Awful Sound

Zeanie

Hi All,

OK, so 2 days ago I started to hear an sound coming from under the car. I got out expecting to see something stuck but could not see anything. So I continued the journey home with this sound happening interminantly. The next day I start up the car and the Exhaust Emission light comes on. So turned off and rang the main dealer for an appointment.

So today I get the call to say all fixed. I get the bus out to the dealer. They tell me the Exhaust Emission light was indicating a fault with the throttle body, so they stripped it down and replaced the seals and clean the crud etc.

They tell me they could not hear any sounds during the test diagnostic drive and also after the throttle fix test drive. So I just hoped it was all linked.

I get in the car and pulled off the forecourt and immediately there is the sound but was a bit louder. I thought if it's still there then how come the mechanic did not hear it during 2 test drives. Never mind, it was to late to go back to the dealer so I found some quiet roads and just did various things to see if I could diagnose the issue my self.

So to describe the sound, think of a metal bucket. Now with one hand hold a screwdriver and run it round the inside of the bucket slowly, about 1 revolution per second. the odd occasion it sounds like you have dropped the screwdriver into the bucket.

It is intermittent and last for approx 2 to 3 seconds on average. I have included a short mp3 of the sound.

The sound is coming from the front left somewhere.

Sometimes it is louder, other time not as loud.

It happens on the straight between 20-50mph or when going round a corner at approx 20mph.

It sounds like something is rotating but not at the speed of revolutions of the road wheel.

It's not a grumbling sound ie wheel bearings etc

It does not make a noise when stationery or when turning the steering wheel (ie power steering pump)

It does not make a noise if I rocket the yeti or push down on each corner.

What equipment is on the front left that rotates?

squeak.mp3

Funnily enough (well not really funny) I had a similar sound when away in the TT last weekend. My thoughts were that it was a stone stuck by the disc. The noise happened when turning right or on the straight when the road was bumpy.

Surprised that the dealer didn't check that out as is not uncommon.

When I had a similar issue with mine I found the brake shield was rubbing on the disc itself. A quick ‘tweak’ by hand and it never happened again.

I have had the front nearside wheel off and had a look and could not see any stone or anything else. Then I tried to rotate the wheel and I could hear the pad grinding on the disc. There  is plenty of pad still there, so I gave a it all a tap with a hammer to see if it would reseat itself but the noise was then really loud when rotating the wheel. So I believe the pad must be touching the edge of the disc. So tomorrow when the shops reopen I shall pop out and get a new set of pads and fit them.

thanks all for taking the time to help me.

• Like 1

FWIW  The AA angel diagnosed a sticky guide when I found a hot wheel on a previous car (out in the wilds, but at least the sun was shining).  A little bit of TLC allowed the pad to back off properly and I had no further trouble with that.  The noise had been rather similar. 

A little update.

After buying a new set of pads I then replaced both front sets. However the intermittent touching/grinding is still happening and sounds awful still. So I am going to have to get it back up and wheel off to try and see what is catching or why it's doing it intermittently. It's obviously touching the the outer edge of the disc.

I need a bit more advice but I shall open another thread as it's about the 4 wheel drive.

Thanks for the replies.

I had a good long session trying to identify the issue and I traced it to a small stone. It was not trapped between the shield and disc but was actually stuck in one of the vents of the disc, so every time the disc rotated the stone would catch the caliper.

• Like 2

Nice find - one of those chance-in-a-million things.  It's always very satisfying when you finally solve these ones!