2014 Monte Carlo dipped beam!

Hi all - long time lurker here and hoping someone can help.

My wife's 2014 Monte Carlo has developed an odd fault with the headlights.

Neither dipped beam is working but both high beams are. The car has the older style (but black) headlights so has just a single H7 for dipped and high beam.

When I turn the light switch from sidelights to headlights, the green light comes on the dash so the switch is working, although the DRLs in the foglight housing do stay on. The indicator stalk works for flash or constant main beam. I'm stumped as to what's causing it. I've searched for other threads but they all suggest the stalk or switch could be the problem, but that doesn't tie in with my symptoms. 

Aside from the switch activating the icon on the dash, I'm assuming it should trigger a relay somewhere to illuminate the bulbs, so could this be the problem...and where can I locate it? 

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

8 hours ago, AMD87 said:

That can’t be right as both high beam and low beam are exactly the same it’s just a shutter system 

It's an odd one, but high beam must be on a separate circuit as you can flash without having dipped on. 

Does sound a strange one, at a guess, I'd start by getting the car checked for error codes using VCDS or similar.

Sounds like the switch is fine but the BCM may have issues. I'd be tempted to disconnect the battery for five minutes and see if that helps.

2 hours ago, Lyminton said:

Check bulbs mate! I've seen it many times when both H7 bulbs gone in the same time

It's the same bulb for dipped and high and they both still work on high.

Just had a multimeter on the connections and there no current going to the bulbs when they're on dipped. Switch is working but the drls stay on which makes me think a relay isn't doing it's job somewhere

3 hours ago, Lyminton said:

Same bulb for dipped and high? H7 it's the single filament bulb...

Two bulbs per headlamp. 

H7.jpg

Not all are as pictured above

My Monte Carlo is the same bulb (it's done by a shutter)

On 24/10/2018 at 15:08, Kgod1991 said:

Not all are as pictured above

My Monte Carlo is the same bulb (it's done by a shutter)

Are you sure?

Afaik pre face lift before 2010 had the single bulb/shutter and with the face lift came a wider headlight with two  seperate bulbs, h7 projector dip and h7 reflector main as photo. I would be surprised if a 2014 monte carlo had the old pathetic light output shutter system.

Edited by xman

13 hours ago, xman said:

Are you sure?

Afaik pre face lift before 2010 had the single bulb/shutter and with the face lift came a wider headlight with two  seperate bulbs, h7 projector dip and h7 reflector main as photo. I would be surprised if a 2014 monte carlo had the old pathetic light output shutter system.

Monte Carlo came with black headlight housing as standard, it's a H7 single bulb projector with shutter (and is why the lights are shocking).

Dependent on model

Edited by Kgod1991