Maxidot and Columbus behaviour

I couldn’t find the answer to this else where, apologies if it is.

skoda superb mk2 elegance with Columbus and maxi dot. The other day I turned the car on, drove off and noticed I couldn’t turn the Columbus on. It normally automatically turns on. I noticed that the maxidot had fewer options. I pulled over and turned the car off and on. It all came back on and I thought was back to normal. 

This morning I noticed all the windows were slightly ajar. I went into the maxi dot as I had turned this off under convenience previously, but there is no convenience any more and lots of the settings have disappeared. 

Any ideas? 

Low battery? The maxi dot and Columbus are of course linked (if you turn off the Columbus while the car is running, you'll lose the Nav, Audio and Phone options as well on the maxidot) ... but regarding the convenience and other settings, I'm not sure you can lose them just as easily (you could, if some coding was done with the diagnostics)

• Like 2

I agree it is very odd. Even with a flat battery (we don't), I wouldn't expect it to forget a few settings. All the other bits such as pairing of devices, remotes etc is intact. I did note that the columbus asked me for a country when I used the nav on it recently. But absolutely no other issues. 

It could be that either the instrument panel or the Columbus unit is faulty at some level. One thing you could do to reset them is unhook the battery leads and leave the car for few hours. This will drain all current from the electrical system and force the modules to reset. You won't lose stored settings or data but it will flush out any transient data that could be causing weirdness.

After that, you'd have to look at getting a diagnostic scan on the instruments and nav unit to see if any faults have been logged.

It's also worth noting that the electronic systems in the Superb don't play well with even a low (not flat) battery, so if the battery is old it would be a good idea to change it. Lifespan of a battery in the Superb is about 5 years.

• Like 1