Prestone top-up

1 minute ago, Tech1e said:

Has that been tested?

No, I used to have residual pressure in the header tank overnight and a loss of coolant, so I had it sniffer tested a month ago and then had the head gasket done last week and I think I've still got the above. It's had nothing else done, thanks.

12 minutes ago, Tomjones1995 said:

No, I used to have residual pressure in the header tank overnight and a loss of coolant, so I had it sniffer tested a month ago and then had the head gasket done last week and I think I've still got the above. It's had nothing else done, thanks.

Id bypass the EGR cooler coolant hoses and see if that resolves the issue.

5 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

No, just disconnect the coolant hoses from the cooler and connect them together. Then top coolant back up to the correct level and test.

I wouldn't know where to start on doing that to be honest and none of these garages listen to me.

5 minutes ago, Tomjones1995 said:

I wouldn't know where to start on doing that to be honest and none of these garages listen to me.

Thats what needs doing though. Change the head gasket as many times as you like, if the EGR cooler is leaking internally (very common) its still going to pressurise and loose coolant.

1 hour ago, Tech1e said:

Thats what needs doing though. Change the head gasket as many times as you like, if the EGR cooler is leaking internally (very common) its still going to pressurise and loose coolant.

Are you saying then that it may of just been the egr cooler in the first place and not HGF?

10 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Certainly a possibility. 

Would I still of had combustion gasses in the coolant with just a failed egr cooler then? Surely if the HG was fine the cylinder head wouldn't of needed skimming would it?

Thanks for the info

Edited by Tomjones1995

3 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

No, was the head tested for flatness before skimming?

I don't know to be honest. I can try and find out tomorrow. All they said was that the engineering shop had gas tested it and skimmed it about 4-5thou because that's what it needed. No mention of testing for flatness or pressure testing etc which concerns me greatly

Edited by Tomjones1995

Just now, Tomjones1995 said:

I don't know to be honest. I can try and find out tomorrow. All they said was that the engineering shop had gas tested it and skimmed it about 4-5thou because that's what it needed. Whether or not that was the case remains to be seen.

Seeing as you still have the issue then I’d probably say not. 

1 minute ago, Tech1e said:

Seeing as you still have the issue then I’d probably say not. 

Regardless of checking for flatness though. If it was skimmed it would be flat now though? The HG, cylinder head or block wouldn't be the problem at this stage surely?

Just now, Tech1e said:

I very much doubt it. 

Okay, so I'm looking at perhaps either the egr cooler leaking or maybe the block being eroded considering that hadn't been checked?

Just now, Tech1e said:

I’d start there. 

I would have done done that before the HG. 

Yeah I would have if id of known that could be a possible cause. Is there a way of me checking the egr myself without bypassing it? I will bypass it if I have to but would rather check it another way if possible

12 minutes ago, Tomjones1995 said:

Yeah I would have if id of known that could be a possible cause. Is there a way of me checking the egr myself without bypassing it? I will bypass it if I have to but would rather check it another way if possible

Remove it and pressure test. 

3 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Remove it and pressure test. 

Okay, for both of those methods I would probably have to take it back to the garage then. Il let them know what you said and hopefully they'l do it.

Thanks for all your help

Just out of curiosity. Where exactly is the egr cooler in the system? Do I just disconnect the egr cooler from the coolant pipes and connect them together? Do I leave the egr valve connected? How long do I leave the egr cooler disconnected for? If it's easy to do, I may do it myself

I think the EGR cooler is wrapped around the metal hose that connects the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the EGR valve. Access may not be great. 

Sorry I didn't think of this possibility earlier, forgot that BLTs have this extra bit.

11 minutes ago, Wino said:

I think the EGR cooler is wrapped around the metal hose that connects the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the EGR valve. Access may not be great. 

Sorry I didn't think of this possibility earlier, forgot that BLTs have this extra bit.

Yeah I think I can see it stuffed down just below the egr valve. Don't worry about forgetting, we all make mistakes. It may still be HG issues anyway at this stage. Do you think it's an easy job to bypass the egr cooler? Easy enough for a novice such as myself?

Thanks