Jay's Octavia vRS Estate

jaygemson

Sounds like you’ve got some serious plans mate. 

Be good to hear the progress on your motor with those mods. 

I’m thinking of a remap for my new 245. 

It feels nippy but somewhat on a lead at the minute. I want to take that lead off. 

No more 4WD for you then :biggrin:

I'll follow this thread with interest as I like to see what people do in terms of mods.

I've also had a look at your S4 thread - nice looking car you had there.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, EddGee said:

Sounds like you’ve got some serious plans mate. 

Be good to hear the progress on your motor with those mods. 

I’m thinking of a remap for my new 245. 

It feels nippy but somewhat on a lead at the minute. I want to take that lead off. 

No more 4WD for you then :biggrin:

Yes indeed, 4WD is going to be sorely missed.  In an ideal world I wanted a Pre-FL 230 for the VAQ 'diff' but the only ones for sale when I was looking were the other side of the country, and generally £3-4k more than the car I ended up with which was hard to justify.

My tuning plans are a little way off yet, but I'm keen to see what MRC Tuning will be able to achieve.  They're huge in the Audi and VW world and do big things with Golf GTIs and 7Rs.  My car still has the remainder of the manufacturers warranty until December so it makes sense to wait until then to modify the ECU.  Until then I'll focus on collecting (and fitting) the hardware necessary for stage 2.

1 hour ago, skinnyman said:

I'll follow this thread with interest as I like to see what people do in terms of mods.

I've also had a look at your S4 thread - nice looking car you had there.  :thumbup:

Cheers for taking the time to check out my S4 build thread.  I took that car a long way and loved it to bits.  I'll definitely be applying the experience I've gained from tuning it to the Octavia - can't wait to get cracking!

16 hours ago, jaygemson said:
Plans include:
  • Rieger splitter and diffuser
  • Remus or Scorpion exhaust system
  • Eibach springs

Plans look and sound great - I do have a soft spot for Meteor Grey ;) - but could only find my one in Moon White.

I've been and done all 3 of these on mine, so if you've got any queries, feel free to DM. I've also gone Stage 1 w/ Shark Remap (remote) as of a few months ago, and difference is noticeable and excellent. Alternative 19's are on my mind too, but likely a much later purchase as tyres and brake upgrades are up first and expensive :)

Best of luck, will be sure to follow!

A

On 10/05/2018 at 17:02, jaygemson said:
Plans include:
  • Rieger splitter and diffuser
  • Remus or Scorpion exhaust system
  • Eibach springs

Fixed that for you B) 

Sorry Ads230 :giggle: :thumbup:

EDIT: But on a serious note, I personally was in the same boat last year, choosing between Remus & Scorpion, definitely the best 2 out there to pick from (my opinion) there are a few others to consider but I think these are definitely the better 2 to decide between.

Edited by BATVANVRS

4 hours ago, jaygemson said:

Fight, fight, fight!  :giggle:

I'd love to hear them both before I make my choice.  Exhausts are a big decision, especially considering the cost of the Remus system.  Finding local (willing) owners is the challenge!

I'm not really local based from you but London based so if ever your'e this neck of the woods or if ever I'm your'e neck of the woods (never know a little car meet or car show somewhere) B) 

On 17/05/2018 at 17:10, BATVANVRS said:

Fixed that for you B) 

Sorry Ads230 :giggle: :thumbup:

EDIT: But on a serious note, I personally was in the same boat last year, choosing between Remus & Scorpion, definitely the best 2 out there to pick from (my opinion) there are a few others to consider but I think these are definitely the better 2 to decide between.

He's at it again! :p haha.. I had a chat with Batman about the Remus system and had one fitted myself... One of the best sounding systems I've ever heard- especially on a Skoda :D

• Haha 1

On 18/05/2018 at 17:13, BATVANVRS said:

I'm not really local based from you but London based so if ever your'e this neck of the woods or if ever I'm your'e neck of the woods (never know a little car meet or car show somewhere) B) 

That's awesome, cheers for the offer!

On 19/05/2018 at 12:13, Baillie said:

One of the best sounding systems I've ever heard- especially on a Skoda :D

Wow, that's high praise indeed.  Shame you're so far away, would love to hear it!

• Like 1

First update!  Just some housekeeping tasks so far.  Felt good to get the car in the air, take the wheels off and have a good look around it though.

Took the opportunity to clean up the brakes.  The red calipers were in good nick so they only needed a spruce up, but the discs were horribly rusty so I used a wire brush to get rid of the corrosion, hit them with brake cleaner and then painted them with Hammerite satin black.  Also replaced the corroded centre caps with some genuine Skoda vRS items (part number 5JA601151A).

Here's how it all looked before:

IMG_1575.thumb.jpg.242c416630e977546b1c815394639986.jpg

IMG_1578.thumb.jpg.614adb8aa905f52244ba6f4f5bf3a0fa.jpg

IMG_1577.thumb.jpg.b7b8c93175fae8fdb64318b90d74fc89.jpg

During:

IMG_1582.thumb.jpg.996eca7241303c3a458da0c7fb807218.jpg

And after:

IMG_1589.thumb.jpg.f36414b7d4446e8c76f2b56c4c762b20.jpg

Amazing how much difference little jobs like that can make - the devil is in the detail :devil:

After that I fitted the RGM rear bumper protector (ordered from here):

IMG_1592.thumb.jpg.231c69d469106730da44199a1167611a.jpg

Fits like a glove and gives me some peace of mind when loading/unloading the boot.  I even think it looks pretty good against the Meteor Grey too :thumbup:

• Like 3

Few more bits from the first update.

Looks like the exhaust tips had never been cleaned, so I got the AutoGlym out and brought them up to scratch.

Before (masked up to prevent staining on the diffuser trim):

IMG_1591.thumb.jpg.43b47ac1e44d4c482374eeb319c2621f.jpg

After:

IMG_1593.thumb.jpg.8974926a61fbf47e7e02902ba3e0f376.jpg

Then finally gave the bootlid a partial de-badge to clean up the rear-end:

IMG_1595.thumb.jpg.f0b4106a85f97800a702162e0d5c1826.jpg

• Like 3

I agree that it's the small details that can sometimes make a big difference.  The rear of the car looks so much better now and after seeing what you've done with the discs, it makes me want to get cracking on a few little jobs on my car.:thumbup:

10 hours ago, skinnyman said:

The rear of the car looks so much better now and after seeing what you've done with the discs, it makes me want to get cracking on a few little jobs on my car.:thumbup:

Cheers, and glad to have inspired you!  Get out there and enjoy the lovely weather at the same time :thumbup:  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, creamvRS said:

Looks great! Nice plans too!!

I'm at Shark Performance next week to go from a stock map on my 220 (pushing 242hp) to stage 2 and beyond 300 somewhere :D

Cheers @creamvRS :thumbup:

Heard good things about Shark.  I had some work done on my S4 by a chap who used to work there (branched out to create his own racing team/workshop) and he rated their remapping service highly.  MRC are mighty on the Audi/VW scene though, and they do great things with the TSI engine, but I may still get in touch with Shark for a chat/estimate.

Could you list the hardware changes you've gone for to get to stage 2 please?  There's so much choice in terms of intakes, turbo elbows, muffler deletes and exhausts - it's mind boggling!

Enjoy next week though - should be a huge difference going from stock to stage 2 :biggrin:  Make sure to share the results!

@jaygemson

Yeah I cannot wait for the gains!

So far I've purchased new/used VW R600 induction kit which is the full box and filter, racing line hose, racing line elbow and racing line turbo muffler delete - Suction noise is wicked

Exhaust I'm a bit frankenstein - Had smaller back boxes put on which made no difference, then had a mid res delete which gave the noise to the exhaust. Then I've purchased a 3" milltek downpipe with 200cell sport cat (used off a Golf GTI) but I still have stock Y joint which I really should change.

I've also upgraded to like £120 NGK racing spark plugs in prep for stage 2.

DSG too so is quick already but I know Stage 1 and beyond just transforms it.

I booked my map session with Shark off a charity day and they were doing discounts so it was £325 :)

I wanna slay some Golf R boys :D

Thought about Skodafest this Sunday?

That's perfect, thanks @creamvRS.  MRC recommend the R600 intake but suggest the Turbo Technics intake pipe and don't bother with the muffler.  Tempted to go for the full VWR kit as you have - it's quality kit with OEM looks, and they'll fetch good money when the time comes to sell up.  Hard to come by second hand at the moment though!

5 hours ago, creamvRS said:

Thought about Skodafest this Sunday?

Yeah, I really want to attend a meet but we're away this weekend - at a toddler festival :o  Don't ask!

4 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Twins...

I've also painted my hubs and spacers, but Meteor Grey :)

You went with the totally bare look :D  Quite like that actually.

Love the idea of Meteor Grey hubs.  Any pics?!

Edited by jaygemson

10 minutes ago, jaygemson said:

That's perfect, thanks @creamvRS.  MRC recommend the R600 intake but suggest the Turbo Technics intake pipe and don't bother with the muffler.  Tempted to go for the full VWR kit as you have - it's quality kit with OEM looks, and they'll fetch good money when the time comes to sell up.  Hard to come by second hand at the moment though!

Yeah, I really want to attend a meet but we're away this weekend - at a toddler festival :o  Don't ask!

I shopped round FB marketplace and ebay - Got the hose in blue brand new from Awesome gti for £90 posted next day. R600 was £220 ish, elbow was ebay used £75 and muffler delete (which is wicked and makes a wicked woosh when letting off acceleration) £65 off FB.

Join FB groups like MQB owners club, TSI tuning, TSI parts for sale, golf r uk owners etc

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, creamvRS said:

I shopped round FB marketplace and ebay - Got the hose in blue brand new from Awesome gti for £90 posted next day. R600 was £220 ish, elbow was ebay used £75 and muffler delete (which is wicked and makes a wicked woosh when letting off acceleration) £65 off FB.

Join FB groups like MQB owners club, TSI tuning, TSI parts for sale, golf r uk owners etc

Good work, and excellent suggestions!  Will do :thumbup: