quick post about some handling upgrades i have done recently with my petrol vRS

ARB kit - big thanks to damian@DPMperformance - H&R 26MM FRONT & 24MM REAR ANTI ROLL BAR ARB kit - brilliant upgrade with respect to handling - much more planted with rapid changes in direction like roundabouts - it's great fun!

Strutbrace - bought off ebay - bit of a nightmare to fit - highly recommend finding someone who knows what they are doing (i.e. not me) who has a couple of trolley jacks, spring compressors and patience. Don't try it on your own as the suspension shifts out of line from the turret screwholes and you are into a world of pain! subtle handling difference with much less chatter around corners which have uneven tarmac.

Michelin PS4 tyres - just do it - they are great, especially in the wet

Hunter 4 wheel alignment - expensive but fixed toe angle (not sure if  it was too much -in or -out) that was outside normal limits - local porsche independent garage with kit and know-how)

the above have totally transformed the handling of the car especially at speed where before it had felt very vague and floaty

powerflex engine mount - i'm still undecided on this - it was cheap to buy but more expensive to fit (subframe needed off). car has much more NVH  at startup than before but less wheelhop although i've not provoked it too much yet in the wet - unsure if less wheelhop is because of the new michelins - i'll give it a couple of months

boomba racing short shift kit and gearknob (golf mk7 section of their website)  - fitted the shortshift kit first and noticed an improvement, only fitted shorter gearknob a few weeks ago and WOW the combination is much better than either upgrade on their own. only downside is the boot gaiter keeps pulling off when i change from 5-6th in anger - i will fix this soon

of all the upgrades the ARB kit is probably the most noticeable and i would highly recommend it

hope this helps - sort the handling before sorting the power ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, encephalopathy said:

sorry there isn't too much to see - strutbrace is hidden by the plenum cover, i've no ramps for photo'ing the arb kit and i think i have posted the shortshift gearknob already

No worries. Have you the ebay link for the strut brace? Handling is top on the list of things to sort.

strut brace

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-STRUT-BRACE/173263992834?hash=item285756b802:g:E2sAAOSw5cJawf90

couldn't work out corresponding corrida red  paint code from the paint codes he uses for powdercoating so got it in black - it's not visible anyways  so not a big deal. fitting was tricky and needed a friend to save me when the suspension shifted out of alignment from the turret holes. ill try and get pic posted tomorrow. i was able to do it without removing the wiper arms (as i couldn't get them off) by removing the rubber bead from the plenum cover and a few clips and just bending the cover upwards

the brace provides a subtle improvement, the ARB kit is much more tangible with respect to handling

Edited by encephalopathy
  • Thanks 1

The arb's and the strut brace makes a massive difference to car. Also running ps4s but I've done the Audi tts alloy subframe and alloy wishbones swap saved about 6kgs. Plus the powerflex insert.

All in my build thread here

Edited by Ant-Vrs

I've fitted the same strut brace and it was pretty simple to fit on my own. Remove the rubber strip, remove clips, unscrew the strut top bolts, then lift the rain tray up enough to fit the brace into the gap and tighten it all up. Made a noticeable difference with the stock suspension still in - great bang for buck upgrade and easy install. 

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing!  Upgraded ARBs are on my wish list so it's good to hear that they make a difference.

19 hours ago, encephalopathy said:

fitting was tricky and needed a friend to save me when the suspension shifted out of alignment from the turret holes. 

Was the front of the car in the air when you were fitting the strut brace by any chance?  If not I can't see how a loaded strut could drop down and move when it's under load.

wheels were on level ground. when i removed the 3 bolts on either side from the suspension turret the suspension underneath shifted very slightly and screw holes no longer lined up. when i jacked up the car then the whole wheel spring and shock fell sideways :( I need a spring compressor and another set of hands to line it all up and secure it.

2018-09-26 15.50.25.jpg

2018-09-26 15.50.38.jpg

• Like 1