Wheel and tyre question

Marchincus

Hi all,  I have an Edition 1.5 with 19" wheels  and I'm thinking of getting a set of 17" Triton wheels and winter tyres; is this ok to do without having to have anything adjusted and do I need the 215 or 225 tyres (I've not got a 4x4).

Secondly, how does the drive feel of the car vary between 17" and 19" tyres assuming the similar type tyres - does it have more roll at 17" and less steering grip or not so you would notice? Also are the tyres quieter although I assume the ride is smoother/more cushioned from pot holes?

I appreciate some of these questions have been answered before in individual ways but I am hoping for some direct comparison and specific advice if possible.

Thanks

Mark

1 hour ago, Marchincus said:

Hi all,  I have an Edition 1.5 with 19" wheels  and I'm thinking of getting a set of 17" Triton wheels and winter tyres; is this ok to do without having to have anything adjusted and do I need the 215 or 225 tyres (I've not got a 4x4).

Secondly, how does the drive feel of the car vary between 17" and 19" tyres assuming the similar type tyres - does it have more roll at 17" and less steering grip or not so you would notice? Also are the tyres quieter although I assume the ride is smoother/more cushioned from pot holes?

I appreciate some of these questions have been answered before in individual ways but I am hoping for some direct comparison and specific advice if possible.

Thanks

Mark

What size are the tyres on the 19" wheels?

Open the fuel flap. All of the approved wheel and tyre sizes are on the sticker on the inside of the flap.

Once you've tried 17's and seen the improvement you might never put the 19's back on!

Smaller wheels have a larger tyre sidewall (profile), which offers a softer ride quality, gives the suspension an easier time and provides increased pot hole protection. They're usually narrower too which can improve traction if you spend time offroad, or in snow.

They are often lighter resulting is reduced unsprung weight which can improve fuel efficiency. The tyres are often cheaper to buy too.

The disadvantages are that they don't look as good and the car will roll more around corners, which most people won't notice unless they're looking to break the lap record at the Nurburgring!

• Like 2

Lots will depend on the Tyre Brand / Type being fitted and if you fit XL (reinforced sidewall) tyres there might be no noticeable softer ride with smaller wheels and taller sidewalls.

Then corners / bends at 60 or 70 mph on UK roads are hardly a challenge to the cornering ability if slightly narrower tyres are used, you are only going to be fitting ones the car has Type Approval for.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

The 235/40/19 tyres have a rolling diameter of 671 mm.

Smaller wheels with 235 threads will not fit, as they get too close to the strut. (= bigger width at a smaller diameter)

225/55/17 tyres with 7J-17" wheels will fit and be 683 mm rolling diameter - about 1% larger diameter. Speedo readings will be closer to actual than before.

I changed from 225/45/18  to the 225/55/17 size. They are slightly softer than the 18", but in my experience more harmonious in relation to the vehicle suspension tuning. I felt the 18" were quite harsh and not in tune with the suspension set-up, and suppose the 19" are even more so. I do not feel that cornering has deteriorated with the 17"'ers. My new tyres are also significantly quieter than the original Bridgestone summer tyres. On a recent trip to the mountains in Norway, we did a little off-road and narrow, winding mountain roads as well as driving in heavy rain, and the car performance was very comfortable and predictable. The car is now handling almost as  well as my old Yeti's.

One may or may not like the looks, but the Platinum Grey Triton wheels are the color of brake dust, so look fine straight out of the car wash :)

IMHO, the 19" wheels for the Karoq is purely cosmetic to pander to the current fashion, and does not fit the character of the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

The tyres that are mentioned on my vehicle's registration paper are:

- 245/40 R19 94 W

- 225/45 R19 92 W

- 225/50 R18 95 W

- 225/55 R17 97 V

- 215/60 R16 95 H M+S

So, the tyres for 18" wheels are 225/50, not 225/45 as Agerbundsen mentioned above, at least for my 2.0 TDI!

Taking into account that the R17 and R18 tyres have the same width, I don't see an advantage to change to 17 for winter, unless winter 225/50/R18 tyres simply don't exist. I don't think that a winter R18 tyre costs more than a R17 wheel plus the tyre.

Edited by Gabi4

7 hours ago, Gabi4 said:

Taking into account that the R17 and R18 tyres have the same width, I don't see an advantage to change to 17 for winter, unless winter 225/50/R18 tyres simply don't exist. I don't think that a winter R18 tyre costs more than a R17 wheel plus the tyre.

They did not exist as of three months ago - They may be available now.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

The tyres on my Karoq 2.0TDi style 4x4 are currently Bridgestone Turanza T0001 225/50 R18 95W summer tyres on Mytikas 7jx18 Wheels. Thinking of getting some replacement tyres for front tyres now/shortly before required (currenly 5mm @17k kms so hopefully wont require for a while :)) and maybe avail of  any promos on some premium brands.  I find the motorway noise on the stock tyres very loud and notice a bit of roll on some cornering.   Based on below It looks like below 225/55 R17 tyres would be suitable to change out to if wanted to go to 17in over stock 18in  - is this correct? Maybe a silly Q. - if changing is it recommended/required to change all 4 tyres to 17in or acceptable to have say front 17in and rear 18in (until they need replacement at later date as wearing a bit less)?

Looking at goodyear eagle F1 AS3 or michelin cross climate or similar for good tyre wear and road performance

Karoq tyres size calc.png

Rotate front to back first to get longer life.

Change all 4 at one time.

I am very happy with the Michelin CropssClimates - much quieter than the original Bridgestones. There is quite a difference in stiffness between the recommended "comfort" pressure of 2.4 bar and the "Eco" pressure of 2.7 bar.

10 hours ago, Gabi4 said:

I just ordered 4 x Continental, WinterContact TS 850P, 225/50 R18 99V XL. Pretty expensive, at 150£ each, but still cheaper than buying 17" wheels plus tyres.

So, you intend to switch the tyres summer/winter on the same wheels?

Not a DIY project, so switching expenses twice per year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I want to switch them on the same wheels. 

I had separate wheels on the other car, but together with the tyres they were heavy, so it was no fun to carry them and also to take care of the nuts to not loose some.

On 01/10/2018 at 23:52, Karoqer130 said:

So my tyres are 215/50/r18 which seems to be smaller than everyone else's here, what size should I get if I want good winter tyres for my 18's?

IMG_20181001_152153.jpg

Might be worth checking that your car has actually been delivered with the correct size of tyres.

Numbers quoted above clearly do not include your size.  Check in the handbook and fuel flap.

If wrong, tell dealer to replace with correct size.

If correct, then surely any replacement Winter tyres would be the very same size.

Those of us who change wheel diameters go through all the checks using either a tape measure or a site like willtheyfit.com to search out wheel / tyre combinations that result in a rolling diameter close to the original to ensure the speedo is showing something close to the OEM arrangement.

In this house, one car gets 17” winter wheels in place of OEM 16” wheels while the other is getting 17” winter wheels in place of OEM 19” wheels. You’ll guess the winter tyres are very different.

Edited by BoxerBoy

10 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

Might be worth checking that your car has actually been delivered with the correct size of tyres.

Numbers quoted above clearly do not include your size.  Check in the handbook and fuel flap.

If wrong, tell dealer to replace with correct size.

If correct, then surely any replacement Winter tyres would be the very same size.

Those of us who change wheel diameters go through all the checks using either a tape measure or a site like willtheyfit.com to search out wheel / tyre combinations that result in a rolling diameter close to the original to ensure the speedo is showing something close to the OEM arrangement.

In this house, one car gets 17” winter wheels in place of OEM 16” wheels while the other is getting 17” winter wheels in place of OEM 19” wheels. You’ll guess the winter tyres are very different.

So I've just gone out to my car and this is all the info on the fuel flap and it's left me more puzzled, what should I do now? Is the standard tyre a 225/50/r18 or is it my 215/50/r18 my car was built and waiting in Germany when my dealer located it so does that affect anything? 

IMG_20181003_210534.jpg

21st century brochures are more interested in how sexy the dash can look - resembling a pc screen instead of a driving tool.

So they don’t fill the back pages with every number associated with the car spec.

A quick dig into wheels suggests a possible simple answer.

215/50 x18 is for a 2 wheel drive while

225/50 x18 is for 4x4

Strange but possibly true.

EA58AB56-5F51-4033-B743-A3FCDDBEFC8C.png

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

215/50 x18 is for a 2 wheel drive while

225/50 x18 is for 4x4

Strange but possibly true.

This is correct.

As of three months ago, winter or all season tyres in those dimensions were not available. It may have changed now that winter is approaching.

215 or 225/55-17 will both fit with less than 1% difference in rolling diameter, but need new wheels.

• Thanks 1