Power Inverter

Hi, thinking of buying one (as the UK car doesn't include the mains socket!) just wondered if anyone has one and what they are using and the max power that can be used without blowing the 12v socket fuses?

Assuming a 20A fuse then the absolute maximum power draw would be 240W (20x12) but you should allow a bit of headroom so stay below ~220W to avoid stressing the fuse.  Constant heating and cooling at close to maximum current causes fatigue cracks in the actual fusible link material.

Personally I wouldn't go much over the 150W with a 20amp fuse for the 12V Sockets, the unit above shown by @BillyJim is rated at >90% efficiency which means it may require near 170W to give an output of 150W, plus there is the initial surge current to consider (by both the inverter and anything connected to it).

Also be aware that cheap inverters do not offer a pure sine wave for the AC which may cause unexpected operation of certain items, such as interference on visual displays or audio outputs.Such an effect is unlikely but do not be surprised if it happens.

Wife's Mokka has one as standard, in 3 1/2 years nothing has ever been plugged in, the only devices we  use in the car (phone chargers, i-pad, cold box) are either 5v (USB) or 12v (lighter socket).

The cold box will run on 240v but why do the 12-240-12 conversions when there is a 12v socket.

I use one of these to charge my mobility scooter in the boot while on the go. Don't use it while parked as it drains the battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00INW611Y?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Been using for over a year no problems.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2018 at 15:28, Speedman said:

It will mainly be aimed at charging a laptop.

So your wanting to step up 12v to 240v to then step down to 19.5v

Are you mad? Just buy a 12v charger for your laptop.

• Like 1