Great fun car ...but

vRSAnt

This car is really great fun, having had chance to drive it as the wifes car.

Better than her previous HTP and way better than the MPI ages before it, despite tiny engine..

So why the hell can't they turbo it like the UP ? Would make for one hell of a car :D

Seems to be same engine 1.0 3 cylinder not sure what else different in engine spec wise other than tuning ? Would make for a one perky little car lol.

Obviously the one off "citigo go" tdi car / ex Richard car is pretty much out the realm for many but a teeny weeny turbo upgrade for a car that already shares with VW ? I think I'd want to drive my vRS less often and borrow the wifes more lol

What's wrong with MPI?

If you want more why not buy TSI up! then? It's "one hell of a car" I can tell you. That's what I bought and I like a lot! 

Not a lot, just saying would make it even better if they matched the TSI on citigo.

Don't see why it can't be an option, also can't imagine it would be that hard to even retrofit, seeing as its already very much based on the same car / engine?
Turbo itself is somethig like 04C145702P, and would have also intercooler and connecting pipework as well as related mapping ( although could prove expensive getting that stuff new lol)

One reason why not is the TSI is about £3500 more expensive than car I just bought my wife lol
Just impressed what they managed to do with the Citigo-go but even a modest performance package would make this car even more fun so not so sluggish off roundabouts etc, I like small cars like this.

Interesting post
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/27-up-gti/8700-tungsten-silver-5.html

https://www.noelshack.com/2018-10-2-1520352286-turbo-tsi85.jpg

At the front, powering the front wheels, is a turbocharged three-cylinder engine that displaces 999cc. Itââ""š¬Ã¢""ž¢s essentially the same engine found in the TSI-powered Up, but boost has been upped and an intercooler added. The changes take power from 87bhp to 113bhp, and torque from 118lb ft to 147lb ft.

[. For the Up GTI, squeezing another 25 horsepower out of the tiny EA211 turbocharged three-banger was no easy feat, say the engineers. This is the first VW engine to be certified according to the most recent, ultra-challenging European emissions standards. The hardware is almost identical to the 89-hp version, although the pistons have been modified, fuel-injection pressure is increased, and the turbocharger features a different geometry.

TSI is direct injection and MPI is not. So there is more than just a turbo. Compression ratio might be different too. 

And I guess it's VW group politics that they don't allow TSI engine for Citigo. They couldn't sell up! otherwise. 

Edited by Emil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emil said:

And I guess it's VW group politics that they don't allow TSI engine for Citigo. They couldn't sell up! otherwise. 

^^^ This is the real reason I think - a turbo Citigo would kill the Up sales and we can't have that, can we?

I'm one example myself. I bought up! TSI because I couldn't get Citigo TSI. That's the only thing why I traded my Citigo to up!. 

But I like TSI up! a lot. B)

• Like 1