KESSY Key Protection

Afternoon All.

How do those of you with KESSY Entry protect your keys from a relay theft - looking for recommendations.

I've had a mailer around about this device https://www.carsystems.eu/keyless-protector-electronic-keyfob-protection,id3303.html which looks like an interesting solution though a bit costly if a £20 pouch will provide the same protection.

Thanks.

Paul

17 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

bit costly if a £20 pouch will provide the same protection.

£20???  I think you're overestimating the price of a perfectly adequate solution: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DP4KTZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

£20???  I think you're overestimating the price of a perfectly adequate solution: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DP4KTZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still can't decide if I trust these or not, especially the cheaper ones. The user reviews are often hit and miss and this bit of text isn't exactly conclusive, or independently verified:

• Expertly tested to a 99% success rate

Whilst the key in the pouch might not work in unlocking the car if you're next to it, or inside trying to start the car, it doesn't confirm or demonstrate that it would successfully prevent a relay attack. Yes, the signal may no longer be strong enough for the car's sensors to pick up, but that's what the relay device and amplification is for, to sniff a weak signal, amplify and send it, then drive away in your pride and joy. 

I can lock my spare key in the boot of my Octavia with it stored inside a basic rucksack. Would a basic rucksack also successfully prevent a relay attack? Probably not. Without seeing some independent testing/accreditation - and by testing I mean with proper relay equipment not simply putting the key in the pouch and trying to start the car - then I wouldn't like to place my faith in one.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I still can't decide if I trust these or not, especially the cheaper ones. The user reviews are often hit and miss and this bit of text isn't exactly conclusive, or independently verified:

• Expertly tested to a 99% success rate

Whilst the key in the pouch might not work in unlocking the car if you're next to it, or inside trying to start the car, it doesn't confirm or demonstrate that it would successfully prevent a relay attack. Yes, the signal may no longer be strong enough for the car's sensors to pick up, but that's what the relay device and amplification is for, to sniff a weak signal, amplify and send it, then drive away in your pride and joy. 

I can lock my spare key in the boot of my Octavia with it stored inside a basic rucksack. Would a basic rucksack also successfully prevent a relay attack? Probably not. Without seeing some independent testing/accreditation - and by testing I mean with proper relay equipment not simply putting the key in the pouch and trying to start the car - then I wouldn't like to place my faith in one.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Well they defo shield the signal when trying to unlock and start the car.  My phone and other BT devices are totally uncontactable /undetectable when in the bag .   Unfortunately I'm not a career car thief so can't confirm your point about their robustness in a relay attack but the product itself has been accredited by a number of security-centric bodies so there must be *some* level of protection from relay attacks offered.    Could be clever marketing....

To be honest part of me think 'fu*k it', if someone wants the car then they can have it and if they use a relay attack it means they don't even after enter my home and be anywhere near my family.  Most of the little scrotes don't want to risk confrontation or being caught but the odd few can and do come equipped and with the intent to use gratuitous violence to get the car.  Hopefully using some precautions and measures will mean the former type of car thief move on and look elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 08:52, Muzza80 said:

Worth noting too, you can actually disable the keyless functionality if you so wish.

For example, when you are parked at home overnight and your keys might be vulnerable to relay attack, you simply lock the car by pressing lock on the key fob, then touch the sensor on the door handle once, the indicators will flash twice.    Keyless entry is now disabled and you must press the unlock button on the key fob the next time you want to enter the car.       Makes a relay theft impossible for that period, you need the key in order to press the button.

Try it, it works. 

Never knew about this, going to start doing this in future  :thumbup:

On 04/10/2018 at 08:52, Muzza80 said:

Worth noting too, you can actually disable the keyless functionality if you so wish.

For example, when you are parked at home overnight and your keys might be vulnerable to relay attack, you simply lock the car by pressing lock on the key fob, then touch the sensor on the door handle once, the indicators will flash twice.    Keyless entry is now disabled and you must press the unlock button on the key fob the next time you want to enter the car.       Makes a relay theft impossible for that period, you need the key in order to press the button.

Try it, it works. 

This doesn't work for me. Only flashes once after touching the sensor and can still unlock by grabbing the handle.

Anyone else find the same?

Not causing offence but the attraction and effort to steal a vehicle surely leans towards high-end prestige vehicles such as Beamers, Mercs and Landies where foreign punters are waiting at foreign container ports to receive their ill gotten gains.

24 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Not causing offence but the attraction and effort to steal a vehicle surely leans towards high-end prestige vehicles such as Beamers, Mercs and Landies where foreign punters are waiting at foreign container ports to receive their ill gotten gains.

My mates house got broken into and his wife’s brand new Polo 1.2 stolen, so no, I think they’ll take whatever they can.

54 minutes ago, ahenners said:

This doesn't work for me. Only flashes once after touching the sensor and can still unlock by grabbing the handle.

Anyone else find the same?

I find you have to touch the sensor button quite quickly after pushing lock button on key fob.

Just had a play with my 2017 vRS and I can disable it by holding the lock sensor - no need to use the remote - just touch the sensor in the normal way to lock the car but leave your finger on it until the door LED stops flashing and hey presto Key-less entry doesn't work.

• Like 1