Stage 1 remap

Hello everyone, 

looking for some advice - just had a stage 1 remap done on my 2011 petrol VRS, but needed to replace a couple of coil packs. Been told I should upgrade to R8 Red Top upgraded coil packs but when I search on eBay the prices vary a fair bit! 

So, R8 coil packs - yes or no? 

Had a stage one remap put on my motor late last year. Bought 4 Bosch coil packs from Euro Car Parts just before the remap and they have been working great ever since. Lots of opinions on whether the R8 coil packs are any better than standard ones. In my humble opinion from all that I have read, they just look pretty when you have the engine cover off, which I don't.

10 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Had a stage one remap put on my motor late last year. Bought 4 Bosch coil packs from Euro Car Parts just before the remap and they have been working great ever since. Lots of opinions on whether the R8 coil packs are any better than standard ones. In my humble opinion from all that I have read, they just look pretty when you have the engine cover off, which I don't.

I guess coil packs are coil packs but with that said I bought a set of R8 coil packs off awesome gti so hopefully they’ll do the trick!

Is there anything I should keep an eye on considering the extra power? 

At the same time as the new coil packs, I fitted a new set of spark plugs. Every standard part on the car should handle a stage one no problem, even the standard clutch. I just fitted new coils and plugs before my remap because if they are not quite up to scratch, the increase in power will cause them to break down. I did however have a small problem once my map was put on, which the VAG expert who did the Shark map had never come across before. It started to hold back at 6k revs when hard on the throttle. They had the injectors done, new fuel filter, checked the 2 fuel pumps etc. Even gave the inlet manifold a good clean when it was off. Just could not identify the high rev misfire. In the end he detuned the map by around 5 bhp. Now it still goes very well, you just have to change up a gear quick when you get to 6k revs, otherwise it cuts down on the boost. Don't think I will ever get to the bottom of this small problem.   

I got my stage 1 done at R Tech Performance - they know an *awful* lot about the 2.0 tfsi and tsi engines. And I mean an awful lot. There is a lot of information on the below link about tuning. As well as what has been mentioned above I would recommend checking/replacing the HPFP, diverter valve and PCV valve and making sure the are in good nick and the latest revisions.

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/2-0-tfsi-tuning/

Edit: Just thought, 2011 engine code won't be on that list but the information on there might be useful

Edited by JAOrton

21 minutes ago, JAOrton said:

I got my stage 1 done at R Tech Performance - they know an *awful* lot about the 2.0 tfsi and tsi engines. And I mean an awful lot. There is a lot of information on the below link about tuning. As well as what has been mentioned above I would recommend checking/replacing the HPFP, diverter valve and PCV valve and making sure the are in good nick and the latest revisions.

Edit: Just thought, 2011 engine code won't be on that list but the information on there might be useful

Brilliant! Thanks for this.

When the guy mentioned cam followers he didn’t say fuel pump so I assumed camshaft!

Gents, my sister is doing a charity fund raiser for SAMH on the 6th October - would be very grateful if you would consider sponsoring her.

The challenge is to do 4,200 steps at Murrayfield, Edinburgh by walking up and down through the terraces! (Sounds like hard work) 

I’ll defo consider getting it done, should be to expensive for labour though eh 

13 minutes ago, JAOrton said:

They did change the high pressure valve with a new one, but it was still the same.  So they stuck the old one back on again. They also had the pcv valve off when I was there, but could see no damage to it. Not sure about the diverter valve though, although I seem to remember reading that my car has the latest one on there, rather than the earlier ones than caused some problems. I have just learned to live with very slight less power. I call mine not a stage one remap, but a stage 9 tenths power increase.   

16 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I have just learned to live with very slight less power. I call mine not a stage one remap, but a stage 9 tenths power increase.   

May as well round it up to one ;)

What power did your map give?

24 minutes ago, HamishP said:

I’ll defo consider getting it done, should be to expensive for labour though eh 

Maybe half an hour? I'm going to change mine soon and it doesn't look too difficult

4 minutes ago, JAOrton said:

Maybe half an hour? I'm going to change mine soon and it doesn't look too difficult

That’s good to know! 

I’ll play on my mates good nature and see if he’ll do it for me - couple of beers and a curry should do it! 

I just get a little tense when folk tell I need to change stuff lol

2 hours ago, JAOrton said:

I think at the moment I should be getting 240-245bhp. They stated without that slight fault, it would have been running 250bhp. It's not been on a rolling road to know for certain, I just know it goes a lot better than standard. Wish we had got to the bottom of the high reving misfire though. It is strange, as when they first remapped the car, on the first few runs up the road it was perfect. Then it suddenly started to hold back at 6k revs. Knocking off some boost at that revs was the only thing that sorted it. They had it in the garage for 2 weeks trying to find out the problem. I know for certain the garage lost money working on my car, as when he tried  something that did not work, he did not charge me for it.  

The remap guy said it should be about 252 bhp but without it being on a rolling road can’t be sure...

ive not properly opened it up yet, going to wait till I fit new coil packs and plugs then see what 252 bhp feels like! 

57 minutes ago, HamishP said:

The remap guy said it should be about 252 bhp but without it being on a rolling road can’t be sure...

ive not properly opened it up yet, going to wait till I fit new coil packs and plugs then see what 252 bhp feels like! 

It feels great, trouble is, after a few months on stage one, you soon get used to the extra power and want a bit more.  I would get a stage two stuck on it, but with this strange high rev misfire when on added boost, can't really do it. Still love the car mind.

10 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

It feels great, trouble is, after a few months on stage one, you soon get used to the extra power and want a bit more.  I would get a stage two stuck on it, but with this strange high rev misfire when on added boost, can't really do it. Still love the car mind.

I’ll enjoy the stage 1 for a while - stage 2 sounds expensive lol

When I bought my vRS it already had a stage 1 map on it. I could tell there was more power there as it was very sudden and a bit uncomfortable. When I took it in to "get a stage 1" (although it already had one), R-Tech worked their own magic and got the power up to 252. Not a massive gain but the delivery was a lot better than before and power is now consistent and smooth, all the way up to 7k rpm

Tempted by a stage 2 but want to update some hardware first. Had stage 1 for about 18 months now and very happy with it!

The power delivery seems very consistent but with that said i've not taken it above 5k revs yet, going to fit the new coil packs and plugs first!

However, at about 2.5k revs it seems a little "coughy" if that makes sense - as if the power is there but isn't sure what it wants to do with it lol 

So I went back to skoda to confirm what they said, it does have an HPFP but the part number being quoted  on lots of info online, 06D109309C, doesn’t appear on the engine parts list for the car.

completely confused lol 

Apparently the cam follower was modified after 2008 because of the issues...