kick-down on DSG in eco mode not doing quite what you would expect

dave_knight

Has anybody with a DSG box noticed the following "feature" of eco mode ....

Driving along a road going downhill, lift off the accelerator, both clutches disengage and the engine return to idle

The road comes up to a sweeping T junction and you notice that the gap is big enough, but you need to accelerate quite hard as you have lost speed and need to merge with moving traffic.

Push the accelerate down hard to the kick-down position expecting the DSG box to re-engage, select the right gear and off you go

What actually happened was that the DSG box seemed to get a little confused, the engine revs rose quickly to 3000+ rpm (so like revving in neutral) before the box then finally selected E3 and off we went!

Not a random issue as I managed to re-produce it a few miles later by lifting off and kicking down again, engine revs again peaked at 3000+ rpm before the box re-selected a gear.

Apart from this "feature" the DSG in the 1.6TDI is a dream to drive :)

Anybody else experienced this?

• dave_knight changed the title to kick-down on DSG in eco mode not doing quite what you would expect

You've just discovered the World According to ECO Mode.

Enjoy.

Many of us have binned it.

Some can even find better consumption in Sport.

Personally I flip between Normal & Sport all day long. With a bit of Manual and Flip/ Flap too.

On 14/09/2018 at 20:53, dave_knight said:

Driving along a road going downhill, lift off the accelerator, both clutches disengage and the engine return to idle

Thats coasting mode. Next time before using kick down tap the brake which will re engage engine braking on the downhill.

:-)

Tapping the brake is exactly they same a your toe going on the accelerator so if someone is behind you why touch the brake pedal and flash a brake light, 

just do not use Eco Mode if not suitable for the situation.  Coasting is great and if the engine has any power and a kick down is not enough try a double kick down, 

on a manual shift.

DSG's are great, but enough power / torque is still rather important with the engine fitted to.

On 14/09/2018 at 21:53, dave_knight said:

The road comes up to a sweeping T junction and you notice that the gap is big enough, but you need to accelerate quite hard as you have lost speed and need to merge with moving traffic.

Push the accelerate down hard to the kick-down position expecting the DSG box to re-engage, select the right gear and off you go

What actually happened was that the DSG box seemed to get a little confused, the engine revs rose quickly to 3000+ rpm (so like revving in neutral) before the box then finally selected E3 and off we went!

Not a random issue as I managed to re-produce it a few miles later by lifting off and kicking down again, engine revs again peaked at 3000+ rpm before the box re-selected a gear.

Apart from this "feature" the DSG in the 1.6TDI is a dream to drive :)

Anybody else experienced this?

You just need a little finesse - not directly a hard stomp on either accelerator or brake.

When coasting in Eco mode, you just have to touch either brake or accelerator, and the DSG engages immediately. Wait a 1/10 of a second and you can then stomp all you like and the gears behave normally.

If you don't have the 1/10 second, maybe you should react earlier or not be in Eco.

I haven't tried what happens when you use the paddles in Eco, but assume it will shift up or down relative to where it was and get out of coasting.

Off course, with the 2.0 TDI there is enough torque almost anywhere, so shifting is rarely necessary. :D

On 16/09/2018 at 10:50, hwr1983 said:

engine braking on the downhill.

One of the few annoyances I have with the DSG, going downhill and the box changes down and starts revving the engine unnecessarily when I'm not even trying to slow down !!

13 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

One of the few annoyances I have with the DSG, going downhill and the box changes down and starts revving the engine unnecessarily when I'm not even trying to slow down !!

The DSG only ever changes down when going downhill if you touch the brake pedal. 

^^^ Not correct for all DSG. 

So what are you talking about.  on a 1.0 or 1.5 TSI and a DQ200, or a 2.0tsi, or 1.6 or 2.0 TDI.

because some DSG do change down when descending hills.

That can happen by touching the accelerator so that you have control by traction with tyres and surface, 

but then they are not Automatics, just Automated Manuals so no reason to not change down gears when needing to control the speed and not use the brakes.

eg, on winter, or wet or loose surface roads, gravel or just sanded or gritted maybe, or resurfaced.

Edited by Offski