Autoglym treatment yea or nay?

Exiledbaggie

Just ordered our new Karoq and were offered the autoglym treatment with the salesman telling us how new paints are water based and will fade and oxidise in UV rays....  youve all probably been there. TBF his heart wasnt really in it and we were not interested even with the free products that came with it, but,  should we have listened to him? Do normal car wax products not offer the same protection, is modern paint going to run off the car at the first hint of moisture?

I would recommend this treatment as it seems to help keep the car relatively clean even after rain etc and the free kit is a bonus and works well. I got my treatment thrown into the deal though 

Edited by Twen

4 hours ago, bone_tone said:

I did it myself as soon as I got the car home - cost me £18! It does help to keep the paintwork looking like new for longer.

What did you use? There seems to be  loads of different products

15 minutes ago, Exiledbaggie said:

What did you use? There seems to be  loads of different products

I used Autoglym - it goes on very easily, and leaves no residue when buffed. Polish first, and then paint sealant.

• Like 1

There are sooooo many options available to protect your pride and joy, it can be quite overwhelming.

Colinite 915 wax is around £25 for a large tin, it's an absolute doddle to apply and will give you a good 3-4 months between applications (I've had the same tin for 11 years!!!)

Fusso Coat dark/Light is a little cheaper and has a "laboratory" life of 12 months, I applied it in March and decided to top it up again a couple of weeks ago before the weather turned, again very easy to apply.

There are loads of similar products at varying prices that will do the same job but the two above I have personal experience of.

There are also "ceramic" coatings which will give you a harder, longer lasting finish BUT they can be more tricky to apply i.e. two coats 24/48 hours apart but the car must be kept completely dry during that time.... difficult in the UK, especially this time of year unless you have a garage.

There are loads of places that sell these products, I've used Clean Your Car for over 10 years, the products they sell are all decent enough for most people's budgets & ability :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ77 said:

There are sooooo many options available to protect your pride and joy, it can be quite overwhelming.

Colinite 915 wax is around £25 for a large tin, it's an absolute doddle to apply and will give you a good 3-4 months between applications (I've had the same tin for 11 years!!!)

Fusso Coat dark/Light is a little cheaper and has a "laboratory" life of 12 months, I applied it in March and decided to top it up again a couple of weeks ago before the weather turned, again very easy to apply.

There are loads of similar products at varying prices that will do the same job but the two above I have personal experience of.

There are also "ceramic" coatings which will give you a harder, longer lasting finish BUT they can be more tricky to apply i.e. two coats 24/48 hours apart but the car must be kept completely dry during that time.... difficult in the UK, especially this time of year unless you have a garage.

There are loads of places that sell these products, I've used Clean Your Car for over 10 years, the products they sell are all decent enough for most people's budgets & ability :)

Gyeon wet coat gets good reviews spray on wash off job done get about 12 weeks from it

• Like 2

On 27/09/2018 at 19:06, Exiledbaggie said:

Just ordered our new Karoq and were offered the autoglym treatment with the salesman telling us how new paints are water based and will fade and oxidise in UV rays....  youve all probably been there. TBF his heart wasnt really in it and we were not interested even with the free products that came with it, but,  should we have listened to him? Do normal car wax products not offer the same protection, is modern paint going to run off the car at the first hint of moisture?

I personally would opt out of having it applied. The main reason being it will only be as good as the person applying it, and my guess is that it won't be by a professional detailer who takes pride in their work. 

I would spend a little time researching and find a wax that suits your budget.

Once you've made sure your paintwork is clean you can apply the wax to your standards admiring your efforts knowing its been done properly and thoroughly, and almost certainly cheaper!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gaz1985 said:

I personally would opt out of having it applied. The main reason being it will only be as good as the person applying it, and my guess is that it won't be by a professional detailer who takes pride in their work. 

Once you've made sure your paintwork is clean you can apply the wax to your standards admiring your efforts knowing its been done properly and thoroughly, and almost certainly cheaper!

Hope this helps!

Cheers Gaz, it really does

On 29/09/2018 at 22:06, Gaz1985 said:

Hope this helps!

This.

I'm a big fan of the Carlack 'twins', Carlack Nano Systematic Care and Long Life Sealant.  Apply on to clean, decontaminated paint. Allow to cure for a 30 mins and buff off.  Great finish, particularly on mid > light shades and the protection is very good. 

If you have darker shade of paint then a carnauba wax or hybrid product is better IME. 

You can also mix product types and there's a few that compliment each other quite well; Carlack NSC topped off with FinishKare 1000P is good on most paint finishes and will last 4-6 months before you'll need to reapply. 

Literally hundreds of products out there though. 

• Like 1