Main dealer delivery charge

RickW

My local Skoda dealer charges £500 for delivery on a new car.

Firstly,is this the going rate with all Skoda dealers?

Secondly,why does it cost so much?

If you look at the latest Octavia brochure, the RRP for the 1.0 TSI 115PS Hatch is £17,000 and the recommended OTR price is £17,800.

The brochure says the OTR price includes include delivery, 12 months Road Fund Licence and DVLA First Registration Fee. 12 months FRL is listed as £145, DVLA first registration fee is £55, so the 'Recommended' delivery charge is £600, possibly £500 + VAT.

IIRC the delivery charge covers getting the car to the dealer from the factory.

So OTR includes the delivery charge.

I've been on the configurator building my new Fabia and just wondered. 

I think that in the whole scheme of thing the delivery charges should be hidden or suppressed as due to the way the motor industry operates, you can't buy a new motor vehicle without paying the delivery charges, maybe it had some relevance when car tax was added but not so much now.

Bottom line is who wants to order a car only to be told that you will now have to leg it to somewhere else in the world to collect it, or pay "us" to do that for you - or even buy a stocked car to be told the cost to bring it here now needs paying.

Is this just another of these "one off" payments that can be stripped off the price you pay if you trade the car back in a month's time?

Edited by rum4mo

No Manufacturer is delivering cars free to Retail Dealerships.

There is always a cost someway down the line, and the HMRC getting a cut, so that is the UK Tax Payers.

It is interesting when a dealership give you the total breakdown of the cars costs in error.

I get that when signing a Motability Finance Agreement form, and what is a £32,000 car has just been purchased by Motability Outright for £24,500 is revealing.

But then the manufacturers help with the discount & the UK Government assists Motability Finance with a Tax Break,  they are a Charity that pays the CEO Hundreds of thousands of pounds.  The Customer pays a lot in their weekly benefit to lease a car for 3 years that then goes to BCA to be sold to go into the Motor Trade.

So in a nutshell,my configurator cost for a new Fabia with all the extras I want is what I'll pay because it's the OTR.  Nothing else can be added financially?

Just short of £20,000 minus £1750 Skoda contribution. 

5 hours ago, RickW said:

So in a nutshell,my configurator cost for a new Fabia with all the extras I want is what I'll pay because it's the OTR.  Nothing else can be added financially?

Just short of £20,000 minus £1750 Skoda contribution. 

Wow 20k for a fabia never thought I’d see the day 

probably much more car available elsewhere at that price point 

one of the reasons I now run a brand new Mazda 

Edited by malcster
  • Like 2

Maybe worth thinking about. 

That's with all the bells and whistles including the pano roof.

Edited by RickW

TBH, I had the blinkers on for the last 11 years and stuck with VAG because they are a pretty good car, no doubt about that. But when you start looking around at other brands, it's an eye opener, everything has changed so much in the last few years. Other brands haven't just caught up with VAG....but are way ahead in so many ways.  I'll say no more. I don't want to sway you from your course Rick. If you get an SEL, you'll love it. Let us know how you get on. And the delivery charge on my Citroen was about the same as for the Fabia and it's built into the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I test drove a lot of marques before plumping for a Mazda 

For comparison my Mazda has as STD

Led headlights

Rear camera 

Privacy glass 

Alcantara and leather seats 

Heated seats 

Lane departure 

Blind spot assiat when moving forward and also when reversing 

Head up display 

Windows all round with fronts with one touch 

Keyless entry and start 

Folding mirrors 

All for a lot less than. The equivalent fabia 

Shame really as I liked the vag brand and my last 4 cars have been Skoda but it just felt the brand was moving away from what it was a decent equipped for a sensible price  to something it can never become due to the vw masters it will always play 2nd fiddle to the polo in terms of equipment 

Edited by malcster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, malcster said:

Led headlights

Rear camera 

Privacy glass 

Heated seats 

Lane departure 

Head up display 

Keyless entry and start 

Folding mirrors 

Shame really as I liked the vag brand and my last 4 cars have been Skoda but it just felt the brand was moving away from what it was a decent equipped for a sensible price  to something it can never become due to the vw masters it will always play 2nd fiddle to the polo in terms of equipment 

Which model is it?

Mazda 2 

Boot slightly smaller than the fabia but overall in my opinion much more car for the money

Trust me...shop around... test drive a few different cars you will soon see how overpriced Skoda really is 

I test drove

Citroen ç3 

Renault kadjar

Peugeot 2008 

Nissan Micra and pulsar

We went back to the Mazda as the car ticked all the right boxes for us anyway 

Edited by malcster
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, malcster said:

We went back to the Mazda as the car ticked all the right boxes for us anyway 

Skoda pricing here in Australia is still very competitive as they continue to establish themselves in our market and the features of their design currently suit my requirements. I am pretty mercenary though and would change to another brand if they fulfilled my needs at a better price.

Mazda are one of the most popular brands here especially when the fact they do not sell to the fleet market is taken into consideration.

Not sold on the current Mazda 2 range but I always kicked myself for not buying an earlier version of the Mazda 2 which embodies a lot of the Skoda design elements and practicality I like.

Mazda 2.png

I'm not buying from them,it's just a quote from a Skoda dealer. I'm in a process of hunting around for the best deal with the extras I want.

On 13 September 2018 at 17:30, RickW said:

I'm not buying from them,it's just a quote from a Skoda dealer. I'm in a process of hunting around for the best deal with the extras I want.

Carwow is a very good starting point.

On 11/09/2018 at 19:44, malcster said:

Led headlights

Rear camera 

Privacy glass 

Heated seats 

Lane departure 

Head up display 

Keyless entry and start 

Folding mirrors 

That's good spec.

Even my C3 has as main features (excluding loads of stuff I can't remember):

16" alloys with 205/55 tyres

Cruise & Speed limiter

Speedlimit recognition

Climate control

Electric windows all round (ONE TOUCH!)

Automatic lights & Wiper functions

Fog lights

Coming home/Welcome lights

7" infotainment screen with one of the best sound systems I've ever seen & heard and voted runner up to the Bose system in the new Micra (best system in any UK car)

Android Auto/IOS

Led drl's front and rear

Front built in Dash cam with it's own wifi hotspot and gps

Rear camera

Lane departure warning

Driver fatigue warning

Power mirrors (heated and folding)

Full size spare wheel (standard)

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Leather pack for steering/gear lever etc

Alarm/immobiliser

Rear Privacy glass

And a load of other technical stuff you need the manual for...

Mine is the C3 Flair which is the equivalent to the SEL, but without SAT NAV which I don't need as I use my phone and is in the next model up (the Flair NAV). All for less money than the Skoda Fabia, and the C3 is bigger and more powerful too!

It just makes you think a bit when you start to look around with the blinker off. I had them on for 11 years, now thankfully gone!

• Like 2

On 13/09/2018 at 16:48, RickW said:

Spoke to a dealership today and £600 delivery charge on top of OTR price plus road tax as well.

Assuming your location is current, might suggest your local dealer is Simpsons.

Avoid like the plague would be my advice.

The bulk of their business comes from flogging PCH (lease) deals. Sell with little profit margins, but make money on the volume rebates and the finance incentives from Skoda UK and Skoda Finance. Stack em' high, sell em' cheap.

Most of their customers aren't from the area within which they operate, therefore they don't care much for customer service, less so for after-sales, after all they're unlikely to get your car back for its servicing requirements.

Their business methods also make it more likely that the customers will want the car delivered, so the £600 fee is a nice little earner for them. The delivery charge baked into the OTR price gets the car to the dealer. They are free to charge what they want to get it from their forecourt to your driveway.

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

I'm a researcher by nature and study everything,not making knee jerk decisions hopefully.

Maths were never my strong point but with a bit of effort and some challenging questions it's fairly easy to see which dealers are trying to rip me off.

My quest for the right price goes on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Estate Man said:

That's good spec.

Even my C3 has as main features (excluding loads of stuff I can't remember):

16" alloys with 205/55 tyres

Cruise & Speed limiter

Speedlimit recognition

Climate control

Electric windows all round (ONE TOUCH!)

Automatic lights & Wiper functions

Fog lights

Coming home/Welcome lights

7" infotainment screen with one of the best sound systems I've ever seen & heard and voted runner up to the Bose system in the new Micra (best system in any UK car)

Android Auto/IOS

Led drl's front and rear

Front built in Dash cam with it's own wifi hotspot and gps

Rear camera

Lane departure warning

Driver fatigue warning

Power mirrors (heated and folding)

Full size spare wheel (standard)

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Leather pack for steering/gear lever etc

Alarm/immobiliser

Rear Privacy glass

And a load of other technical stuff you need the manual for...

Mine is the C3 Flair which is the equivalent to the SEL, but without SAT NAV which I don't need as I use my phone and is in the next model up (the Flair NAV). All for less money than the Skoda Fabia, and the C3 is bigger and more powerful too!

It just makes you think a bit when you start to look around with the blinker off. I had them on for 11 years, now thankfully gone!

The look of the car means a lot to me as well as being reliable and economical.

The Fabia still stands out a a great looking car that suits my needs.

I understand what you're saying but when I take the blinkers off there's nothing I see that I like as much which is within my price range.

I haven't quite closed the door on other makes and models but my Fabia has been a great car for me up to now and I feel like sticking with it.