What on earth does this mean?

Morning all. 

Bought a fabia a couple of days ago and there's a symbol on the display that lights up for 30 seconds or so and I'm damned if I can find it in the handbook. Basically it's three horseshoes in white, with the opening at the bottom and a separate horizontal line under but not touching each of them.

Driving me mad trying to fathom it out!

Thank you all.

30 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Rear seat belt symbols.

If one seat was used and buckled up the symbol would  show seat was occupied and seat belt in use

Simply Clever

You, sir, are a genius! That was exactly it!

3 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Rear seat belt symbols.

If one seat was used and buckled up the symbol would  show which seat was occupied and seat belt in use

Simply Clever

Yes, simply clever. But I'm struggling to figure out the point of it.

I thought (wrongly) it might have had something to do with loading i.e. amount of passengers which the tyre pressures are set for. Like Croppie I searched in vain to find out what it meant. Out of interest where did you find the info (or are you just Simply Clever too) :).

Bill :)

p.s. it extinguishes after start up on my Fabia (and it is in a different location). Having said that I have never had anyone as a rear seat passenger.

Edited by lawnmowerman
p.s.

  Rear seat belt warning
Read and observe on page 39 first.
 A rear seat belt is not fastened
 A rear seat belt is fastened
The warning icons  or  light up after the ignition has been switched on.
When the seat belt is fastened/unfastened, the respective icon lights up briefly
and indicates the current belt status.

 = warning symbol. See page 39 of the car Manual.

If you want to see the icon for a rear seat belt being used the just clip one together before turning the ignition on.

A driver is responsible for children ( under 14 years ) to be belted up in a car.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

Out of interest, these symbols are used on all Skodas, VW's etc. I've seen similar symbols on a Mercedes C Class - perhaps they're a legal requirement to remind about using rear seat belts?

Edited by bertJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

Out of interest, these symbols are used on all Skodas, VW's etc. I've seen similar symbols on a Mercedes C Class - perhaps they're a legal requirement to remind about using rear seat belts?

IIRC the driver is not responsible if the rear seat passengers choose not wear seat belts. I think the driver must inform the rear seat passengers to wear the seat belt. If they don't he cannot be held responsible for there actions. The 3 symbols will tell the driver who has/hasn't buckled up....................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

.................................. I think the driver must inform the rear seat passengers to wear the seat belt. If they don't he cannot be held responsible for their actions....................

But the driver will be very 'upset' by the action of the rear seat passenger when he/she smashes into the back of his/her seat!!!! 

• Sad 2

Just read this!  :wondering:

Adults travelling in the rear of a car must also use seatbelts, if they're fitted. It's the responsibility of the adult passenger (not the driver) to make sure that they are using the seatbelt.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answers/is-it-the-responsibility-of-the-driver-to-make-sure-that-adult-passengers-wear-seatbelts

Thanks Ag Falco

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

So the symbols haven't been ISO'd yet?

Thanks AG Falco

Committee still sitting, expense fund not exhausted yet, plenty more choccy digestives and bourborns to be finished  then it has to be ratified, waiting for right time of year for ratification meeting in Maldives.