BHP from 2.0 TDi

olley

20 minutes ago, xman said:

The guy in the aerial is either a crap driver or his budget tyres are bald.

Nope that yeti at that time was over 500hp I believe its now 700!

Its more like an Audi TT RS with a Yeti shell. There is a build blog of it somewhere on here.

Edited by idleness
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, olley said:

Incidentally, how do you get your Yeti up to 170 bhp - what chip?

I used a remap from the now sadly defunkt Sharkperformance which I can remove and replace when I want. For me its not the Horsepower but the Torque that is important because of the towing, with a loaded trailer (950kg) on the back at a guess I have about the same acceleration as a 110 without a trailer.

• Like 1

Absolute stopping capability is usually limited by the tyres rather than the brakes.  If you are able to lock your wheels with the brakes you have then you don't need any more braking ability.

Bigger brakes, drilled brakes and vented brakes do offer better resistance to brake fade though through better heat management.  However the last time I suffered genuine brake fade was in a 1977 Mini with drums all-round, braking from 'high' speed into a roundabout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

didn't the std 170 bhp yeti come with bigger brakes on the front ?????

Yes much the same as mine is now.

Why didn't I get a 170 I hear you ask?

Because there were none available in Elegance trim when I was in the market.

• Like 1

Car Reviewers and Skoda Press Releases say the Kodiaq vRS 240ps 2.0 Bi-turbo with 20" alloys has 17" front disc brakes.

The VW Touran Allspace 240PS Bi-turbo comes with 18" or 19" Alloys.    Time will tell what discs that Kodiaq vRS are delivered with.

It doesnt really matter about UK speed limits. Car brakes are sized to stop the cars all up weight  from its maximum speed in a suitable distance. Whilst we can only legally drive at 70 in uk, you could be legally doing 130 in Germany? As said above if the brakes are too powerful the tyres then become the limiting factor, and in many circumstances the electronics will have to step in to give cadence braking and avoid tyre lock up.

Having said that the 2010 110ps Yeti I had from new had the best brakes of any car I had driven up to then. It stopped on 2 or 3 occasions safely when I was sure an impact was inevitable. 

• Like 1