Wheel and tyre question

Marchincus

the offset question is complicated by the wider rim. 

Sorry to differ from what has been said previously but my thoughts are:

Wider rim must put the tyre closer to the centre of the car and thus the suspension upright.  Lower offset (say from 45 to 43) moves the tyre away from the centre of the car and thus the suspension upright. anyone would need to do this calculation to work out the true effect.

tom

On 01/10/2018 at 17:52, Karoqer130 said:

So my tyres are 215/50/r18 which seems to be smaller than everyone else's here, what size should I get if I want good winter tyres for my 18's?

IMG_20181001_152153.jpg

I have those same size 215/50/R18 tyres on my Karoq SE-L. I decided to get all-season tyres, rather than having separate summer and winter tyres. You can’t currently get Michelin CrossClimate tyres in that size. But I bought Vredestein Quatrac Pro all-season tyres, which came out very well in tests. 

On 12/12/2019 at 21:46, Mark-Surrey said:

I have those same size 215/50/R18 tyres on my Karoq SE-L. I decided to get all-season tyres, rather than having separate summer and winter tyres. You can’t currently get Michelin CrossClimate tyres in that size. But I bought Vredestein Quatrac Pro all-season tyres, which came out very well in tests. 

You can get Michelin CrossClimate tyres in size 215/50R18, but they are very expensive.

Camskill are listing Vredestein Quatrac Pro in size 215/50R18 for less than £100.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m141b0s11739p0/All_Season_-_Four_Season_-_All_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_215_50_18_215_50R18

225/55R17 on 7Jx17 ET45 rims that they use on the 4x4 version would have been my preference. Noticeably better ride, much better tyre choice, and protects the 7J rim better from kerbing damage. The 215/50R18 are a bit stretched on 7J rims, so may not protect the rims from kerbing damage so well.

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

You can get Michelin CrossClimate tyres in size 215/50R18, but they are very expensive.

Last I checked only one online dealer were listing them - even Michelin weren't listing them on their website at that stage ( Michelin have since updated their website ). The weird thing was I contacted Michelin at the end of August asking if they had any plans on cross-climates in that size. Here's the reply I received:

Michelin.JPG.4a5f7a56cfab7970ab23948b2253ace5.JPG

I replaced the tyres on my SEAT SUV with summer tyres again, a few days later I saw X climates advertised at approx £200 a corner. However I now see BlackCircles are also advertising them for: :o    And they've the cheek to say buy 4 and get £40 off.  

Michelin_2.JPG.ab71b52ac435cc5184d7befb48c6bd50.JPG

Edited by Guest

BlackCircles and ATS Euromaster are both Michelin owned.

You can sometimes get your Michelin Tyres like CrossClimate from BlackCircles and delivered to ATS for fitting at a lower price than ATS Euromaster will quote / charge and sometimes ATS Euromaster are charging less than BlackCircles.