Oil Service

patrolman

Just had the oil service required in 1400 miles warning pop up. The vehicle has done 8050 miles and i was wondering do i use this as one of my free services or do i just pay for the oil and filer and wait for the main service? I am leaning towards just paying for the oil and filter service, has anyone elses oil service come up yet?

So the Dealership changed the Variable Service that your car was on from the factory to Fixed Servicing, 9,400 miles / 372 days.

Did you ask them to?

If you never asked them then you need to get it serviced, they are taking the pith though, 2 free services, one Minor & one Major.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

How many miles a year do you do?

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

So the Dealership changed the Variable Service that your car was on from the factory to Fixed Servicing, 9,400 miles / 372 days.

Did you ask them to?

If you never asked them then you need to get it serviced, they are taking the pith though, 2 free services, one Minor & one Major.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

How many miles a year do you do?

Pretty sure it is variable as I remember asking them several times if it was and we do we do about 10 to 14'000 a year in the main car.

Pretty sure it is not, you posted what it says.  Tell them to do this one free for being chancers.

How many days does it say until the service because when it was changed they put it to 9,400 miles / 372 days which ever comes first.

post-86161-0-63865800-1459249072.jpg

Edited by Offski

Fraud is luckily illegal and conspiring to defraud is also a crime luckily in the UK.

Always put a mark on that filter, not that anyone would risk their job and getting a hard kick in the gooleys.

EDIT

Variable Flexible servicing was what your car came with and long life oil and a fitter or technician changed it to fixed at the PDI.

So the 'Sensors' for oil condition was discussed in another section last week, 

thing is your Karoq is on Fixed Servicing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455376-oil-service-really-required/?page=2

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 19:22, patrolman said:

Isnt the interval determined by oil quality not milage now?

Well it’s both really. Flexed servicing is of course based on a fixed distance or time. For variable, there is a theoretical maximum distance and time (2 years) and that max distance is reduced according to how the car is used. Obviously lots of short and urban  journeys decreases the max available distance compared to long motorway journeys. Oil quality is not measured directly, it is calculated according to the usage pattern and with the presumption that long life oil has been used. Setting the oil quality (normal or long life) with a computer is what determines whether the fixed or variable servicing regime is used.

24 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well it’s both really. Flexed servicing is of course based on a fixed distance or time. For variable, there is a theoretical maximum distance and time (2 years) and that max distance is reduced according to how the car is used. Obviously lots of short and urban  journeys decreases the max available distance compared to long motorway journeys. Oil quality is not measured directly, it is calculated according to the usage pattern and with the presumption that long life oil has been used. Setting the oil quality (normal or long life) with a computer is what determines whether the fixed or variable servicing regime is used.

I’m Awere that the calculation is done via an algerritham and there is no oil quality sensor as such , I was concerned that it had come on early when I was led to believe it was on a veritable plan 

Update having spoken to my dealer they didn’t PDI the vehicle it was done by the original dealer  I new the vehicle was from group stock I bought it this way as I didn’t want to wait for a long delivery and the only thing I compromised on was the colour,

My dealer has agreed to an oil and filter and will re set to variable servicing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

Perfect outcome.  Is that them doing it free?

Remember the Dealer Review section, praise where praise is due.

Yes they were very helpful , I’ve delt with them for a few years and had several vehicles of them so all sorted 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

?

Have you had it from new and collected it with delivery miles and how it was set at the PDI?

It sounds quite usual and annoying.   Its because of the horlicks that Skoda & dealership staff have when setting service intervals.

So you want the car serviced and set to Fixed / Annual Servicing or Variable and not showing Inspection Services and Oil Services. 

Tell them that.

So the cars service for Variable is due 24 months from the PDI, or around 18,000-19,000 if that had been sooner.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Presumably the car hasn't yet had it's first service?

For it to get to 19 months means it is set to the variable service interval.

However 19 months is quite a bit short of the 24 month norm.

Variable is "up to" 20,000 miles or 24 months, so it is possible that the vehicles operating conditions are dictating an earlier than normal oil change.

I got it new on a pch from main dealer. I recently had a low oil level light flash up & topped it up with some of Halfords finest ( mistake??) & since then I've noticed the stop/start not working as usual although I have put this down to the cold weather. 

Could this explain the stop/start issue and/ or the service message?

Read in the owners manual when Stop / Start might not work.

Low Temperature,  Heating setting and outside temperature too much different. Demand on the battery too high, ie everything on , Low Battery etc etc.

?

So what oil was Halford's Finest? 

5w 30 FS III so VW 504/507 i hope.  or VW508/509,   which is 0w 20 FS IV.

22 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Read in the owners manual when Stop / Start might not work.

Low Temperature,  Heating setting and outside temperature too much different. Demand on the battery too high, ie everything on , Low Battery etc etc.

?

So what oil was Halford's Finest? 

5w 30 FS III so VW 504/507 i hope.  or VW508/509,   which is 0w 20 FS IV.

It was 5W/30 so ok I think.

5W30 is the right viscosity, you should just check it meets the VW 507.00 specification (mainly low ash content for use with diesel particulate filters).

The VW 507.00 will be printed on the container somewhere.

Don't worry if it isn't, for topping up it won't have any adverse affect.

If you bought the dedicated "VOLKSWAGEN AUDI" branded container, it will meet the VW 507.00 specification, so all good...

image.png.9b9b00926d6d38f9853a3fed6b756f1d.png

image.png.eb195ea54f3611019b5d91a9ae984cd5.png

On 17/09/2018 at 19:23, Roottootemoot said:

Always put a mark on that filter, not that anyone would risk their job and getting a hard kick in the gooleys.

I know a service/body shop owner who closely examines every thing he changes out on any vehicle and remarks them. For example if someone stealthily marks a filter trying to catch him out he will copy the mark back onto the new filter, bag the old one with the car owners "secret" markings still on it and stash it away in the boot. When the customer enevitably phones up to complain he directs them to their used filter hidden in the boot spare wheel well, his answer is if you don't trust me I don't want your business. Another was an accident damage car that require a front wing replacced, the cars owner was very clear he wanted a new wing not a repaired/filled one. So the owner went and letter stamped markings on the seams. Body shop guy re-stamped the markings onto the new parts and retained the old front wing with the owners personalized markings still on. When the car owner came back to complain body shop guy hand the car owner his old wing back and politely asked him to remove himself from the garage property. So cutting a long story short, marking up filters isn't always fool proof as some garages are wise to that trick. 

I was in a Kwikfit waiting room when a 'fast foot fitter was put on his backside after doing a Winter Service offer on someones nieces car and thought he could get away with just having the car on the ramp, making it look like he was changing the oil and drain plug, and the oil filter, & doing an inspection, brakes, steering, suspension, exhaust, but only wiping the oil filter clean and putting some oil marks on it.

Cheeky barsteward and the manager had nothing to say about it as there were 3 witnesses.

That was to the Winter service not the Fitter slipping and banging his head.

Before i was an apprentice mechanic i knew all the dodges, and have seen them all over 40 years from Kerb Side Auto places to the Biggest Dealership Network in Scotland and the biggest family owned in Europe at the time to the Multinational Tyre & Exhaust centres like those bought from Sir Tom Farmer..

Someone paid to do a job might be offended by someone distrusting them, but it hurts less than a punch in the face, 

or a kick in the crotch.

Peoples lives depend on supposedly professionals doing a job correctly and safely.

If more were prosecuted & maybe even jailed for their life threatening actions that are fraud they would think more about lubrication and getting soap on a rope when their is visiting time.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

If a garage owner, working in an industry full of dishonesty and distrust went to the effort of remarking and restamping parts just to **** off his customers, then him asking me to take my business elsewhere would be welcome.

He wouldn't need to threaten me either, I'd happily put my money into the pockets of his competitors, especially if they were spending time servicing my car instead of messing around stamping panels.

• Like 1

^^^What competitors would they be? Only other agency in the area is Ford and pretty much everyone who has a Ford travels the 2 hours to Inverness to avoid using them. His next nearest other rivals are again 2 hours away in Inverness or Dingwall. So he can afford to pick and chose his customers... I'm not particularly sticking up for him as the motor trade in general has a very bad image (I was only throwing that in here as @Roottootemoot had mentioned marking filters). Anyway, going totally OT now. I can relate to why he does it, working in the engineering trade my self in a m/c shop there is nothing worse than customers/clients who don't know their backside from their elbow picking fault with a good quality job because they think they know better but don't understand what's involved. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

^^^What competitors would they be?

I've no idea, you didn't say where this 'agency' is based.

It won't be long before he gets a competitor if he's in the habit of telling paying customers that he doesn't want their business and / or asking them to remove themselves from his property.

His customers wouldn't be picking faults with the guys work if he wasn't putting so much effort into being a smart arse.

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

5W30 is the right viscosity, you should just check it meets the VW 507.00 specification (mainly low ash content for use with diesel particulate filters).

The VW 507.00 will be printed on the container somewhere.

Don't worry if it isn't, for topping up it won't have any adverse affect.

If you bought the dedicated "VOLKSWAGEN AUDI" branded container, it will meet the VW 507.00 specification, so all good...

image.png.9b9b00926d6d38f9853a3fed6b756f1d.png

image.png.eb195ea54f3611019b5d91a9ae984cd5.png

Yeah that's the one thanks.

• Like 1