on the original maps) but just at one junction only - north-bound on the A321, every time it wants me to take the slip to Farnborough. Has never happened anywhere else.

Was out with the family on Wednesday, and as luck would have it - it happened again on the way home - both times on the M27 within 10 mins of each other.

Manged to get my other half to snap some photos of the display.

As you can see, it wants us to take the junction, and carry directly over, and re-join.

IMG-20180823-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180823-WA0011.jpg

16 hours ago, Skeddy said:

Was out with the family on Wednesday, and as luck would have it - it happened again on the way home - both times on the M27 within 10 mins of each other.

Managed to get my other half to snap some photos of the display.

As you can see, it wants us to take the junction, and carry directly over, and re-join.

I know that section of M27 well (I used to work in Portsmouth and live in Southampton).

Do you have active routing enabled? If so, it's very possible that the TMC data being transmitted via RDS is showing that the M27 is congested enough (at 17:46 that's more than likely based on my commutes!) for it to be quicker to go off and back on at the junction.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still getting used to my new Skoda and couldn't beleive the sat nav routed me to leave and rejoin the A12 southbound at every junction from Colchester to the A130 turnoff I needed. As I knew the route and was only using the system to see how it performed, I've lost confidence in using it.

It’s not just Skoda that suffers from this ‘feature’.

Had a couple of Beemers with last generation iDrive, a Volvo with Sensus and Merc with COMAND, and they all did this from time to time; I think @SWBoy is probably on the right track with why they do it.

@Zeni, if you knew the route, it doesn’t really matter, and you shouldn’t lose confidence in the system...it’s seems pretty good to me compared to the other systems I’ve used...and just remember, they aren’t perfect, and we should all use a bit of common sense and judgment when using them  :)

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick, I'll be using it but zoomed out a little so I can see any false prompts. had a couple of good journeys using Waze on Android Auto listening to Spotify so pleanty of options to navigate. Re-routed me so managed to avoid a huge taliback on the A12 this evening 

• Like 1

You're welcome Zeni :smile:

Yep, sounds like a good idea. I personally like the auto zoom feature, but doing a 250+ mile journey to Stockport, SouthPort, Crosby & Manchester today, I've manually zoomed it a few times, just to make sure I was on the right track!

I'm an iPhone user, so looking forward to trying Waze & Google Maps when they become CarPlay compatible - it's nice to have options, and I gave Apple Maps through CarPlay a go the other day, which I followed blindly, and it took us on weird route we'd never have chosen to a known destination, but it did avoid all traffic...

Have you connected your car to your phone's hotspot? I discovered this feature a few weeks ago, and while it's a bit of a faff connecting every time you start the car (Apple issue I think!), I like the way it appears to overlay the Googlemaps-style traffic colours over the Skoda maps, and gives much more up to date warnings on traffic and road works than standard TMC.

Hope that helps,

Nick