Located where water coming in - advice

Hi all

A few weeks ago I added a post stating that I had noted a little bit of water in the spare wheel well, which resulted in a very awful smell in the car.  For the life of me I couldn't locate how the water was getting in.  Now I have and I need some advice!

As you can see from the attached photos, water is trickling down the side channel, as it should, on the LHS of the boot however it now appears that some of the water is getting through that cut/tear in the seal

I cant tell if the seal is purposely or accidentally split or if this is the actual design.  Regardless of this the water is going through this gap dripping down the inside of the boot wall, onto the carpet and through into the wheel well.

I seemed to have caught this in time before it did any real damage.  The only damage is the smell, which I can get rid off, and some staining/mould to the wooden base of the boot carpet.  Again I can clean this.

My question and request for advice is - can I use a sealant to seal this gap and seal the rubber to the metal so that the water continues on the right path?  If so what do you recommend.  Is there anything else that can help seal up this gap?  Also would the seal be covered by warranty?  Its a 64 Plate.

You help would be greatly appreciated!

20181017_175054.jpg

20181017_175059.jpg

20181017_175129.jpg

20181017_175348.jpg

Edited by thekaratekid

Hi,

It looks as if the seal has been removed at some point and the "join" has been split. 

Mine (suspect same age, model and colour!)  has a join at high level on the right which looks as though it was glued (hard to spot). Other that that it's a continuous seal all the way round. See photo attached.

On yours is it possible to partially pull off the seal, neaten the ends and glue it together - and then carefully push back when glue has dried/cured?

IMG_20181017_224003[1].jpg

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Seals wont be covered by warranty at 4 years.

It would help if you simply cleaned out all that muck in the channels to allow the water to flow down quickly and check it drains away at the bottom. The seal looks as its partly pulled off and not fitted properly. Do as bigjohn suggests.

If you're feeling brave you could pull the seal off completely and refit so any joints/breaks are at the bottom.

Or buy a new seal from the dealer or

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/superb-2/spare-parts/body/rear-body/rear-lid-322.html

Edited by xman

15 minutes ago, xman said:

Seals wont be covered by warranty at 4 years.

It would help if you simply cleaned out all that muck in the channels to allow the water to flow down quickly and check it drains away at the bottom. The seal looks as its partly pulled off and not fitted properly. Do as bigjohn suggests.

If you're feeling brave you could pull the seal off completely and refit so any joints/breaks are at the bottom.

Or buy a new seal from the dealer or

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/superb-2/spare-parts/body/rear-body/rear-lid-322.html

Thanks for that!  I'll certainly clean the channels and shall glue the current seal. I may at some point replace it but don't feel brave enough to try and do it myself! Can't understand why the seal would have been removed?  It was only 2 years old when we purchased it.

Any suggestions on type of glue or sealant I should use?

Silicone sealant will be best, that's a big gap to fill.

Push the boat out and pay the extra 50p for the sanitary version, it's black too...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sanitary-silicone-black-310ml/81712?tc=ET7&ds_kid=92700023141676082&ds_rl=1249416&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybvj58eP3gIVAUwNCh00Qww9EAQYASABEgIvpfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIXymuvHj94CFZqA3godz9cCOw

Capture.thumb.JPG.943306ce990c894d94c89ac142f38d19.JPG

You'll need a caulk gun too though, if you don't have one already...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/p-c-cox-easiflow-gun/79714

Capture1.thumb.JPG.d97cc8e74f326fbe0cf129d310b2fa9b.JPG

As mentioned, the immediate fix is to get some hot soapy water and a sponge and clean out the channels, they really shouldn't be left to get in that state. If the water can't flow without being impeded it will back up, overflow and fill the seals, spill over into the interior and overtime result in a higher chance of rust.

Whilst your hands are dirty, do the same with the scuttle tray (where the front windscreen wipers live), this area is a magnet for leaves and debris and the drain holes are easily blocked. If the scuttle tray is overwhelmed the water can enter the cars interior through the pollen filter and/or bulk head and there are a lot of electrical components round that area that you don't want to get wet.

If you did feel brave and wanted to renew the seal (this is what I would do), it is a really simple job, it is literally a push fit, no tools or expertise needed, and the best longer term solution.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

My fear with superglue is that'll it'll simply run through the cavernous crack and disappear inside the seal. Silicone sealant will fill the gap and remain flexible enough to move with the seal. It won't look pretty though.

Unless you're able to glue it and then hold it together in situ for a few minutes it'll simply open back up again as soon as you let go, or when the seal is compressed when the boot is shut.

Both are temporary fixes, the only proper long term solution, or a guaranteed water tight solution, is a new seal at £36 plus ten minutes of pulling the old one off and pushing the new one on.

• Like 2

Yep agree for what its worth a new seal isnt too expensive and it will sort it long term. Plus once u pull old seal off area will be easier to clean.  As others have mentioned seals just pull off and push on. They normally give you a piece that connects the 2 ends together that you push into each end of the seal, to help it hold the 2 joining ends down

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adrian55555 said:

They normally give you a piece that connects the 2 ends together that you push into each end of the seal, to help it hold the 2 joining ends down

Yup - when restoring/building cars I used a trimmed off bit of wing piping to do this

I was once revelling at the impressive boot capacity of my Superb after collecting some huge sheets of plywood from the local builders merchants.

When unloading the sheets I slid them out of the boot and proceeded to slice two neat slits in the lower corners of the boot seal, doh!

thanks Guys!!!  yes probably gonna temp fix it whilst I order a new seal.  Any idea where I can get one from?  Xman gave me this link - https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3t5827705a-5th-door-seal-skoda-18146.html

Im assuming i need the Superb "Limousine" variant and not the "Combi" variant?  Is there any uk based sellers??

My concern is that the seal looks like it need a professional to remove and install?   Its seems alot harder than it looks to replace?

It really is dead easy, you literally pull the old one off, and push-fit the new one on. See here...

Try your local Skoda dealer, sometimes prices aren't as high as you'd expect.

Just go to a skoda dealer and ask parts department. Or try TPS.   Seal literally pulls off, no tools needed, just a pair of hands. Refit in reverse, just observe how you remove it as refitting is just reverse

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

It really is dead easy, you literally pull the old one off, and push-fit the new one on. See here...

Try your local Skoda dealer, sometimes prices aren't as high as you'd expect.

Thanks Mate!  So i will have to unscrew the side panels?

No, nothing to remove, no screws, clips or brackets.

Nip outside and take a look at your current boot seal, try pulling a small section away from the car, this will give you a good feel for how they fit.

Just now, silver1011 said:

No, nothing to remove, no screws, clips or brackets.

Nip outside and take a look at your current boot seal, try pulling a small section away from the car, this will give you a good feel for how they fit.

thank you.  Thanks everyone much appreciated.  Always get get advice on this forum.  Appreciated!  Just need to locate a new seal.....

5 hours ago, silver1011 said:

When unloading the sheets I slid them out of the boot and proceeded to slice two neat slits in the lower corners of the boot seal, doh!

I once spent a spine chilling hour in the car park under an IKEA.

I have never seen so many seals, seats, door panels and roof liners getting trashed in my life.  The optimism displayed regards fitting a double bed, 2 chairs and a wall cabinet into Nissan Micra's was equally impressive and mindbogglingly insane.  If I was a marriage counsellor I woulda picked up a **** load of business too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, xman said:

Used skoda-parts.com when the drum backplates rusted away on my old Octavia - fully assembled backplates (inc backplate, springs, adjuster, shoes, cylinder etc) for 67 euros. Really good service and fast delivery.  Skoda wanted a fortune and the usual car places couldn't get them.

Edited by bigjohn