Replacing 2011 Yeti Elegance drivers heated seat element

burntcrisps2

Good guide :)

I've always removed the negative lead first on a battery, I believe the reasoning is if the tool touches any grounded body work there won't be a dead short across the battery.

For older positive earth vehicles, I'd take the positive off first.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great review cheers, but I should just say to people having done this job quite a few times now, it can be done easily enough without taking the seat out, so no need to disturb the airbag system.

Initially I bought a new element, but since, I've just repaired the element, & the last repair has lasted 4 years. There's 2 things I put this down to.

Firstly, There are 2 different types of element. One is a single strand wire element which is quite thick & snaps partly because it's fairly rigid, & solder repairing wasn't that successful. This maybe an earlier design (my Yeti's early 2012) but the replacement I bought is a braided cable so is more flexible & repairs much more successfully -I've only repaired that one once which as I say is still going strong after 4 years.

Secondly, when you refit the heater mat to the seat base, tuck some of the heater mat down between the base & side bolsters so that when the seat sides flex, the heater mat can also flex instead of stretching & snapping. I also don't fasten the side bolster wings of the element to the seat cushion on refitment to give the element more chance to move if it needs to.

Also good advice as the OP said, kneeling on the seats isn't a good idea, although I have to say all my failures have been around the outside bolster to seat base joint area.

Edited by bargee1759
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread but I am resurrecting it because I have just successfully followed it to replace the driver's side seat heating element in my 2012 Yeti Elegance. It took me most of the day, but I wasn't in a hurry. Well done to the OP for such a comprehensive guide.

The only snag I hit was that it was impossible to free the plastic handle grip from the seat height adjusting lever without risk of it shattering.  I found an alternative:  Remove the rear plastic rivet and front screw from the seat side trim so that it is loose.  Place a spline bit adaptor into the head of the screw holding the seat height lever, and turn the hex body of the adaptor with an open ended spanner to unscrew it.  The lever will come away complete with handle, and can be kept with the side piece as it is removed.

The seat belt stalk has to be removed, and its screw is Loctited in the factory.  I used Loctite when refitting, don't want that one coming loose !

My element had failed in two places in the classic position on the side bolster nearest the door, presumably due to repeated flexing.  In future I must avoid kneeling on this bit to fetch things from in the car ! It was tempting to try a solder repair, but I found that the fitted element (and its identical replacement) were made from a "wire" with about 6 strands of individually enamel insulated wire with an overall plastic insulation.  The total resistance of the new element was about 1 ohm, so each wire will be about 6 ohms. Unless you can scrape the insulation off all 6 cores on both sides of the break, you could easily end up with a "mended" element that only has some of the cores connected and active. This will "work" after a fashion, but won't have the full power of about 200 Watts at 14 Volts.  Since the new heater pad was only about £40 I abandoned the idea of tediously scraping insulation off 24 cores.

So, total cost £40 for the element, £5 for a couple of spline bit adaptors and a few hours work.  Now all ready for a long hot summer !

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 08:56, Mikeonsea said:

Hi,

nice write up on this, one question would it make sense rather than peeling off the old failed heat pad to just stick the new one over the top ?

cheers

I wouldn't recommend it, I think it could alter the way the seat feels to your bottom, and could cause problems down the line if it was stuck to the same position, Whereas the guide suggests leaving some spare in the little foam cracks, where the seat bolster is. 

I plan to do this job tomorrow. I can confirm the Seat element cost £44 from the local Skoda dealer.

I removed all the copper wire from the old seat pad and cut where it overlapped the side bolster, the material is only about 2mm thick so I don’t think your bum will notice, trying to peel the old pad off was a total pain and in places took large chunks of foam out (that had to be glued back in again) 

when I had finished and the new heated pad was installed felt the same as before and same as the passenger one and was very hot,

side note when I removed the seat cover I could see that the element was broken on the offside bolster I could of repaired it but the time taken to get to get that point and the broken finger nails for the cost of the replacement seat pad I didn’t bother!

• 1 year later...

Excellent article, so many thanks. Had to replace my drivers base seat element today. Really well documented process. Two things I found, old element could be easily pulled off with careful use of a Heat gun, without tearing foam.

Did not remove back seat but removed top bolts on either side holding back seat and loosened bottom bolts, this allowed me to lay whole seat out flat and not have to disconnect the two cables connected to the back seat.

• 8 months later...

Hi, Newie here doing his first post.

Excellent initial article by the way. Planning on tackling this job on my recently purchased Yeti. Does anyone know the Torque settings for the seat rails and the seat belt stalk?

Thanks